Thread: Touch pads

Touch pads

So I have narrowed my two boats down to BassCat and Phoenix. What I like about BC is their console is all fiberglass and no plastic. Buut, I'm over the touch issues found on my current boat brand. The Phoenix has plastic on their console but has toggle switches which I like.

Are cat touch pads better than the other brands? Has anyone had any issue?

With my current brand either the touch pad goes out or the brain box goes out. Alot of the times those to items get discontinued and we have to ha ve our whole boats rewired 😡

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    I’ve never had issues with a panel other than one for Beede nexsys gauges. Those gauges haven’t been part of bass cat’s offering for many years now. Bass cat has been around for a long time and were the first to use electronic type gauges in bass boats dating back to the 90s. There has always been a replacement part for just about everything and anything!

3. Member
    I have not had one issue with the a10. Nor have I seen many issues. However, I know that if you ever do have an issue bass cat can get you one very quick and it takes about 5 minutes to replace if you do have an issue.
    BCB customer service is second to non.

That's good. If my "brain box" goes its gona be a bad deal they don't make them any more. C and O marine make a Rocker switch conversion but it's expensive and Iv heard you are basically rewiring the whole boat.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

5. Member
    Two seasons on mine no issues. Another consideration is the trailer quality. Look closely between the two brands and that could weigh in on your decision. In my opinion the trailer is equally as important on a purchase.

6. Member
    Its not a "touch" pad per se. It's buttons that have to be pushed, not just touched.

I haven't had any issues with mine. I wouldn't let that affect my decision. Ive spent a lot of time in Phoenix boats. I think they lose out in overall quality and design to BassCat.

A couple of things I like better about the Phoenix:

- single gas tank with fuel cap in the port side
    - net storage
    - larger rear storage boxes
    - better designed cover & braces for cover
    - seats look more stylish

That's about it.

A couple other specific things I like better about BassCat:

- under seat storage
    - live well design
    - fiberglass consoles - no plastic
    - cooler under center step box
    - slam latches
    - passenger rod rack is better than Phoenix
    - driver console is open underneath. Phoenix is closed and you have to remove the entire plastic shroud to get to the wires. Major pain if replacing something like a transducer or bad cable
    2023 Puma STS

7. Member
    Have to agree, not a touch pad but it's very high quality. I did some research as well before buying my cat and you see very little issues.

There are older and new style units. The A-Ten digital system we have built around 10,000 dash units and if there were issues you would see them mounting here. They have been extremely reliable! The newer ones we are seeing more issues with, though not many and that doesn't have the time test on those units yet with a few thousand units in operation.

The only dash system we have seen issues is the former Vision series round touch pad. There we have ribbon cable issues where it where it enters the dash and has delaminated from a sharp bend people make. Chamfering that slot resolves that and we continue to replace those overlays at No Charge as a Customer Service.

The original BP Dashes were introduced in 1993 ('92) model year and even today most of those replaced are operating when we test them. They have corrosion, re-patched wire issues, faulty accessories, and connection challenges that people tend to blame components on. Those rear their heads again in time as the new dash assembly or switches faces those same challenges.

Fixing the core problem is usually the solution.

Dash history at BCB

BP-100
    BP-101
    BP-101B
    BP-400
    BP-2000
    A-Ten Main Premium and Advantage
    A-Ten Round Premium accessory - Pump In, Pump Out, Security and Accessory
    A-Ten Vision Touch Pad - Round large 3 3/4" face
    ITI Premium Panels - full switches including security system and lighted box timers
    ITI Advantage Panels - No Premium options
    ITI Vision Panels - Basic Vision functions

Had my boat 13 years no issue with touch pad

Hey fellas thanks for the input. I do feel better about the bass cat push buttons.

I think the "touch pads" that I currently have are a good idea but... I don't think they belong in a bass boat. Just my opinion of course
    Last edited by Tim W; 06-21-2023 at 03:31 PM.

Tim, Just today we saw an original 1993 Pantera II models BP-100 dash assembly in it's orginal dash and boat, in operating condition. We've been doing this a while and we have a long history of function.

12. Member
    My 2016 Puma had no touch pad issues, my 2022 Cougar has no touch pad issues.
    Not here to bash, but a Phoenix is not quite up the build quality of the boat, and especially the trailer.
    One major point to me, BassCat has rubber gaskets around the compartments to seal from water intrusion, a Phoenix does not.
    Full disclosure, I am on my 3rd BassCat, but never had a Phoenix.

Mine works fine. Here is my theory of the 3T's: If it has Tit$, tires, or a Trolling motor, in time it will give you trouble!!!
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

for reference on availability down the road...you can still go on BassCats website and order a replacement digital dash panel for 1990s boats. this is along with tons of other parts for older Bass Cats. Their customer service and parts department is phenomenal....I know because I tend to buy old, run down Cats and end up breathing new life into them.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"