Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's hear from folks that use boat both in FW and SW

Beginning my search for retirement boat. I've had my Pantera Classic for 21 years for FW only. Started chartering inshore guides in Tampa area the past 8 years or so and took a real liking. That said, looking for a boat that does both.

My limited online search shows it can be done, but should it? Low gunnels on flats skiffs worries me thinking it would be dangerous on Lake St. Clair and similar waters.

Thoughts? Anyone do it themselves?

2. Member
    They are not as stylish as bass boats in a tournament but there have many days the ride would have been better in some tournaments I fished. Seriously look at 21ft bay boats. They are the SUV of the boat world. If I fished inshore saltwater, close in offshore and bass from one boat this is it. Not ideal for anything but they can do everything even taking the family out skiing. Don’t skimp on HP and get a 36v TM. Don’t get a t top. If you need a top get a Bimini so you can take it off. The 21ft let’s you span the big waves better if you get caught in rough conditions without stuffing it. Not what I want to go out in for 6 foot waves, but if you get caught you can stay safe if you take your time.

3. Member
    Probably 60% of the guys running Big O’s cross over and fish both fresh and salt. https://www.facebook.com/BigoBoats/

4. Member
    Just make sure the trailer has a channel iron frame instead of a tube frame.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Probably 60% of the guys running Big O’s cross over and fish both fresh and salt. https://www.facebook.com/BigoBoats/
    I remember fishing in one of those 20 years or so ago and they are top notch.

6. Member
    Thanks for the thoughts.

Must fit in my garage, so correct no top. CC portion must be short, too - and no push platform.

Funny on pricing, a stripped Yellowfin 17 is like $45k. Add 2nd PP 36V TM and electronics and you get to $60k - with a 115 lol.

Most SW boats come with galv or AL trailer, both channel.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Just make sure the trailer has a channel iron frame instead of a tube frame.
    There is no way I would buy an iron frame trailer for salt water. Get aluminum.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

8. Member
    Vexus Avx 2080, seadek, aluminum trailer upgrade, garmin tm. Done.

Or Xpress.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

9. Member
    The standard trailer on a Big O is aluminum.

10. Member
    My personal boat may be what you are looking for. Bluewave Pure Bay 2000 w/Suzuki 175. Fishes well on Louisiana coast, inland rivers and bayous, Toledo Bend. It's even been 20 miles offshore, on very good days. Many manufactures make 20' models.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Skeeter View Post
    My personal boat may be what you are looking for. Bluewave Pure Bay 2000 w/Suzuki 175. Fishes well on Louisiana coast, inland rivers and bayous, Toledo Bend. It's even been 20 miles offshore, on very good days. Many manufactures make 20' models.
    Never heard of those before. What’s the approximate price?

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If I wanted to do both it would be a 20-21 ft center console bay boat.....I've fished them in both fresh and salt.....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    Never heard of those before. What’s the approximate price?
    Brand new today....I would guess starting around $50

14. Member
    For 50 bucks we all need to pick up a few of them!

15. Member
    Aluminum trailer is the absolute only way to go if your rig will ever be anywhere near saltwater..,

a bassboat can go in saltwater just fine… wiring is what needs to be done correctly… bassboats don’t have the freeboard that a bay boat has… saltwater open bays can get pretty choppy.. in wavy water higher sides are better.. then there’s the whole stepped on shrimp in carpet thing.. and saltwater fish will slime the carpet far more than any freshwater fish..

Fished in Puget Sound for salmon for 10 years, if you're going to trailer a boat in saltwater a galvanized trailer is a must. I had a 17 foot center console Boston Whaler, it would fish fine in fresh water if I was trolling for trout, but not the greatest thing for bass. I suppose you could mount a TM on the front of one and it would work for bass, but not an ideal solution for bass fishing.

17. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Blue Wave is an awesome boat.

Lot of guides in Venice Louisiana use them.

We just take our bass boats to Venice.

You leave the gulf, brackish canals. Cross tree fresh water Mississippi River.

Rinse off everything when done.

Works for us.

If you go bay boat, get the appropriate hull for the area you will be fishing. A big V hull bay boat won’t work well in much of south texas. Those guys run Majek…Haynie…etc. made for super shallow planing and running.

A quality bay boat isn't cheap but the good ones will be extremely durable, reliable, take care of you in rough seas, and when it's time to sell, hold their value well. Some that fit the bill are the Pathfinder TRS models. The 2200 TRS starts around $70,000 and can go much higher. It should be ideal for inshore and near offshore guiding. Despite having fairly low gunnels, it can handle bigger water well.

The 2400 TRS is about as good as it gets and the $111,869 entry model reflects it.

https://www.pathfinderboats.com/
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 07-06-2023 at 04:53 PM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

You almost need 2 boats. I went to Tampa this past winter and fell in love with it, but I'd want a smaller 15-17' skiff for there and a deeper boat for st. Clair. The flats around Tampa get extremely shallow and the smaller lighter skiff would be way better there than a deeper bay boat in my opinion. I have seen some older skiffs with newer engines go in the upper teens to lower 20's. You really don't need much for electronics on the skiffs either, maybe just a smaller unit for gps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast