Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett dead after drowning in Florida

This is heartbreaking news. Ryan was a local football star at Texas High in Texarkana, and went on to play for Arkansas before the NFL. He was a fine young man by all accounts. You’ll be missed Ryan.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/former-nfl-quarterback-ryan-mallett-dead-drowning-florida
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

3. Member
    The Florida panhandle and Alabama Gulf Coast has claimed many lives this past week. Rip currents have been horrible. Prayers for all families that has felt with this same type of tragedy this past week.

4. Member

5. Member
    This happened near where I live and grew up. Unfortunately it happens over and over again. I know a lot of members come to the Panhandle of Florida for vacation. Guys, please be aware that that beautiful water will kill you. No matter how strong a swimmer you when a rip current grabs you even the strongest swimmer can be overpowered. Every year families go home without a loved one. It's sad, it's tragic, it's unnecessary and many times it's the rescuer who dies. Please!! Learn the flag system and add an extra margin of safety and be aware that often the rips can't be seen.
    Don\'t be in such a hurry, after retirement there\'s only one big event left in your life.

6. Member
    wow
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

7. Member
    I was just reading today that many beaches in the Gulf have been double red flagged…closed to everybody, with fines for enforcement.

The rips have been particularly bad this year
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

That is a shame, sorry to hear that.

9. Member

10. Member

, very sad.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    I was just reading today that many beaches in the Gulf have been double red flagged…closed to everybody, with fines for enforcement.

The rips have been particularly bad this year
    One of the sheriffs in that area stated that LE and EMS personnel are putting themselves at risk almost daily to rescue/recover people from the water. On top of that, they have to endure insults and middle fingers from beach goers. What the F$$* is wrong with people?
    My son’s family and a bunch of friends are heading for Destin next week. This hit home with him since he knew Ryan. They’ll be extra vigilant.
    Our heart goes out to Ryan’s family. He was a fine young man.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampRiderz View Post
    This happened near where I live and grew up. Unfortunately it happens over and over again. I know a lot of members come to the Panhandle of Florida for vacation. Guys, please be aware that that beautiful water will kill you. No matter how strong a swimmer you when a rip current grabs you even the strongest swimmer can be overpowered. Every year families go home without a loved one. It's sad, it's tragic, it's unnecessary and many times it's the rescuer who dies. Please!! Learn the flag system and add an extra margin of safety and be aware that often the rips can't be seen.
    A rip current just pulls you out to sea, correct? A strong swimmer should be able to float and tread water for hours.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    A rip current just pulls you out to sea, correct? A strong swimmer should be able to float and tread water for hours.
    Growing up on a beach with lots of sandbars and rip currents between them, my parents always told us that if you get swept off your feet don't panic and fight against it and definitely don't try and swim against it. Just save your energy and ride it out then once out of the current, swim to safety. We definitely did some stupid stuff. I can remember countless times when the tide had come up or it was high that we had to bounce across and each time we bounced up, we would be carried several feet to the side ending up 100+ yards off course by the time we reached the next sand bar.

16. Member
    Sad and easily preventable with an understanding of how rip currents work. Never fight against a rip current, it will exhaust you until you drown. Always swim perpendicular to the current, parallel to the beach, until you are out of the current then swim back to the beach.

17. Member
    And that is exactly the way to handle one if you can remain calm enough, keep your head and are a strong enough swimmer to make it back to shore. Unfortunately panic is the usual response plus many times the seas are rough along with rip, these rips do not run parallel to shore and may pull you a good distance before weakening. As a kid I've tried it while wearing fins, mask and snorkel and having a friend with a float alongside and could not swim against it long enough to make it to shore. Sometimes it only pulled me a little way and other times I was hoping my buddy could still see me.
    Don\'t be in such a hurry, after retirement there\'s only one big event left in your life.

18. Member
    **edit** looks like they just released the body cam and this wasn't a rip current death. Probably more along the lines of a medical issue
    Last edited by Poppin' Frog; 06-29-2023 at 01:43 PM.

19. Member
    yes, that's correct. Exhaustion from trying to fight it instead of just letting it run it's course is what actually kills the majority of people.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampRiderz View Post
    And that is exactly the way to handle one if you can remain calm enough, keep your head and are a strong enough swimmer to make it back to shore. Unfortunately panic is the usual response plus many times the seas are rough along with rip, these rips do not run parallel to shore and may pull you a good distance before weakening. As a kid I've tried it while wearing fins, mask and snorkel and having a friend with a float alongside and could not swim against it long enough to make it to shore. Sometimes it only pulled me a little way and other times I was hoping my buddy could still see me.
    Trying to swim against it seems pretty stupid to me, but I suppose if panic sets in then people do stupid things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast