HDS 12 Lives freezing and restarting on their own

Hi guys,

I have two HDS 12 lives linked with Ethernet and nmea 2000.

Both units randomly freeze up…then speed up to try and “catch up.”
    When it can’t catch it will restart on its own.

I’ll also try to zoom in on my chart and when I let go it keeps zooming in on its own and becomes unresponsive.

At first I thought it was the units, but what are the chances the same thing is happening king to both units?

Could it be an Ethernet or nmea issue? (Both Ethernet and nmea 2000 are brand new)

I checked for a loose ground connection and didn’t find anything wrong.

Any help would be appreciated…thank you
    Last edited by CCfishing; 06-16-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Are you using an SD card for your maps? I had a similar issue some months ago. If I brought up a map, it would start doing what you described. As long as I did not display mapping all was good. I change all my ethernet cables, thinking one might have gone bad. No joy! It turned out my cmap card went south. It would occasionally work ok, but more often than not it would start the freezing and restart. Bought a new SD card, and no problems since.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Mercury Pro XS 200
    Lowrance, HDS Live, BBT mounts, Ghost, AT1, Power Poles, Charge

3. Member
    I had a weird issue with that today…I had a navionics chip in each unit (for the time being, even though I didn’t need both of them in there since they are linked)

I took the one out of the bow unit, and my contours were gone, so they stop sharing the sd card…

I honestly don’t know what’s going on but whether it’s a bad chip or Ethernet cable, it shouldn’t be happening since everything is new.

4. Member
    Let's find out what software each machine is running.

Post BOTH units software so we can get started with these weird issues.

Also, we need more information on the POWER (voltage) each unit is getting from the battery. This this is a common issue, bad battery or bad battery connections.

5. Member
    I’ve got 23.3 in both units…

10awg wire from each unit to a dedicated blue seas fuse panel…10awg from the panel to a switch, to a ionic 125ah
    Both graphs are at 12.9V all day.

Really leaning towards the Ethernet cable being the issue even though it is brand new. The map cards are now intermittently being shared. It’ll work for a few minutes and then not share the navionics chip again.

im going out tomorrow going to unplug the Ethernet cable from both units and see if it happens or not

I can’t believe both units I just bought are having identical issues..has to be something they are sharing causing the problem.

appreciate the help