Polarized Sunglasses

A search for either of those words produces many threads on sunglasses but I don't see this question addressed.

At what light level do polarized lenses start to be beneficial? For years I have worn a pair of prescription glasses with transitions polarized lenses when I leave the house pre-dawn and switch to darker polarized glasses when it gets bright out. It is time to replace my transition lenses for a new prescription and I am trying to decide if I want them polarized since I am usually wearing them in low light situations. The non-polarized version of the transitions get lighter as well as darker so they may be better suited for how I use them. On cloudy days I would just leave them on as long as I am not losing the ability to see the rocks under the surface.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Lens color has a lot to do with that. I notice a benefit even in very low light conditions.

3. Member
    Polarized lenses reduce reflected light (from the water, windshields, etc).

4. Member
    Even on the darkest, rainiest days, a yellow polarized lens really helps for seeing underwater.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Polarized lenses reduce reflected light (from the water, windshields, etc).
    Of course, but the question is do they do any good in low light situations if there is little chance reflected light?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Even on the darkest, rainiest days, a yellow polarized lens really helps for seeing underwater.
    Unfortunately the Transitions do not come in yellow.

7. Member
    Like others have said, the polarized reduces glare that happens when light is reflected off a horizontal surface (water, car panels, roads, etc.). They will definitely help even in low light conditions because even if the sun off the water isn't hurting your eyes, there is still light being reflected off the surface. If you can see outside and it is not pitch black, then there is light being reflected off the water and is impairing your ability to see through the water. During low light conditions, you battle a balancing act between cutting the reflection to see better and cutting the ambient light out that helps you see in general. That is where lighter tints of polarized glasses come in. Yellow polarized don't cut as much ambient, but you still get the helpful effects of polarization.

It seems like polarized transitions are the perfect glass for low light conditions up to high sun, where a traditional pair of polarized sunglasses would be better suited. Especially since yellow polarized are not offered in transition.

8. Member
    I have transition glasses and a lot of times they're to dark. I have a pair of prescription wrap around sunglasses with a blue lenses and love them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Unfortunately the Transitions do not come in yellow.
    In your situation its tough, as I've had transition lenses and they really aren't great in any situation IMO. Ideally I'd just go with regular clear glasses, and a pair of prescription green lenses and yellow lenses. If you really want to stick with two pairs I'd just continue what you are doing with one polarized transition pair and a pair of darker lenses.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    My eyes have gotten old at 70 and most sunglasses block to much light for me to see really well. Crazy thing is , in my last eye checkup this past year, I still have 20-20 vision. Must be some other factor going on. I just bought those cheapo Battle Vision sunglasses , and they are yellow, and seem to brighten things some. Not sure how they will work seeing into water.

I did not know you can get transition glasses polarized. I have asked before when getting glasses. What company makes polarized transitions?

12. Member
    Call you favorite company and ask them
    Please release me,let me go.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    What company makes polarized transitions?
    Transitions. They have for years. You have been given bad information. Edit: Translations is the maker of the lenses and can be put in many frames including Costas.

I simplified things in my original post. I wanted new lenses in my transition polarized sunglasses so that they were my current prescription, but the ditz at my optometrist ordered standard lenses instead of polarized. In order to change them to polarized I am being told it will be an additional $75 and another 2 weeks.

These new lenses do get completely clear while the polarized version always have a slight tint. Since I wear them when it is dark that has some appeal. I may keep them as is since they are in wraparound frames and will be better than my standard glasses. I could then get yellow polarized glasses for the times when I don’t want to wear the dark polarized glasses and I may not pay much more than $75 for them.
    Last edited by zelmo; 06-21-2023 at 08:30 PM.