Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flats boat for bass fishing

I've been thinking about getting a "flats" boat to do inshore fishing as well as bass tournaments. I have a Stratos 21SS Extreme right now and I want something that has comparable setup. It needs to be able to handle the salt as well as the fresh. There are more brands out there than I expected.
    I'm looking for suggestions. What do you like?

2. Member
    They don’t have storage like a bass boat…

3. Member
    One of the older guys in our clubs had one for a bunch of years. A Ranger I believe. After he had hip replacement surgery he switched back to an Aluminum Ranger. I fished with him once in the flats boat. Matter of fact the club is fishing the lake we fished in tomorrow. It took a little getting used to hard plastic decking and open seating platform. I want to say that also influenced him after his hip replacement. He never really got along good after the surgery and the decking was slippery in some circumstances.

4. Member
    Ranger made a Cayman 223 flats boat in early 2000's. It has a full flat deck 18inch gunnels you can easily walk all the way around, 2 full rod lockers, center bow storage is smaller due to a forward livewell (bait well). Has a 2nd aft livewell and 2 large aft storage compartments.
    Over all the layout is a pretty good compromise for both fresh and salt. Draft is 10-12"

Runs in the typical Ranger bass boat speeds (high 60's with a tournament load), handles chop well and is fairly dry ride.

They also made a Cayman 191 and there is always the illusive Ranger Intercoastal (bass boats/hull with non-skid cap)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Ranger made a Cayman 223 flats boat in early 2000's. It has a full flat deck 18inch gunnels you can easily walk all the way around, 2 full rod lockers, center bow storage is smaller due to a forward livewell (bait well). Has a 2nd aft livewell and 2 large aft storage compartments.
    Over all the layout is a pretty good compromise for both fresh and salt. Draft is 10-12"

Runs in the typical Ranger bass boat speeds (high 60's with a tournament load), handles chop well and is fairly dry ride.

They also made a Cayman 191 and there is always the illusive Ranger Intercoastal (bass boats/hull with non-skid cap)
    Cool, I'll check it out

I am in the same learning process now. After many months of study I am thinking about getting a Hewes Redfisher 18. Very nice flats boat with plenty of capability to also do near shore, as I am most interested in getting into Tarpon fishing. Anyone interested in a almost new Avid 20XB? My love now is saltwater and currently planning my fourth trip of the year to the gulf.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT180 View Post
    I am in the same learning process now. After many months of study I am thinking about getting a Hewes Redfisher 18. Very nice flats boat with plenty of capability to also do near shore, as I am most interested in getting into Tarpon fishing. Anyone interested in a almost new Avid 20XB? My love now is saltwater and currently planning my fourth trip of the year to the gulf.
    I also like the Hewes Redfisher!

8. Member
    Always thought they would be a great alternative to a bass boat. No carpet would be nice.

9. Member
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...l#&gid=1&pid=2

This is the color and style boat I mentioned. Scroll down for pictures

10. Member
    If you got the coin big O makes a great hybrid.

11. Member
    I run a vexus 2180cc that works great for both

look at avid and express as well

12. Member
    These Spyders are pretty slick. The deck was large and there seemed to be a lot of storage.

https://www.atlanticmarinefl.com/boa...orida-8646011/

13. Member
    BIG O for sure. I'd love to have one of them.

14. Member
    Take a look at the Bonefish Hill Tide 22.

My goal is to have a dual purpose rig too and there are several I've been lusting over for some time. In no particular order Shearwater X22, Sterling 200XS, Blazer 675, Lake & Bay Backwater 20 or Boca Grande 20 just to name a few. No idea what any of those are going for and I don't really want to know at the moment. Only one I've seen in person is the Shearwater and it's really nice.

Couple of quick pictures I took of the Shearwater.

Shearwater2.jpgShearwater.jpg
    Last edited by 481VSangler; 07-10-2023 at 12:39 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...l#&gid=1&pid=2

This is the color and style boat I mentioned. Scroll down for pictures
    It's a beautiful boat, I like it, but right now I have a rude and while I have loved it for years, I'm ready to move on.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    My goal is to have a dual purpose rig too and there are several I've been lusting over for some time. In no particular order Shearwater X22, Sterling 200XS, Blazer 675, Lake & Bay Backwater 20 or Boca Grande 20 just to name a few. No idea what any of those are going for and I don't really want to know at the moment. Only one I've seen in person is the Shearwater and it's really nice.

Couple of quick pictures I took of the Shearwater.

Shearwater2.jpgShearwater.jpg
    The Shearwater and Blazer will run you just north of $100k. Don't know anything about the Sterling though they're made by same company as Shearwater. I've seen some of the L&B Boca 20's selling in the neighborhood of mid $70's here in Florida. Out of all of those, if price was no object I would choose the Shearwater hands down.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    The Shearwater and Blazer will run you just north of $100k. Don't know anything about the Sterling though they're made by same company as Shearwater. I've seen some of the L&B Boca 20's selling in the neighborhood of mid $70's here in Florida. Out of all of those, if price was no object I would choose the Shearwater hands down.
    I'm definitely not spending $100,000, I'm looking for a used boat.

19. Member
    I was in the same boat.. came across a yellowfin 21 hybrid i couldnt pass up for what guy was selliing for ... it has plenty of storage and a huge deck

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydra4me View Post
    These Spyders are pretty slick. The deck was large and there seemed to be a lot of storage.

https://www.atlanticmarinefl.com/boa...orida-8646011/
    boat looks beautiful, but really surprised that it only has a 115hp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast