dartag1829

MLF Stage 6 St Clair Boat Observations.

I was a boat official in the MLF Event Lake St Clair this week. Got to ride in 4 different boat with the pro’s. The morning runs were fast as they had 40 minutes run time. 10 minutes was added because of the idle time out of the park. In the afternoon lines out was at 4:00. All pro’s put everything away and didn’t push it back to the ramp. Conditions went from calm to 3-4 footers. Didn’t get boat lengths but figure they were all 21 foot.
    Day 1 Terry Scroggins Triton with a 250 Mercury. Morning conditions calm. We ran down to the mouth of the Detroit River. Fished then ran to Canada. Only real rough water were boat wakes. It rode smooth. Was slow to get on plane which he said was due to being full of gas. Seat was comfortable.

Day 2. Tommy Biffle Ranger Mercury. Morning conditions SW winds 10-15 increasing all day. We ran across to Canada. I did get wet from the waves off the boat splashing out into the wind. Seat was very comfortable. Boat ran good but he never got above 40 mph. After an hour we ran to the bottom of the Detroit River 45 miles. He ran it hard hitting lots of waves. The Troll Tamer ripped out of the floor. I was amazed it had small screws holding it down. We stopped and he tied it down with a rope. After fishing we had a 50 mile run back to Metro Park in Very Rough water. Run time was 1.5 hours. I was soaked from water splashing in. I will say I am a Ranger guy but was not impressed with the ride.

Day 3 Anthony Gaglardi Falcon Suzuki. We ran across to Canada in 2-3 footers. The ride was nice but he speared a couple waves we both got wet. That motor sounded like a Diesel Truck. Very Throaty compared to the Merc. It was also slow getting on plane due to being full of gas. The ride back was wild as the wind had shifted so he zig zagged thought troughs. Did take a couple waves over the front. 21 mile run took 45 minutes. I was impressed with the quality of the interior of the boat.

Day 4 Gary Klein Caymas Mercury. Again we went across to Canada. We has a camera guy in the boat sitting on the center coin box. It was tight. The seat had little foam and I would bottom out with every wave we hit. Again it took us 45 minutes to run 19 miles. He had the Power Pole Paddles on the Poles. It worked great positioning the boat so he could fish downwind. Drawback was the Big waves would come over the back of the boat. They would come between the seats and fill the footwell. The camera guy got a foot wash every time. At the end of the day we did the 19 mile run into the waves. Made it in 50 minutes. He had the boat trimmed up and it rode pretty good. An odd thing was every time he would start the Mercury a puff of blue smoke that smelled like oil smoke came out.

Conclusion. I am amazed those boats and equipment hold up in the beating they take. In my working days I was a crash test coordinator for GM. I would love to know if boat and trolling motor companies do any impact testing for trolling motor, hull and deck strength.

On a side note when I was with Klein we saw Keith Poche in that Tiny boat out In 3 foot waves fishing. He was kneeling down to fish. The boat would disappear in the waves. I talked to his official the next morning. He was a young kid. He said it was not a fun day. I give Keith credit of making a statement using that boat but it is a safety issue.

2. Member
    Great perspective is somewhat similar conditions for all four.

I enjoyed your recap. Very informative!
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Thanks for taking the time to write this and the other post up!!!!!
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Curious, as a passenger what was protocol for going into and out of Canada? Do you need your passport?

Thanks for sharing Steve. Were you sore at all from the rough rides?

Thank you, Great write up. What about the catch?

8. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Billdoe708 View Post
    Curious, as a passenger what was protocol for going into and out of Canada? Do you need your passport?
    No because we did not land. It was asked about powerpoling touching bottom but they director had checked and it was not a problem. When I fished with Biffle we were 3 feet from breakwalls in Canada. Everyone we saw was very friendly. I think everyone over there has a dog that would greet us. Biffle talked to every one of them.

Since I fish Canada I have a copy of my passport, birth certificate and driver's license in a pack i carry along.

9. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Thank you, Great write up. What about the catch?
    I did this one of my days on the water.

My MLF Stage 6 Boat Official Story (bbcboards.net)

"When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billdoe708 View Post
    Passport, enhanced drivers License or Nexus card. As long as you don’t anchor or touch land to don’t have to “declare” which would require going to port of entry.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Thanks for the perspective. Sounds like a beating up there. You are a brave man!

13. Member
    I thought you also have to report if you tie up with another boat. How would that work if they are shuffling around camera men? Does it have to be meeting up with a Canadian boat?

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Thanks Again

15. Member
    Good write up. So if you could only pick a brand from those 4, which would you chose?

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Good write up. So if you could only pick a brand from those 4, which would you chose?
    Good question. Whatcha think Op??

18. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Probably the Falcon with a Mercury. Not that i could afford any of them.