Unhappy Faulty Curado 200 XG

Hey Guys,

Long story short I bought a new in box curado 200 xg from a guy that sells stuff locally here, being canada I didnt use the reel over the winter, sure enough I go to use the reel brand new and immediately notice an issue. Essentially what I would describe as the "anti reverse" intermittently fails on the reel. Theres excessive play in the handle as well.

Most notably, if i have a heavier bait like a mag draft tied on, at certain spots in the handles rotation if I let go, it will literally spin the handle backwards and essentially free spool upwards of a half of a turn of the handle.

If I attempt to hook a bait into the hook keeper even under a little tension, the tension on the line does not hold.

Interestingly if I keep the reel in my hands and reel, the tension stays in the line and the drag even works as expected.

Im going to assume that the reel has a faulty blown roller clutch bearing? Im absolutely not a reel expert. I definitely can break a reel down to a degree for clean and oil, but I have no knowledge of repairing reels.

Do these symptoms sound like a roller clutch bearing issue, or are there other things at play? Are roller clutch bearings difficult to replace? Ive never taken one out of a reel before. Any insight you guys have is greatly appreciated!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Blown anti-reverse. However, it sounds like your using this reel as a swimbait reel? Not advised if so. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Blown anti-reverse. However, it sounds like your using this reel as a swimbait reel? Not advised if so. Dan
    biggest bait ive thrown on it is the 6 inch mag draft. More typically this is my frogging rod. Any particular reason you think its a bad idea?

You indicate that its a blown anti reverse...Is the anti reverse not built into the roller clutch bearing or am I totally out to lunch? What part specifically would I be looking to replace should I want to repair the reel?

From what i see, its part # BNT 5021?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Depending on the generation, earlier generations could come with a diff anti-reverse clutch (smaller). I generally don’t do fyi advice but yes, I would change 5021 and 5046 and DO NOT lube them.

As far as why I say NO big baits on a CU200XG? Well you’re experiencing one of the reasons, as well as an XG is the wrong gear ratio and even though they have brass gears big baits will wear them out.

Now, others will say you can do it, and you absolutely can, but it’s not if issues will arise, rather when.

Tranx200 or CU300k are much better options. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Depending on the generation, earlier generations could come with a diff anti-reverse clutch (smaller). I generally don’t do fyi advice but yes, I would change 5021 and 5046 and DO NOT lube them.

As far as why I say NO big baits on a CU200XG? Well you’re experiencing one of the reasons, as well as an XG is the wrong gear ratio and even though they have brass gears big baits will wear them out.

Now, others will say you can do it, and you absolutely can, but it’s not if issues will arise, rather when.

Tranx200 or CU300k are much better options. Dan
    just looking at the schematic I can’t find reference to 5046? Could you let me know what you are referring to?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    Anti reverse bearing may just need to be cleaned. If the reel was new, it might have gotten some factory grease in it. I’d clean it before replacing.