Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Dane/ Giant Schnauzer Breed

Have any of you ever owned one of these breeds of dog ?
    I have had pure Great Dane dogs before but not one that was a mix breed.
    Asking for pro and cons .
    sire is Great Dane
    mom is Giant Schnauzer
    we have a chance to get a 8 week old puppy.
    trying to decide between that breed or a 8 week old purebred German Shepherd.
    I had my 1st German Shepherd when I was 3 until I went into Army and then had Great Danes for about 12 years
    ready for a big dog again to take out on boat with me fishing,
    Last big dog I had lived full life and passed away from old age, was tuff to take but been few years now, so I think I’m ready.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

I had a half Great Dane and half Doberman. He was one 1 of 12 puppies. I chose him when I saw all the other puppies following around the owner enmass, he was the one soloist exploring elsewhere. I didn't clip his tail or ears. Although he could sweep off a coffee table of items with his tail in one swoop. It gave him so much personality. He was a fantastic dog. Very affectionate. He loved riding in th back of the truck. I had him 13.5 yrs.
    silas.JPG
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

3. Banned
    Remember the great cine classic Jaws?? "We're going to need a bigger boat..." switch 'shovel' for 'boat'

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Remember the great cine classic Jaws?? "We're going to need a bigger boat..." switch 'shovel' for 'boat'
    Had one named duke, he would go through more than 40 pounds of dog food every 10 days or so. Had to stay on top of his land mines or it would get out of control. He loved my wife and slept with her every night. Loved to ride in the SUV with his head sticking out the window. He had a girl friend Great Dane from down the street that was deaf. They played really rough with each other but were gentle with other dogs and people. I would never own another one as he took a lot of long walks and I’m to old to walk him 3 times a day for more then 3 miles each walk.
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Member
    We had a Giant Schnauzer (Gracie) . What a GREAT DOG she was !!! So smart and as Loyale of a dog as i have ever had !!! She was very gentle with any lil children or people that we had over . But 2 diff times i saw her be VERY protective of myself and my wife when she felt we were being threatened . Once again she is one of the 2 best dogs i ever owned !! Only drawback is their lifespan is usually 9 to 10 years. At 10 years she got a big tumor on her shoulder and passed away. We still always think about her .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    I have a 2 year old Great Weim at home. She is a HANDFUL at best. Most hard headed dog I have ever owned. She really is a good dog but she still has 0 idea how big and strong she is. When she gets to playing with the lab, she can pick her up and shake her like a rag doll. She is just playing but she absolutely just shreads the other dogs up. Its not pretty either, usually turns into a fight all because she was trying to play. Just barely she is starting to finally calm down. But it doesnt matter how much or how hard of discipline I leaned on that dog, she is flat out just doing what she wants to do. Huge heart though, has the great dane lean with the weim curiosity and drive.

7. Member
    I also want a big dog. Looking at Black Russian Terriers. They have giant schnauzer in them. My daughter has one, amazing animal.

8. Member
    You want a big dog look into a Brazilian Mastiff. My neighbor had a brindle that went 230lbs and he wasn't fat. He would block the road when the other neighbors would ride their horses down Had to get rid of him when his wife got pregnant.
    Last edited by BillsFan; 06-21-2023 at 07:02 PM.

9. Member
    Have had giant breed dogs for 15 years now. Our first was a rescue, he was a Dane/English Mastiff. Best dog I have ever had in my life. We have a 5 years old Great Dane now, he is another rescue. He has some anxiety issues, and is VERY protective of my wife and the ladies and kids in our family.

10. Member
    20230117_084747.jpg
    Our big one. Cane Corso.
    20230120_085912.jpg

11. Member
    Black Russian Terriers are wonderful large dogs but you have to want another family member because they will insist on being a part of your pack. It's a big inside dog.

12. Member
    We have a 105 female Giant Schnauzer. She’s one of the best dogs we have ever had. Very smart and loyal. At one time we had all 3 versions at the same time, giant, standard and a mini. I won’t have any other breed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thankyou All for the replies, everyone of dogs are all very good looking.
    We are going to stop and see these little puppies, this Sunday. I am sure we will be going home with one.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by george liles View Post
    We have a 105 female Giant Schnauzer. She’s one of the best dogs we have ever had. Very smart and loyal. At one time we had all 3 versions at the same time, giant, standard and a mini. I won’t have any other breed.
    OMG she looks just like ours (Gracie) did !!! She also weighed 100 lbs. Such a great breed !!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by george liles View Post
    OMG she looks just like ours (Gracie) did !!! She also weighed 100 lbs. Such a great breed !! We also have a grey mini like yours too !! lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Loved to ride in the SUV with his head sticking out the window.
    That is a whole thing.. This GSP (German Sheddinghair Pointer) must've been found buried as He MUST have the window cracked or He has a HIGH PITCHED whine which is annoying.. The Others are 'good Germans'

thumbnail_IMG_7140.jpg

17. Member
    Wonder how this mix effects life span? Not sure about the Schnauzers, but Pure Great Danes are well known to live very short lives for dogs. My daughter has one now that I warned her about, and my sisters has owned many over the years. Several of hers passed away prior to 10 years. One only living 7 years. A lot of heart ache goes along with that. Beautiful dogs, but losing a pet is rough. Great dane owners have to be ready for that.

18. Member
    The giants live till 9---10 years . Ours died at 10
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

19. Member
    It is heartbreaking! I still miss our big boy. He was 12, we where blessed to have him. I'm praying that our pure bred Dane will live to 12. I spoil him daily.

20. Member
    we have the mini schnauzer. He is formally known as Master Shifu, but around here he goes by muffy.

why not look for a cross between a bulldog and a shitzu ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast