5 port Ethernet box question

How important is it to run a multi-unit network thru the 5-port ethernet box?

I have run that I’m running the following units thru: Helix 12 at the console I only use for mapping. Helix 12 at the bow with Mega 360, another Helix 12 at the bow with Mega Live.

The reason I ask is, my 5 port box is causing nothing but issues for me. I’m constantly getting a ‘Mega 360 out of water’ error message, then it will say “Preparing pod” and start working again for a few minutes, then do it all again. If I disconnect from the Ethernet box, it seems to work fine.

2. Member
    Mega Live Requires Ethernet connectivity......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Mega Live Requires Ethernet connectivity......
    When I called Humminbird customer service with an issue with my Mega Live, the customer service rep had me disconnect the Mega Live unit from the Ethernet box to see if that helped with the issue?! Which it did, at the time.

4. Member
    Try powering up the switch 1st and give it a couple of minutes to settle down. Then power one graph at a time, again waiting until it has fully powered up. You can power the M360 at the same you send power to the switch. On some switches, sending everything at it at once will cause issues.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I hate the 5 port box too. Seems cheaply made and way too expensive. In any case, why can't you have the M360 (a transducer) connected to Helix A and connected via ethernet cable to the console Helix for waypoints marked while scanning. Have Helix B at the bow as a stand-alone unit for the MLive.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I hate the 5 port box too. Seems cheaply made and way too expensive. In any case, why can't you have the M360 (a transducer) connected to Helix A and connected via ethernet cable to the console Helix for waypoints marked while scanning. Have Helix B at the bow as a stand-alone unit for the MLive.
    That's kind of what I'm wondering. I had heard that the ethernet box allows the units to "talk to each other" and allows the units transducers to ping at different intervals to cut down on interference, etc. No idea if that's right, just what I have heard. Not much info on the internet. If I try to hook all 3 units up to the ethernet, I start having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzed Bait View Post
    That's kind of what I'm wondering. I had heard that the ethernet box allows the units to "talk to each other" and allows the units transducers to ping at different intervals to cut down on interference, etc. No idea if that's right, just what I have heard. Not much info on the internet. If I try to hook all 3 units up to the ethernet, I start having issues.
    That is correct. Networking helps with the cross-talk issue. Same effect as connecting MEGA 360 and another transducer to the same unit via Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is correct. Networking helps with the cross-talk issue. Same effect as connecting MEGA 360 and another transducer to the same unit via Y cable.
    Dang. I'm going to have to figure out what is causing my issue then.

9. Member
    Dang. I'm going to have to figure out what is causing my issue then.
    I just told you.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I just told you.
    Trust me, I do that every time I launch the boat. This issue is crazy because everything was working fine. I had to send my Mega 360 back to Humminbird for an issue. They sent me a brand new Mega 360 as I guess mine was toast. I hooked it up Friday and went fishing Saturday. That's when the issue started. But, I do normally turn the unit that has the Mega Live on first as that what Humminbird instructed me to do when I was having issues with the Mega Live freezing up. I turn the power on to the Ethernet box first, then the unit with the Mega Live, then the unit at the console that I use just for mapping and lastly the Mega 360 unit. I have tried other sequences in the past and not really found any difference in having issues, etc. .
    Last edited by Buzzed Bait; 06-11-2023 at 07:08 PM.

11. Member
    Trust me, I do that every time I launch the boat. This issue is crazy because everything was working fine. I had to send my Mega 360 back to Humminbird for an issue. They sent me a brand new Mega 360 as I guess mine was toast. I hooked it up Friday and went fishing Saturday. That's when the issue started. But, I do normally turn the unit that has the Mega Live on first as that what Humminbird instructed me to do when I was having issues with the Mega Live freezing up. I turn the power on to the Ethernet box first, then the unit with the Mega Live, then the unit at the console that I use just for mapping and lastly the Mega 360 unit. I have tried other sequences in the past and not really found any difference in having issues, etc. .
    And you're waiting until each unit has gone through the entire startup sequence before going to the next?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    And you're waiting until each unit has gone through the entire startup sequence before going to the next?
    Yep. When Mega Live first came out I was having the same issue as everyone with it freezing up and having to kill the power and start over. I read on here and Humminbird told me to start only one unit at a time allowing each to go through the complete sequence before I powered on another unit. On the Mega Live unit, I have to wait about 5 minutes before it recognizes the Mega Live transducer and it comes on and before I turn on any other unit. The latest update seems to have fixed the freezing up issue, but I still do the same sequence like I used to before the update.

13. Member
    Yep. When Mega Live first came out I was having the same issue as everyone with it freezing up and having to kill the power and start over. I read on here and Humminbird told me to start only one unit at a time allowing each to go through the complete sequence before I powered on another unit. On the Mega Live unit, I have to wait about 5 minutes before it recognizes the Mega Live transducer and it comes on and before I turn on any other unit. The latest update seems to have fixed the freezing up issue, but I still do the same sequence like I used to before the update.
    In that case, I would start over by restoring the defaults on all of your units and setup the network again using the sequential startup tactic.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    In that case, I would start over by restoring the defaults on all of your units and setup the network again using the sequential startup tactic.
    I’ll give that a try.

15. Member
    I find that powering the ML before any units are powered on is a best practice it may take abit of time depending on the setup but ML is always available when I fire the units up...at least in my case

16. Member
    I’ll give that a try.
    Let us know if it works!
    Yamaha 250 SHO