Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me on Hair Jigs

I have a tournament coming this fall on a lake that has a good population of big smallmouth (along with the Largemouth), clear water and tons of pressure. The forage base is mostly shad. Traditionally the fall bite has been on top water along with some bladed jigs/swim jigs (all white or bone). Been throwing some ned rigs to finesse a bite when the fishing gets tough but thinking I would like to also try a hair jig, does that sound like a viable option? If so, who makes the best bass hair jig (no I don't tie my own)? What weights and would you work it more like a swim jig or traditional bottom presentation? I've seen videos of guys working the ledges with the hair jig but that is not exactly the situation. Thanks for the help.

Hopefully basscat21 will be along shortly to answer your questions. He's the man when it comes to hair jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Hopefully basscat21 will be along shortly to answer your questions. He's the man when it comes to hair jigs.
    true that! and any color is good as long as its black.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

4. Member
    I would say 3/32oz is the most popular. Although depending on depth you can change weight as needed. Work them over flats. The clearer the water the better. They have amazing drawing power. You'll want to make as long as casts as possible as they can track for a long time. I just bought a Shimano Zodias 7'6" Light. Great rod. I use the Seth Fieder marabou jig. Works great. It does come in white.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

5. Member
    I make my own and tie for a company. One of my best friends ties all of Howies hair jigs and for Thorne Brothers. Send me a PM and ill try to help you out. Hammy

This place has some great jigs at reasonable prices, but you have to order them by the dozen. Lots of color options. If I was fishing around shad, I would give the white/gray a shot.

ZigJig Heavy duty | ZigJig

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    I make my own and tie for a company. One of my best friends ties all of Howies hair jigs and for Thorne Brothers. Send me a PM and ill try to help you out. Hammy
    I use a lot of hair jigs especially in spring and winter so I looked up howies jigs. WOW $8 for a hair jig!!!! Man I could lose 12-15 jigs in a day fishing. That would be insane!!!

8. Member
    Agree, sort of the Cliff Clavin of hair jigs.

9. Member
    If I were to add something... they are probably the most boring, not much of a technique or feel to them while casting or reeling them back.
    But then again, if they catch fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    If I were to add something... they are probably the most boring, not much of a technique or feel to them while casting or reeling them back.
    This.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    I use a lot of hair jigs especially in spring and winter so I looked up howies jigs. WOW $8 for a hair jig!!!! Man I could lose 12-15 jigs in a day fishing. That would be insane!!!
    I agree that prices have become crazy in the tackle industry.

Rip them and let them fall. You don't have to work them all the time on a slow retrieve.

That's why I recommended Zig Jigs. Paying $8 for a marabou jig is insane.

14. Member
    True. The best way to fish them that I've found is just a straight slow retrieve. Something I had to get used to for sure, but man do they work!
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

15. Member
    You wouldn’t lose many hair jigs reeling them in off the bottom like is being discussed in this thread.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

I would make some bladed hair jigs, smaller blades.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

His jigs lack imagination.

18. Member
    The Feider Fly has a good bait keeper if you want to add a small chunk of something to give it more profile.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    His jigs lack imagination.

Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

20. Member
    Cold water - white

warm water - black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast