Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big O water levels

I saw during the news conference from the Army Corps that they are planning on keeping Okeechobee at or over 14' during the rainy season. Why? Why should the lake be anywhere near 14+ feet BEFORE the rainy season? You put 15-18' water levels on that lake for any amount of time and it will decimate any rooted vegetation- add in algae blooms in 90 degree water and you are asking for a disaster....
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

2. Member
    They have ZERO intentions of maintaining the lake as a fishing lake. It’s a water storage reservoir.
    There are at least 1/2 dozen spray boats on it 5 days a week for 8+ hour days. Every freaking weekday!
    The only reason there’s any grass left is the water is so ridiculously high, you can fish areas that should be 3” deep right now. But the spray boats have been spraying the shoreline in those areas too. I drove a 20 mile section along the western side and there was not one inch of shoreline that didn’t have a 10-30’ wide swath of dying plants from spray. For 20 miles!!!!!! No navigation channels or structures anywhere, just grass in the lake 20 miles from anywhere. North shore is destroyed, monkey box is completely destroyed, etc.
    The huge bags people have been bragging about only existed because every fish was in the same few acres where the last grass was. After the bluegill spawn, they’ll scatter back out.

3. Member
    Sorry to hear that P/S - follow the money - that contract to spray is worth MULTI MILLIONS of dollars....it is clearly evident the our state government - from the top down - gives not a damn about our environment. Its all about tourism, development and social warrior issues.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

4. Banned
    Pull the plugs in the airboats just before they launch...lol. Never seen something metal float full of water, much less run.

So with BPS investing on the north shore area, I wonder if JM can have any influence on the health of the lake. I cant see big government killing the lake with that much tourist $ potentially drying up.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I cant see big government killing the lake with that much tourist $ potentially drying up.
    I've been saying it for years at this point. I don't under don't understand it other than they make plenty off of salt water and don't care about the fresh.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    You have the power to change it if you would just vote DeSantis and his band of thieves out of office.

8. Banned
    Read an article this morning that said they are not releasing water due to the blue green algae bloom that is on 80 percent of the lake. They don't want to spread it anymore than it is.

9. GTB
    And I suppose put a democrat in to please the libtards ?

10. Member
    Actually Desantis did not start or increase the program. When he started he put a moratorium on it and it stopped for a couple months. Then the powers that be under FWC must have gotten to him and started back up again. I wish he had the stones to step on FWC like he does Disney. This problem was started under Rick Scott if you want the poster child for lake decimation.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB View Post
    And I suppose put a democrat in to please the libtards ?
    I would accept a moderate Republican.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I would accept a moderate Republican.
    No such thing as a moderate polititian

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    So with BPS investing on the north shore area, I wonder if JM can have any influence on the health of the lake. I cant see big government killing the lake with that much tourist $ potentially drying up.
    I can't see Johnny Morris investing there if they're killing the lake, you know he did his homework.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    I can't see Johnny Morris investing there if they're killing the lake, you know he did his homework.
    He probably did his homework, but it has taken so long to get going, things have changed. But with the amount of people we have moving into our state, there will always be some dummy that will buy a condo on a polluted body of water.

15. Member
    You have the power to change it if you would just vote DeSantis and his band of thieves out of office.
    Dude shut the hell up, this has been going on for 30 years, go get another booster.

16. Member
    Wish it were that easy.
    As long as big money is involved Florida Fresh waterways are doomed and most will never recover from the damage.
    What started out as maintenance control in spotty areas in the 90’s has turned into a billions cash cow.
    The only way to stop it is stop the funding. Period…. Beyond sad what our beautiful lakes have turned into.

17. Banned

So I guess u would rather have a democract in office supporting teachers pushing the gay agenda on 6 year old kids that have no business even being in that kind of classroom environment??????

And I suppose u also like 4 dollar gas. Show me one democrat in fl that is pro drill!!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    So I guess u would rather have a democract in office supporting teachers pushing the gay agenda on 6 year old kids that have no business even being in that kind of classroom environment??????

And I suppose u also like 4 dollar gas. Show me one democrat in fl that is pro drill!!!!
    You are not the only one that has experienced the decline in Florida bass fishing. I moved to North Central Florida in 1960 and fished all your lakes - Orange, Lochloosa, Newnans, and Santa Fe up until 1985 when I moved to Central Florida. I saw the decline in them while I was there. The lakes are in Central Florida are also in decline.

As far as my politics, I blindly voted Republican for 40 years but turned independent when Trump entered the race. I knew he would create the shXt show that we have today. Today, I am still a registered Republican but now I vote for the lesser of the two evils regardless of party. I view all politicians as self serving and corrupt regardless of party. I refuse to be any political parties" "bitch".

To fix our lake issues, the fishermen need to organize and band up with environmentalists and other "tree huggers". Unfortunately, the word environmentalist is a cuss word to Republicans and they do not believe that global warming is real. If you really want the issue addressed, unfortunately, the Democrat party is the only option left and they work well with the environmentalists. They also need to raise money get a lobbyist in Tallahassee. Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen in my life time.

Personally, I think Florida and its lakes are screwed. So pick your poison: 1) you either get in bed with the Democrats and the environmentalists, and try to get our lake problem fixed, or 2) we can kiss our lakes goodby within the next 20 years. Unfortuneatly, Rodman will probably be a victim and get drained as part of the fix. There is no good decision as the Republicans have demonstrated that they will continue to ignore the issue. You have to pick between your politics or saving your lakes.

Do you have any viable solutions to fix our lakes and control our population growth? I have been reading your rants for the last ten years, and while I agree with a lot of them, I don't recall any viable solutions.

I am not scared of $4 a gallon gas. The more expensive it is, the less boats on the lake and less tourists.

Also, regardless of what Fox News reports, the majority of Democrats that I have talked to do not support the gay agenda.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 06-18-2023 at 12:44 AM.

19. Banned
    I don't see you offering any viable solutions either. As long as they can see more money from more and more building, they will not stop until Florida is paved over.
    You want a solution? Stop building new homes and strip.malls that have no tenants. Make a non resident fishing license 500.00 per year, put a tax on outboard motors over 150hp, use the money to buy land that can be preserved. Tax every bass tournament a minimum of 20% of the funds , and as far as partnering up with the tree huggers, they would like to see fishing banned altogether.
    So there are some solutions, none of which will be put into effect unfortunately.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    I don't see you offering any viable solutions either. As long as they can see more money from more and more building, they will not stop until Florida is paved over.
    You want a solution? Stop building new homes and strip.malls that have no tenants. Make a non resident fishing license 500.00 per year, put a tax on outboard motors over 150hp, use the money to buy land that can be preserved. Tax every bass tournament a minimum of 20% of the funds , and as far as partnering up with the tree huggers, they would like to see fishing banned altogether.
    So there are some solutions, none of which will be put into effect unfortunately.
    I like your suggestions but they are tactical and not strategic. They will never make it to the legislature floor without lobbyists and support from the legislature. A Republican legislature will not do a dam thing. The only legislative help available is the Democrats. That infrastructure needs to be in place for any success. There is no one else to "carry the ball" if you want to preserve your lakes. . Right now all we got is a bunch of whiny fisherman and a few small conservation groups.

All of us are going to have to make a decision - do we support 1) the preservation of our lakes; or 2) the Republican Party. You are not going to be able to have both. Pick your poison.

But right now Florida and its lakes are screwed with no help in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 06-18-2023 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast