Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Stranded boaters

I wanted to post this just in case this information gets passed along to younger boaters and hopefully boaters that should know better. I also just wanted to vent.

I have had to tow 2 stranded boaters at Guntersville in the last 2 weeks mid lake. I towed two young guys to Waterfront who had put in at Siebold and 2 guys that should have known better to Boshart, they had put in at Goosepond. Both of these happened midlake and within an hour or so of the respective ramp I towed them to. Hours from the respective ramps they launched at.

It struck me that in both instances each of the parties was more than willing to let me tow them to where they put in at, which I immediately informed each that there was no circumstance I would tow them that far. I have no problem towing guys that are stranded a reasonable distance but I will always be frustrated that my valuable fishing time is interfered with. I personally believe I can do what's right and be frustrated at the same time, it in no way minimizes the benefit of what I did for them, an unhappy tow is way better than waiting for the next willing guy IMO. If I were stranded and needed a tow I would fully expect the generous party to not be thrilled about it.

Also, and this is me personally, in every circumstance I'm stranded I'm calling a tow boat, but I can afford that and understand that possibly some people can't, or I'm trolling in. I recently did just that. That raises another issue, in both cases, these guys also had trolling motor battery issues. All of us older/more mature guys know that trolling motor batteries that work reliably takes time, work, investment and attention to detail to ensure our trolling motors work all day almost every trip out unless there is a mechanical failure we cannot control.

To you younger and less mature guys, when you get stranded and are willing to accept a tow from a fellow fisherman, you are asking them to make a sacrifice. Take care of you sh** and try to minimize that.

Finally, neither offered compensation. Wow, my folks didn't raise me that way. I would not have accepted, but good grief, show some appreciation.

You put them on the bank safely and that’s all you’re ethically responsible for. Some people are complete idiots when it comes to the craft they are out on the water in. I towed a Dad and two sons on Conroe in 20 mph winds…the guy had no anchor or trolling motor, or tow line.
    Idiot.

3. Member
    Let me guess, you weren’t born where you live? A lot of you transplants weren’t raised as we were. I was taught you never leave someone on the water and you never complain about doing what’s right. I’ve towed more than I can remember, some minutes and some hours. I’ve never asked for, expected or bitched about not getting paid. You sir are a yankee or just an *******.

In a situation like that with 2 guys in the other boat I will generally tow them to the nearest ramp and then take one of them to the ramp where the truck and trailer is.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Member
    Hi Tigercat, thank you very much for your feedback. That was very direct with no chance for misunderstanding what your take is.

6. Member
    I towed a group once back to where they launched. It took about 30 minutes. As they got out at the pier one said to the other, can you believe we got stranded 2 days in a row.

7. Member
    I'm ashamed to say that I never even considered that option

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    In a situation like that with 2 guys in the other boat I will generally tow them to the nearest ramp and then take one of them to the ramp where the truck and trailer is.
    Smart way to do it.

9. Member
    The only disabled craft I've come across this year happened to be a pretty young lady on a Jetski. 10/10 would do it again.

10. Member
    This makes sense.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Let me guess, you weren’t born where you live? A lot of you transplants weren’t raised as we were. I was taught you never leave someone on the water and you never complain about doing what’s right. I’ve towed more than I can remember, some minutes and some hours. I’ve never asked for, expected or bitched about not getting paid. You sir are a yankee or just an *******.
    I agree! If you’re going to be an a** about helping me, just leave me floating in the middle of the lake.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Dude keep reaching, you're almost there. I have and will continue to help, tow someone in. I won't tow them them 10-20 miles to where they launched, but to the nearest place they can get help, I won't leave anyone stranded. The o p didn't leave them either, he helped. That air must be pretty thin up there sitting on your high horse.

Yes sir...... ........ I was brought up that today may be your turn and tomorrow may be mine.

This is what I did the last time I was in your situation. There was no way I was towing them for hours.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Originally Posted by Bryanmc57

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Smart way to do it.
    I've done that too and never took any money for helping someone out.

16. Member
    We rescued some in SC once who were very grateful and made a very generous offer that was not accepted.! Not all stranded folks are jack asses.! Would do it again if same situation happens again.!

this is the kindest thing to do

18. Member
    I've towed a few guys and been towed once myself. While I'm willing to help it is fair to get frustrated with some folks ignorance. Not having an anchor, tow rope, horn, etc... is just dangerous and to compound that with non-working motor/battery is irresponsible. I have always towed them to the nearest ramp, because I feel that towing a boat over long distances is dangerous and hard on my motor. The 2 times I towed someone they had called a friend to meet them at the ramp by the time I got there. Always offered $$ and was offered $$ but no one ever took it.

I’ve done that twice on Amistad. Pulled the boat to the closest dock then took a guy to the ramp where they parked. Towed one boat load of drunks out of Zorro canyon to a nearby ramp. (Box Canyon? Been a while). No way I was pulling them back to Diablo in the wind. They started yelling and threatening to kick our asses. I got them close to the dock and had my buddy cut the rope. We blew outta there in a hurry.

And guess what! I’m originally from Western NY. I was taught early on that you don’t leave anyone stranded on the lake. I’ve never accepted a penny from anyone and never will.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 07-17-2023 at 08:54 AM.

20. Member
    Back in the day ---Blew motor on FT Gibson. Was running trolling motor back (LONG ways to go ) One boat turned around and came back to tow me. Was Tommy Biffle and wife Sharon. He was in Tourney but stiil towed me back to ramp. I thanked him and he said no Problem and took off back to his Tourney !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast