dartag1829

Quadraphonic 8 Track

So the CB handle thread had me thinking of the 70's when I raced MX and traveled a lot. I won a Quadraphonic 8 track and 5 tapes of my choice from an electronics store. It came with a demo tape that would move the sound from speaker to speaker. It had a Jet Engine track that was amazing back then. I used to play it with the doors open early in the morning to wake up my buddies.

Pink Floyd Darkside of The Moon was awesome.

Anyone else have one.

2. Member
    Do you recall the brand. I had a Karco that was good

Quote Originally Posted by Cranko201 View Post
    Do you recall the brand. I had a Karco that was good
    I think you meant Kraco. That was a big seller in my youth for the ones who couldn't afford a Pioneer.

4. dartag1829
    Pretty sure it was a Pioneer. It was a stand alone player no raido inside. I mounted it in an overhead console I had made. I do remember the wife selling it and a box full of tapes for 10.00 at a garage sale. The guy was very happy.

5. Member
    Had a Craig with a locking mount so you could remove it and lock it up in the trunk. Lot of cars got broken into for the player and tapes.
    John the Garage Doorman

6. Member
    I think mine was Panasonic. Edgar Winter-Frankenstein would use all 4 speakers and make your head Spin.

7. Member
    Had one in my 73 442, Brand ,,,,, uuuuhhh ,, it was 45+years ago.
    Had that C.B in it too, with that 100watt linear

8. Member
    Had a Lear stand alone in my 69 Mustang.

9. Member
    I believe mine was a home unit- the brand was a Capeheart. Came with four big speakers and had a turntable on top. I'm thinking it was around 150 bucks (1974).......my favorite two tapes were Dark Side and Overnite Sensations by Zappa. In his amazing guitar solo on the song "Montana" its was like he was walking around your living room playing his guitar.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

10. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I had several 8 tracks in several different cars. I did have a Quadraphonic for awhile but availability of tapes was limited. My favorites were Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer and Yes.

Trivia ~ Bill Lear, the man that conceived and manufactured the Learjet (first proclaim business jet) invented the 8 Track cassette player. Hence the "Lear" brand

i bought a Jeep Honcho pickup once that had an 8-track player. Stores had pretty much stopped selling the tapes by then but the previous owner left 1 Van Halen tape and 1 Beach Boys tape in the glovebox! That's all I jammed for the year I owned that thing... LOL

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Do any ever show up on eBay? That would be 8 Track Euphoria

13. dartag1829
    Amazing the changes when you look back. Reel to Reel, 8 Track, Cassette, CD, used to burn them off NAPSTER. , Ipod or other electronic player. Now paying for streaming off phones. May have forgotton something. What next.

14. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    I have a reel to reel with 8 track player/recorder on the side.

Akia 1800 SD Still use the reel to reel. 8 track works too but the tapes come apart when it gets to the splice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Too far back to remember. I remember the quadrphonic.

Buddy of mine has a surround sound lazer disc system set up in his bonus room over his garage. Hes a mopar gearhead with 4 minted out muscle cars in original condition. You want to hear some sound listen to Bullit with Steve McQueen and the Terminator flicks in a small room blown out with surround sound.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    Too far back to remember. I remember the quadrphonic.

Buddy of mine has a surround sound lazer disc system set up in his bonus room over his garage. Hes a mopar gearhead with 4 minted out muscle cars in original condition. You want to hear some sound listen to Bullit with Steve McQueen and the Terminator flicks in a small room blown out with surround sound.
    Have a similar Pioneer setup with surround sound processor and Bose AM7 in my shop - love the THX sound effect…

17. Member
    Dad had more than one car with 8-track decks in them, can't remember any brands. We also had a Zenith stereo that had AM/FM, 8-track, record player all in one unit, it came with 4 speakers. Worked great and when we got a pool table in the basement it was fantastic to have those 4 speakers spread out around the room.