TRAILER DOLLY WHEEL GRIEF

Its been a 3 year battle with my dolly wheel. When putting boat in garage I need to go straight in then move to the side. Problem is the dolly wheel will not go from a side move to a straight move I have to use a 3 foot crow bar to move the wheel. I am on my third wheel change and replaced all the parts above the wheel bracket with no success. Boat is a 2019 518 L single axle purchased that way to move in garage easier. Has anyone else battled this issue or does someone have an idea for a fix as Ranger just said to replace the wheel and parts above the dolly wheel bracket. Thanks for any help. I actually think there is too much tongue weight but the winch post is welded on.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

2. Member
    Lowering the jack all the way helps some if you aren't doing it already.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Lowering the jack all the way helps some if you aren't doing it already.
    With a tandem axle it helps but dont make a difference with a single axle

4. Member
    Lowering the jack down actually helps a bit.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Might have to go to a jack with a higher load capacity.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    Its been a 3 year battle with my dolly wheel. When putting boat in garage I need to go straight in then move to the side. Problem is the dolly wheel will not go from a side move to a straight move I have to use a 3 foot crow bar to move the wheel. I am on my third wheel change and replaced all the parts above the wheel bracket with no success. Boat is a 2019 518 L single axle purchased that way to move in garage easier. Has anyone else battled this issue or does someone have an idea for a fix as Ranger just said to replace the wheel and parts above the dolly wheel bracket. Thanks for any help. I actually think there is too much tongue weight but the winch post is welded on.
    I found that a jack with 2 wheels helps, I have a older 518dvx with single axle trailer and I can push it to any side I want.

Take care,
    Dave

7. Member
    Thank You
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

8. Member
    The trick is to adjust the trailer jack height until the jack body is as vertical as possible.

The trailer jack wheel axle is not inline with the vertical axis of the jack body. So if the tube is not completely vertical, it will result in caster. The tongue weight of the trailer will have increased leverage to prevent the wheel from pivoting. With the jack tube completely vertical, the offset is negated which allows the wheel to pivot more easily.

Too low will have the same affect as too high depending on which way the wheel is oriented at the time.

9. Member
    Great advise, I will work on getting the jack body vertical. With this being boat #14 none of my other trailers gave me this issue but 2 of them were to big to try and move.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

10. Member
    Thank You Kdixer, that worked. The jack body is nowhere close to vertical I had to raise the trailer up 5.5 inches to get it vertical and now the dolly wheel will rotate. Thinking back my previous boat trailers had side mounted jacks that when in use were pretty close to vertical the Ranger center mounted jack is not vertical when in use or at least mine isn't. Thanks again.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

11. Member
    Glad you got it worked out

12. Member
    I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7022...8297342&sr=8-5 it moves my Ranger350,double jet ski trailer and 7X12 box trailer effortless. I can place them in my shop anywhere I want, by my self (I am 75)

13. Member
    Thanks, I was considering about purchasing one.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10