Need a little input on what I am looking at

So. I learned some new stuff today. Like, just pausing the graph and hitting "mark" just marks the position of the boat, not the rocks or whatever you are trying to mark off to the side on side vue. For that, you gotta hit that button up in the upper right hand corner to mark where the cursor is. Go ahead and laugh and take a few pokes at me, I deserve it. Not going to tell you how many "waypoints" I have marked up until now and could never find a darn thing back. I know. Read the manual. Once you stop laughing, please read on... thanks...

I learned this cause I was trying to find rock piles, brush piles, etc to fish now that the weather is here for that kind of thing and that's where all the fish are. So once that got straightened out, I marked what appeared to be a fairly significant rock pile on the side scan, only to discover when I went back over it with down imaging, it appeared as you see below. So I kinda zoomed in on it and took that pic. My question is, how likely is it those are bass sitting just over it? Cause if so, I never had any idea stuff would look so big on side scan, and so small on downvue.

I did see some other rock piles, brush or what not that had all kinds of rice grains sitting over it as well. But it was getting later when I got my act together, so I didn't downvue those, I think that might be for Sunday early AM when I go back to this lake again.

Any information helps. Still trying to get the most out of what I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I learned this cause I was trying to find rock piles, brush piles, etc to fish now that the weather is here for that kind of thing and that's where all the fish are. So once that got straightened out, I marked what appeared to be a fairly significant rock pile on the side scan, only to discover when I went back over it with down imaging, it appeared as you see below. So I kinda zoomed in on it and took that pic. My question is, how likely is it those are bass sitting just over it? Cause if so, I never had any idea stuff would look so big on side scan, and so small on downvue.
    Here is my take on the rock pile: on side vu you are looking at it from the top so you will see all of it whether narrow or wide. When you get on top of it with down vu, you are only seeing a piece of it which is why it seems so small.....with side you see the width of rock while down you see the height off bottom.

As for fish, i cant tell, you just dont know unless you catch them and catch them all the time in that spot.

That's my take on it.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Thanks, appreciate the reply and the input. :)

4. Member
    Learned a lot today from watching YouTube vids. Picked up a great tip, use down view and you will see all kinds of fish and stuff in the water, but to eliminate a lot of stuff use traditional view and tweak the settings to filter out the smaller stuff so you can see better the larger returns/hooks that can be the larger fish, ie bass.

Applying that method to those dots on that rock pile above might have revealed more about what those were in reality just by how they looked on traditional sonar. Nothing but fishing it is going to confirm if they are bass, and if they are decent sized, but there is a process of elimination I am learning to reduce wasted time.