Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much you pay for a full 4-stoke motor service?

2021 Mercury 150 Pro XS

Called yesterday to find out how much for oil, lower unit and fuel filter.

$400-$500

Looks like it is time to learn a new skill.

2. Member
    Well, there are two sides to that coin. On one side you will save $ if you have the skills and tools to do this type of work. I admittedly am not very mechanically inclined, so fall on the other side. By using the same marine mechanic for years, even for basic service, when I absolutely need to get something fixed I they have always moved me to the front of the line.

3. Member
    I had the crankcase oil and lower unit lube changed by my favorite dealership this year for $125. Their shop rate is $150 per hour and they charged me 1/2 hour labor plus materials. V8 Pro XS.

Easy to do. A bunch of YouTube videos on these services. I do mine and I’m not a mechanic.
    2010 Basscat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    2021 Mercury 150 Pro XS

$400-$500

That is HIGH, but what is your time worth? I used to work and fix everything, now I do it a little as possible, but I wouldnt pay 500 bucks for an oil change

6. Member
    I paid $500. I think the spark plugs are $20 a piece. Then you add in the cost of oil and filters and your probably around $250. 1.5 hours of labor and your right around $500.

While the new motors have their advantages.......people are finding out what they really cost. Wait till no warranty and it is broke.
    But I do have to mix some oil in my gas and ohhh that smell...I love.

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

8. Member
    The lower unit and crankcase can drain at the same time. Retail on Merc oil is around 15 bucks a quart, dont know dealer cost plus a oil and gas filter. They change gas filter while oil is draining. They will have about 30 to 40 minutes labor. 400 to 500 is a complete hose job.

9. Member
    Oil change kit(oil,filters) from Mercury is approximately $240-250. My shop charges $125 an hour, they charged me $70 as it it took them about 1/2 hour. Worth my time and effort to have them do it.

10. Member
    The oils are a piece of cake to change. I've done them a couple times on my 2021 250 ProXS.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    2021 Mercury 150 Pro XS

$400-$500

Not much skill required... hardest part is removing the cowl.
    Best I recall actual oil and filter cost was around $100.00 at Acadamy
    That's dang cheap for a years worth of oil compared to $40.00 a gallon for two stroke oil.

12. Member
    I was charged about $1300 for a 300 hour service for my Pro XS 115 4stroke recently.

It was kind of bullshit bc I didn't mean to sign up for this. Everything was done already by me except water pump during winterizing. I took the motor in for a repair and told them to do the water pump while at it. They wrote down "full service+impeller" and I signed off on it not understanding what that meant on the work order.

That bill was quite the surprise.

13. Member
    $270 for the 20 hour service on my 2022 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I paid $500. I think the spark plugs are $20 a piece. Then you add in the cost of oil and filters and your probably around $250. 1.5 hours of labor and your right around $500.
    He asked about changing the fluids(oils) and a fuel filter. Nothing about spark plugs
    2010 Basscat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke

I will just add. Its very easy to do, the fuel filter on the 250 Pro xs is a bit tedious. Maybe its easier on the 150. Oil and lower unit can be done at the same time.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Learn to do it yourself. Very basic even to do impeller

17. Member
    I had previously paid around $500 yearly for my 1985 Evinrude XP's seasonal maintenance in February, and that included spark plug changing (6), carb cleaning and rebuild (3 carbs), fuel filter change, impeller change, lower units oil, fuel shock treatment, and lake testing. This spring I finally had enough time to at least do the plugs, carb cleaning, lower unit oil, and shock treatment so that I can lake test the boat myself, and I also found out that I needed to fix some fuel line issues and replace the plug wires because I was able to see everything.

My shop got to be so busy that I started missing the first couple of weeks of crappie pre-spawn/spawn activity and not get the boat until April, so I started getting motivated to do it myself when 2-3 weeks was slipping to 6+ weeks. Later this summer, I'm looking into doing the impeller at home once I either buy or build the stand that I need for the lower unit. I'm also planning to do a better job of keeping the carbs clean with monthly running (on muffs if not on the lake) while I build up the courage to rebuild carbs and resyncing them.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    I had the crankcase oil and lower unit lube changed by my favorite dealership this year for $125. Their shop rate is $150 per hour and they charged me 1/2 hour labor plus materials. V8 Pro XS.
    That's insanely good pricing. Oil and filter are nearly that much if you do it yourself.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    That's insanely good pricing. Oil and filter are nearly that much if you do it yourself.
    Must be a typo--
    Or I would sure want to know what kind of oil they used for that price--------$125.00 total $75.00 labor, that doesn't leave much for oil and filter.

For the amount of money some of you are paying for basic service, you could buy a Mercury manual, basic tools and Rinda Diacom software for diagnostic checks. I do as much service as possible on my 2 stroke including impeller changes, lower unit fluid changes and pressure testing and removed the power head a couple of years ago to replace a crankcase seal with a lot of help on the Mercury 3L forum. Left the power head hanging for 3.5 days on an engine hoist while I did the work.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast