300V8 Verado Sport Exhaust - Intermittent ON / OFF

First, this 300V8 has been a great motor since I took ownership in 2019.

300XLVER HP: 300 Serial No: 2B596141

Sport Exhaust has been coming On & going Off on its own, with no helm inputs.

Neither the MERC VV panel, nor the 2 Simrad EVO MFDs units will turn Sport Exhaust off. Although they previously would do that.

Recently displayed 'OVERRIDE' - see Photo.

Anyone see this before? Fix?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There may be a problem with the sport exhaust actuator (it may be stuck or malfunctioning).

You still have an active PLATINUM Product Protection plan- so your dealer should be able to rectify this for you (the parts MAY be covered still).

BTW: You have an outstanding Service Bulletin 2022-14 that they need to take care of as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. Appreciate the quick reply.

4. Member
    UPDATE:

Don, 35 miles offshore Gulf of Mexico and we get a 1024-6 fault. No other faults. Long story short, I did a full power down including battery switches & attempted a restart. Cranked but no fire. Powered down, waited about 30 mins this time cranked right up & we ran all the way home. Very, very fortunate.

Stopped to unload people at dock and was again seeing 1024-6 limited to 600 rpm. Plus the Sport Exhaust Fault began beeping like crazy. So we loaded on trailer and will be heading to my dealer for all of the above PLUS some paint issues - see pics. I took delivery in July 2019. How will MERC likely rectify the blistering bumbling paint? Still 1 yr Platinum left. Rest of boat looks close to showroom. BTW, my previous 350 L6 Verado was used in exact same location with zero corrosion issues.

Until these recent issues, the 300 V8 really has been a trouble free beast! :-)

Many thanks for your thoughts / suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The fault and sport exhaust problem: Quite likely.

Paint: Unlikely given the age (very seldom outside of factory warranty period).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Still have 1 yr Platinum warranty left. Thanks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter77346 View Post
    That's not warranty, it's a product protection plan. Factory warranty ended 3yrs after purchase.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter77346 View Post
    Silverfox is correct- Platinum is a Service Contract that covers SPECIFIC components and systems against defects in materials or workmanship (only).