Thread: Suzuki or Merc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suzuki or Merc?

I’m considering repowering my 1999 BassCat Pantera (19’6”) with a 4 stroke. I know this is a Suzuki forum, but looking for people with experience.

I have a merc dealer within about 30-45 min. Nearest Suzuki dealer for repower is about 2 hrs. That distance for service doesn’t bother me much if I won’t need them much.

Looking at 150HP motors. boat is rated for 200, but has a 150 on it now and its about perfect so not wanting to go bigger. Anyone with experience with both that would be willing to share why they went Suzuki?
    1999 BassCat Pantera - 2000 Mercury Optimax 150

2. Member
    I had a 175DF Suzuki on a Stratos rated for 200HP. It was not as quick as the Evinrude Ficht 175 that was on there before. I replaced the 175DF with a 200DF. It's much better IMHO. Almost everyone will tell you to buy the maximum the hull is rated for, as I will too. You can always use less throttle if you want to.
    Once you get the prop figured out, in most cases your old Merc will outperform a 4 stroke Suzuki, but they are good for getting you back from where you been, quietly and on less gas.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I had a 175DF Suzuki on a Stratos rated for 200HP. It was not as quick as the Evinrude Ficht 175 that was on there before. I replaced the 175DF with a 200DF. It's much better IMHO. Almost everyone will tell you to buy the maximum the hull is rated for, as I will too. You can always use less throttle if you want to.
    Once you get the prop figured out, in most cases your old Merc will outperform a 4 stroke Suzuki, but they are good for getting you back from where you been, quietly and on less gas.
    I don’t disagree with the get the max HP. I usually agree. My boat is a 1999 BassCat Pantera with a 150 Optimax. It performs very well. I’m not against going more HP but I am against going more $$. I can afford a 150. Not sure about a 200. My other concern is that the 4 stroke will be heavier. Not sure its smart to go bigger if its too heavy on an older boat. If it will get the boat on plane quickly and get me where I’m going and back, I’m good.

I’ve been reading about issues the Mercury motors are having and I’ve never talked to anyone with a Suzuki that was unhappy with it.

4. Member
    Obi Wan, the Suzuki 150/175/200 are all based on the same engine block and weigh almost identical amounts.

So putting a 175 or 200 on instead of 150 makes no difference weight wise.

Get the most hp in that range that you can afford!!

You will need to be careful with the Suzuki after having an opti - they are simply so quiet that you will be at risk of leaving them running while fishing or when you pull the boat out on the trailer!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Obi Wan, the Suzuki 150/175/200 are all based on the same engine block and weigh almost identical amounts.

So putting a 175 or 200 on instead of 150 makes no difference weight wise.

Get the most hp in that range that you can afford!!

You will need to be careful with the Suzuki after having an opti - they are simply so quiet that you will be at risk of leaving them running while fishing or when you pull the boat out on the trailer!
    That’s good to know about the weight. My boat is red and white. A white Suzuki would look real good on the back.

If it were me in your shoes I would price out the Suzuki 200, A merc 175 Pro XS and a 200 Pro XS. In the end the Suzuki will come out cheaper just be a little slower on the topend.
    Last edited by JoePA; 07-05-2023 at 10:15 AM.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    If it were me in your shoes I would price out the Suzuki 200, A merc 175 Pro XS and a 200 Pro XS.
    I'm waiting on a quote on the Suzuki now. I found a Merc 150L 4 stroke with 37 hrs for $13,500. Just not sure how that motor compares to the Pro XS. I will be at a dealership next week.

8. Member
    The deal with Suzuki is simple maintenance and easy on fuel. Goes a little slower but most likely won’t have as many problems as the other black motor.

9. Member
    I was a merc owner for over 30 years. I repowered Suzuki last summer. 1998 225 EFI to a 250 SS. To me, it was beyond an easy decision. Why? Because of the sheer numbers of 4 stroke merc guys at the ramp who would say “ I wished I’d have kept my old merc two stroke”.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzoukispot View Post
    I was a merc owner for over 30 years. I repowered Suzuki last summer. 1998 225 EFI to a 250 SS. To me, it was beyond an easy decision. Why? Because of the sheer numbers of 4 stroke merc guys at the ramp who would say “ I wished I’d have kept my old merc two stroke”.
    Whauutt??

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoukispot View Post
    More then likely they lost performance going to a 4 stroke.

When I looked at Suzuki there rigging was an ouch moment, seeing more issues on book of faces since Suzuki`s are getting more popular. Would I buy one sure but I would also buy a Merc which one was readily available and best service center nearby.

12. Member
    Going with a Suzuki if I decide to repower the boat. I’ve got several dealers close to me. Met with them today. One thing they all said was, “We just don’t have problems with Suzuki.” Couldn’t say that about the Mercury’s. Best I got was, “We don’t see the problems we used to.”

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    More then likely they lost performance going to a 4 stroke.

When I looked at Suzuki there rigging was an ouch moment, seeing more issues on book of faces since Suzuki`s are getting more popular. Would I buy one sure but I would also buy a Merc which one was readily available and best service center nearby.
    I saw a rigging video of the new 250SS and the rigging is simplified and they fixed a lot of the issues that used to piss off riggers.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I saw a rigging video of the new 250SS and the rigging is simplified and they fixed a lot of the issues that used to piss off riggers.
    Rigging is done by trained Suzuki dealers, is it not?

I know for sure that both here and in Aus, dealers can lose their franchise if they sell a motor (other than portable models) “in the box” for an unauthorised person to install. They actually have to certify that they have installed it, set it up, set up gauges and tested them, when they register the warranty.

Why would you want to install yourself anyway? To save $3-400 on a $20K deal?
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-14-2023 at 04:14 AM.

15. Member
    Rigging is done by trained Suzuki dealers, is it not?

I know for sure that both here and in Aus, dealers can lose their franchise if they sell a motor (other than portable models) “in the box” for an unauthorised person to install. They actually have to certify that they have installed it, set it up, set up gauges and tested them, when they register the warranty.

Why would you want to install yourself anyway? To save $3-400 on a $20K deal?
    Yes, it was a rigging video done by one of the dealers. One of the gripes this dealer has was the "tube" where the cables and lines came out of the motor. I guess the new 250SS has simplified the rigging process with everything mostly digital. Here's the video:

2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

16. Member
    Interesting video. Watched it all through.

For sure the fly by wire engines are easier for the dealers to rig, no throttle or gear cables to measure, connect and adjust linkages on, and get thru the rigging tube. Less things going thru that tube sure makes it easier. Thats been the same with any of the AP (fly by wire) models since they were introduced.

And as shown the Suzuki SDS software is needed to initialise and configure it all.

I was waiting for them to show the keyless ignition but I guess it was not optioned on this install!

And was hoping to see them run thru more of what can be seen on the SMG4 gauge. He mentioned water pressure which was something of a surprise, I don’t see it even as an option on mine.

17. Member
    When I get the time, I’m heading back to the dealer to get the engine installed. Big question I forgot to ask was, will the hydraulic steering I put on a few years ago still work with the Suzuki or will I have to change it too?

18. Member
    I expect that the hydraulic steering should be fine.

I recommend you get the Suzuki SMG4 digital gauge too.

19. Member
    I most certainly wouldn't waste money under powering a hull, hurts performance and resale value big time. Why are you leaving Yamaha out? A 200 Yamaha SHO is what I would go with.

20. Member
    I expect that the hydraulic steering should be fine.

I recommend you get the Suzuki SMG4 digital gauge too.
    Thanks. I was hoping to go with the digital gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast