Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bombers obsolete

You see missiles being used in ucraine an Israel ,s war. But Russia does not use there heavy bombers, are they becoming obsolete, and usa b2 bombers, are they going to only be usable in a world war.

2. Member
    As an old BUFF man, it can deliver nukes or conventionals under any radar. This includes B2's etc. As far as I know they're still sitting there flying around the North Pole with nukes ready to deliver the mail. Don't count them out.

3. Member
    no
    Yes
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    IMO, from the little following I have done of the Ukraine war. Russian bombers are obsolete. They know it and thats why they have invested heavily in hypersonic weapons. Chinese bombers, I have no idea. US bombers, not obsolete yet. We just unveiled a new stealth bomber a few months ago.

I don't know how soon, but I have a theory that eventually, SpaceX's starship will have a military version that will replace bombers. We could park a starship in orbit with a payload 10x or more than that of a B2 bomber. And they would be much cheaper. And when dropping something from space, explosivness might be less important compared to kinetic energy.
    Thanos was the hero

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    IMO, from the little following I have done of the Ukraine war. Russian bombers are obsolete. They know it and thats why they have invested heavily in hypersonic weapons. Chinese bombers, I have no idea. US bombers, not obsolete yet. We just unveiled a new stealth bomber a few months ago.

I don't know how soon, but I have a theory that eventually, SpaceX's starship will have a military version that will replace bombers. We could park a starship in orbit with a payload 10x or more than that of a B2 bomber. And they would be much cheaper. And when dropping something from space, explosivness might be less important compared to kinetic energy.
    Didn't the Regan administration do something to prevent that from happening in regards to a treaty or similar?

6. Member
    The new class of cruise missiles supposedly have a 500 mile range, and can launch from both the B-1 and B-52. I'm sure they have or are working on bomber launched drones, also.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Didn't the Regan administration do something to prevent that from happening in regards to a treaty or similar?
    Yup, I think you're right. Forgot about that. The treaty would prevent us from positioning starship bombers in space pre-emptively. But would it prevent use at times of war? A dozen or so Starships stationed ready to go on a momemts notice would certainly have a deterance effect. One starship could launch from Texas or Florida and deliver a payload equal to 10 bombers anywhere in the world in under an hour.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Weapons never become obsolete (sticks & stones are still effective) but not all weapons are applicable to a conflict/ mission, etc. Ukraine air defenses have made the Russian’s use of aircraft within Ukraine quite costly.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

9. Member
    I remember reading that russian heavy bombers were launching cruise missiles. I don't think they had to fly over Ukraine to do that. They may be low on cruise missiles now. US AWACs are flying in Poland and can see russian planes while still in russia, and reporting to Ukraine Non stealth bombers would probably be very vulnerable to missiles. Airmen who fly bombers seem as brave as can be. Big targets.

10. Member
    Russia is launching their cruise missiles from bombers. Both sides use SU-25s for rocket and bomb attacks. If you suppress enemy air defenses effectively you can drop bombs at will but neither side has done that. They’ll always have a place in future ways as well.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Yup, I think you're right. Forgot about that. The treaty would prevent us from positioning starship bombers in space pre-emptively. But would it prevent use at times of war? A dozen or so Starships stationed ready to go on a momemts notice would certainly have a deterance effect. One starship could launch from Texas or Florida and deliver a payload equal to 10 bombers anywhere in the world in under an hour.
    The treaty only covered nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction. So they could put a laser or rail-gun system in space and not be in violation.

12. Member
    A bomber can be recalled back to base, a missile or ICBM is gone as soon as you hit the fire button. Missiles are great, but you better be all in! Bombers give you some time to figure things out to provide a safety margin and possibly prevent accidental nuclear war, which has almost happened more than once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ar_close_calls

13. Member
    DR. STRANGELOVE

14. Member
    Ukraine needs to update their strategy, so far the've just been playing defense, simply wanting to rid Russia from their country, Understandable, but it's not working. Russia needs to start feeling some pain too, Ukraine should start lobbing some missiles right into the heart of Moscow and knocking down and destrying some of their buildings, infrastructure, power grids, etc. Even Pipelines. A bully won't stop until he gets his own nose bloodied.

15. Member
    Bombers are also "missile haulers". B52H platform can carry 70 thousand pounds of munitions and refuel continuously non stop. It can carry 20 cruise missiles. This means the place where you manufacture, store and have the airbase can be a long way away from the hostile forces and well out their reach to counter attack. As mentioned before, once you gain air superiority, then you can revert back to bombers of all sorts. The F35 is a fighter and a bomber, and can carry bombs or missiles inside and remain stealthy, so even with active air defenses, you can bomb (probably early on taking out the air defenses via wild weasel attacks). China has built ballistic missiles that can sink an aircraft carrier in one shot (that is the claim). Their goal is to make the threat environment to the warships well out of range of said warships to threaten them. There are a variety of solutions to those problems, both offensive (take out the missile launch sites) to defensive (shoot the missiles down)....all are being deployed and further developed as you might image. Bombers obsolete? Heck NO.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

16. Member
    The russians dont use heavy bombers because they dont have many and afent willing to lose any...heavy bombers are for from obsolete. Without air superioriy however its a fools errand...
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Don't forget about our ICBM carrying submarines. Ohio class SSBN's carry something like 20 Trident missiles. Differing payloads on each missile, can be anywhere from 90 to 450 Kilotons. The bomb exploded over Hiroshima was around 15 kilotons.

And BTW, the Air Force is now in the process of building a new Stealth Bomber, the B-21 "Raider" You can do a search on it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Ukraine needs to update their strategy, so far the've just been playing defense, simply wanting to rid Russia from their country, Understandable, but it's not working. Russia needs to start feeling some pain too, Ukraine should start lobbing some missiles right into the heart of Moscow and knocking down and destrying some of their buildings, infrastructure, power grids, etc. Even Pipelines. A bully won't stop until he gets his own nose bloodied.
    That's a slippery slope with Putin at the helm. Him and much of his staff seem all to eager to sell reasons to start lobbing tactical nukes, to their own population. Mass civilian casualties in Moscow might be all he needs to escalate this to the apex of his ability. He comes up with something that gives their use plausibility, he'll end this terrible mistake he made in a day. I'd guess Zelensky is well aware of that as well, as the west has been very adamant about not using their weapons contributions for anything more than defense of Ukraine.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I think your statement ignores history. Russia has long shown they're willing to sacrifice soldiers and civilians in vast numbers (Russian general: "I've lost half my men." Superiors: "I don't care. Lose the other half."). The one thing that they don't like is a long, protracted war that chews-up financial resources. Various reports would have you believe it's not a popular war in Russia but that could change quickly if the populace decides that they need to defend the motherland.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

20. Member
    We were dropping ICBMs out of C-141 cargo aircraft way back in the 80s. Aircraft may go unmanned somewhere in the future, but I think there will always be a way to control the sky. We’ve spent lots of defense money on the Air Force and Space Force, not to mention the other branches aircraft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast