Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Unhappy If you watched Flying Wild Alaska…

Jim Tweto has died in a plane crash. He was 68.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Big fan of the show

That Sucks! for the family
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Hate that.....sad deal!

Being a pilot, I loved the show and the challenging environment they in which they operate. It is sad to hear about any crash but someone with so much experience is gut punch. Prayers for the family.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Very sad, prayers for the family.

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

9. Member
    Another one here that loved the show, sad that he died, but he did it doing some thing he loved. Prayers for his girls and wife.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Jim Tweto has died in a plane crash. He was 68.

Oh wow I really enjoyed that show, thoughts for his wife and daughters...

11. Member
    Dang not good , I watched that show a few times.

12. Member
    I once sat at a table with a few US Fish and Wildlife Service pilots from Alaska. They shared some of the most wild stories I ever heard. The agency had contracted with a company to fly supplies up to the North slope in an old DC3. Well out of Fairbanks the plane lost all instruments due to an electrical failure. The weather was bad and they had no reference points. One of the pilots, who was in the second seat, saw a lake through the clouds that he knew had a river running out of it to the coast. They put the DC3 down on the deck and followed the river out to the ocean. From there they followed the coast to their destination. There were also embarrassing moments usually when the pilot landed a float plane on the runway with the wheels up. A former assistant of mine went to Alaska and became a Biologist Pilot. He had a ball but eventually got out when he figured he had taken one too many chances. He was the guy in the co-pilot seat of the DC3.

Prayers for the family

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Wow. Loved the show.

Dale Sinclair original

15. Member
    Loved the show. Praying for Arial and the rest of the family.

16. Member

17. Member
    Sorry to hear that, we liked the show quite a bit. Hard working guy.
    John

18. Member
    Wow. Hate to hear that. Iconic guy and what seemed like a great family man.

19. Member

20. Member
    Went duck hunting in Alaska about 20 years ago at beginning of December. Took a float plane from Kodiak to an island in the Afognak Islands. Weather was bad every day. Had to wait extra 2 days to get picked up. It was still bad that day, but good enough. Plane service was worried this was only chance to get out. We were the last flight of their season before they closed until like March. Started sleeting on us pretty good and pilot said wings were starting to ice up. I think we were flying in a beaver if I remember correctly. I was sitting next to pilot and my wife and a guide in the back seat. Because of the ice and our early stages of unstableness, we landed between islands and beached slightly. Pilot literally walked on the wings and scraped the ice off himself. That was the last chance to stop before we hit the open water to Kodiak. Took back off and about 1/2 way to Kodiak which I think was only about 20 minutes, we were approaching a lot of clouds so pilot turned around and landed back at the same spot. He said he can’t fly without visual because of landing on water. Also has to land before dark. His Kodiak office said it was clearing in Kodiak but the clouds were moving our way so we voted - spend the night in the plane beached on an uninhabited island or take off, fly through the clouds and trust it’ll open up before we get to Kodiak. We were getting very close to sundown so only had a few minutes to decide. 4/4 voted let’s go. So we did. Flew through the clouds and it cleared up right before Kodiak and we landed a few minutes after sundown. Still not sure if we made it sound more dangerous than it really was or it was more dangerous than we ever fully realized. It was definitely a memorable trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast