Charging lithium batteries!!

I have a 2021 521L it has lithium batteries in it. How I charge them now is when I get home from fishing I just plug the boat in to top them off un plug. The next time I go fishing I plug them back in and top them off. I have friend that says just leave it plugged in all the time. Anyways what’s the best way to charge them?? Thanks.

2. Member
    I leave mine plugged in.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Member
    Same as you. Charge them when I get home, unplug, charge them right before a trip. I’m sure technology has gotten better but when they were in their infant stages, too many boats burned up (and houses) from charging lithiums. Better safe than sorry.
    Joey Aderhold

4. Member
    Strictly just my opinion...I try to only leave the charger energized long enough to get the job done. The chargers I have used always develop heat when energized and I believe heat for extended periods can lead to failure or shortened life of the electronics in the charger.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Strictly just my opinion...I try to only leave the charger energized long enough to get the job done. The chargers I have used always develop heat when energized and I believe heat for extended periods can lead to failure or shortened life of the electronics in the charger.
    same here charge them up and unplug. lithium ions don't drain just sitting around hardly at all compared to lead acid
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

From what I've read and seen on my impulse app, my minnkota PCL stops sending current to the lithiums when they reach a full charge. My app shows a zero input current in the battery. However, I'm with M-D when it comes to talking about the heat shortening the lifespan of the charger itself... Especially when the temps in my storage unit push north of 110 degrees...

I've put a countdown time on my outlet that automatically shuts off after eight hours. The outlet is also a GFCI and I have a surge protector in between the time and the extension cord.
    Overkill, maybe? but it helps quell my over imaginative brain.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

I use a Power Pole Charge on mine. Based on a recommendation from Power Pole I now plug it in and forget until my next trip, which is usually only a day or two later, no longer than a week. Doing this to for a couple of years now with no issues. I used to top off and unplug but switched based on what they told me.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I unplug mine after they're fully charged. Then plug back in and top off before a trip or if it sits more than a month or so.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

9. Member
    Great guys. I understand both sides. Lucky my garage is heated and cooled. I think I’ll just Keep up with what works. Thank you for the responses.

10. Member
    With lithium there is no need to hook back up before going out. The discharge rate is so low that it won’t amount to 1-2% over a month.

i have had ionic lithium's in my 2020 nitro Z21 for two years and now in my new 521R i go out fishing and when i come home and put it in the garage i charge it over Nite and in the morning i unplug it i have never had a problem works great.

12. Member
    I’ve left mine plugged in for a month, no issues.

Lithium batteries only catch fire during failure. Being plugged in or not plugged in does not cause or contribute to failure. A chemical engineer told me that a lithium is about 60% more likely to catch fire when it’s not plugged in. These are car batteries he was referring to, but he studies it and builds them, so I’ll go with his opinion.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits and gravy View Post
    With lithium there is no need to hook back up before going out. The discharge rate is so low that it won’t amount to 1-2% over a month.
    ^^^^This^^^^

14. Member
    I have ionics 4x 125ah with charger i only top them off when they get down to 40 to 50% of SOC as they run off cycles of charge i use the ionics app to monitor my batteries health this came straight from the manufacturer when I contacted them in regards to getting the most time management and life from my batteries.

15. Member
    I do the same as some above guys do. charge them up after a trip....then plug them in before a trip. interstate rep and my dealer told me that is the best way to go. so that is what I do.
    2021 Ranger 620FS
    2021 Merc 250 Pro XS; s/n 3B057438
    MK Ulterra 112