Thread: TURN DOWN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TURN DOWN

Went to the VA today to get a military ID. Was turned down. Said I made too much money. Was drafted in 1968 and spent two years in the states. I was one of the lucky ones. Wish I had have saved the letter the government sent saying no one would be turn down. Just wanted a ID for discounts that some stores offer.

Let me do some homework on this...my gut is telling me there was a serious misunderstanding. If you have a copy of your DD214, registering for the VA, regardless of whether or not you are receiving compensation or medical care should not be dependent on your income. There should be no reason why they would need to know your income level. If you honorably served and discharged and have your DD214 that should be enough.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    i went to a VA office with my DD214 they did all the info input got me an appointment to have my hearing tested.. Told me to take my hearing aids out before going into the office failed the test was awarded a small check monthly and received a letter stating that had I not waited 43 years to apply they could have made it more. Did receive a VA card and medical

4. Member
    They told me since I hadn't been in a combat zone that I wasn't entitled to benefits. Also said I made to much money. Just worked for railroad. A lot more jobs paid more than what I made.

Combat zone has no bearing. You should have asked to see their supervisor. If you have a copy of your DD214 and any other documents from the time you served you should go see a VSO in your area. Get a claim started and go from there.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    I was never in a combat zone either was in North Africa two years and Turkey six months Germany three years.

7. Member
    I used to get the “you make too much money” line, but that did not stop them from issuing me a card. I was low priority for appointments because I made too much.

One day me and a VSO were talking and he had me make an appointment. He gave me a copy of the reg stating I could deny telling the VA my income. That automatically gave me a copay, but because of my rating I was paying them anyway. That VSO was GOLD! He ended up helping me get closer to the number I think I’ve earned and I was changed to a higher priority tier.

I agree with finding your local VSO. It takes a couple of weeks in my area to get an appointment with one but it’s well worth the wait. EX: Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids in most cases. I pick those up from the local VA early July. It could be a LOT more than just discounts for you!

8. Member
    Thanks for all the information!!

9. Member
    Frequently read this forum. As a Vietnam Vet...and a hearing issue I am seriously thinking of getting an appointment with the VA after reading this thread.

I have previously avoided the VA.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Frequently read this forum. As a Vietnam Vet...and a hearing issue I am seriously thinking of getting an appointment with the VA after reading this thread.

I have previously avoided the VA.
    Sir, I recommend you contact the Knox County VSO and get in to see them prior to contacting the VA. They will be able to guide you in the initiation of the various claim processes. The VSO will probably recommend that you get a hearing test from an independent audiologist prior to your visit to the VA. Costco will do it for free if you're a member. My limited experience with the folks at the VA clinics in Knoxville has been positive. Good luck with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by CRGart View Post
    Went to the VA today to get a military ID. Was turned down. Said I made too much money. Was drafted in 1968 and spent two years in the states. I was one of the lucky ones. Wish I had have saved the letter the government sent saying no one would be turn down. Just wanted a ID for discounts that some stores offer.
    You qualify if you had a honorable discharge. Fill out for one on the web.

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

12. Member
    Right after I got in 72 the local VA was a joke! He also told me I didn't qualify because I had a job! I gave up after many attempts,until one day i was so sick that just walked in the door at our cheesy rundown VA clinic. The girl at the desk printed out a card after I gave her my DD214. I was seen right away and was treated for an ear infection. I haven't been back since.And now I'm thinking I should have followed up with my health issues through the years.

13. Member
    I'm 80, not a combat vet. Do have the Vietnam Service and Campaign ribbons awarded, and visited the country a few times in late '60's. My GF keeps complaining about my hearing. Maybe I should visit the VA, it could quiet her down.

Just started the process 7/31/23. Took my DD214 to our local Virginia Department of Veteran Affairs. He looked at my DD214 and asked me several questions. He said to come back 8/14/23 for a 10:00 face to face appointment and we would know if I was approved for hearing aids.
    I have been told numerous times that I brought home more than $48,000 a year and I was not qualified.
    1960-1964 USN

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

15. Member
    Go to your local Veterans Affairs office and appeal it. Take you DD-214 with you.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

16. Member
    I cannot believe this is still happening. Makes me sick that it is. The best thing you can do, is go to a VSO. And if needed, get a lawyer (there are tons out there who will help and not take a significant portion of your money post claim). This sort of thing reminds me of when I was in, and I had to go to finance -- they literally act like it is their money coming out of their wallet.

17. Member
    https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligi...iority-groups/

Caddyjoe you are still hearing it because there are still priority groups that have income implications.

18. Member
    Does Arkansas allow veteran status on your driver's license? If so, just get it put on there for your discounts. That's what I did here in Maryland.

19. Member
    You don't have your military id any longer? That's all I use when trying to get a military discount.

Went straight to VA in Salem, VA. They enrolled me in the VA. Then sent me to Audiology for a schedule. Had my appointment for hearing test last Thursday. My hearing aids will be here November 14.

I made the mistake of going to the Virginia Office of Veteran Affairs. Don't do this. It waisted a lot of my time with no help. Go straight to the closest VA Hospital.

I wasn't looking for medical benefits, just hearing aids. You will be surprised how easy it will be.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast