Lowrance vs Garmin

Got a new to me 1994 482vs. She was nearing the scrap yard and lucked up finding it and being able to bring it back.
    I am looking for two graphs without breaking the bank. Looking at staying around $1,000 each
    I am looking hard at the garmin 93sv UHD2 or the Lowrance elite 9 fs. I've watched videos on both, but looking for on the water experience if anyone has used both. I'm in Alabama if it makes a difference in decision mapping wise. Also, forward facing not a necessity at the moment. Will add another graph in the future when money permits for that.
    Curious on any opinions and feedback. Thanks!

2. Member
    I chose to hang three 93SV UHD & LS on my scow.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    Like garmin better. Try to find a 106sv. Got. Mine for less than 1 k new. Also have a 93 for ls.

4. Member
    Just for the sake of mentioning it, have you considered used? Might be able to get more bang for your buck that way.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

5. Member
    Pretty sure you can still get the 93sv UHD for $700 and the 106sv for $1000 at Cabela’s/BPS. I’ve got 3-93sv units and I love them

I would go with two Garmin 106sv’s. Bass Pro still has some on sale.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garm...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I ran Lowrance for years up to the Gen 3 units....swapped over to Garmin when the 93 Plus came out.....havent regretted one bit....customer service is great (US based), units are dependable, software issues is very low (never had an issue)......there are more settings on a Garmin unit to fine tune your images.....in the end they all do things different.

As mentioned, you can get the 106 unit for same price as the new UHD2....it will come with the GT54 ducer but depending on how you plan on installing ducers, you can do something else.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I ran Lowrance for years up to the Gen 3 units....swapped over to Garmin when the 93 Plus came out.....havent regretted one bit....customer service is great (US based), units are dependable, software issues is very low (never had an issue)......there are more settings on a Garmin unit to fine tune your images.....in the end they all do things different.

As mentioned, you can get the 106 unit for same price as the new UHD2....it will come with the GT54 ducer but depending on how you plan on installing ducers, you can do something else.....
    This is my experience as well. I started with Lowrance HDS Gen1’s and over several years upgraded to Gen2 touch and then to Gen3’s. I am not disparaging Lowrance, I had many hours of good use but I will draw a distinction on customer service. I had several experiences with Lowrance Customer Service and did not have one single positive experience.
    I have had 2 or 3 occasions to call Garmin’s customer service, mostly because I did not understand a feature, but I was very impressed with their professional response and follow up.
    I had originally planned to only have a stand alone Garmin LiveScope but very quickly replaced all my other chart plotters with Garmin.
    My recommendation is Garmin.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    The boat I’m running now has all four (4) Lowrance Pro 12” screens. I’ve always run all three major brands in the past for their individual benefits. I don’t think that’s necessary any longer after having this boat. Both Garmin and Lowrance seem good enough on scope/target modes. Everyone is improving, however no one else has a Mega 360 type system yet. That’s the only thing I’d consider today between Garmin and Lowrance options, for a different view.

Side imaging with Lowrance has really gotten clearer than years ago, which I preferred Humminbird before and it’s still good, this new Lowrance is very clear. The new Lowrance Pro units seem to be very good there. The Active Target is between the old and new Live Scope in quality, close enough to say it’s worth it if you want a connected network system.

Customer service with Garmin is absolutely stellar. Lowrance is trying to get there though with the higher volume of units, over time, they get bogged down in Customer Service. HumminBird also has a solid bench team available.

Rick

10. #FRB
    I'm a Garmin guy. The quick release mounts are great if you're like me and don't store the boat in a locked garage. My friend has an Echomap 9" and Elite Ti 9" in his boat and we both think the Echomap is the better unit. I'll continue to run Garmin because their mounts suit my needs best and luckily I think they're the better unit as a whole of the three brands.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    Personally I think garmin is the best when it comes to customer service and overall performance. Lowrance would be my second choice.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I use all 3 brands and like stated above, all have their benefits. After several models of each unit, I love the 2d and waypoint management of Lowrance Live and network it with a Carbon and Elite FS for mapping. I then use a 93UHD stand alone for Livescope. I was not a fan of Garmin GT54 trandsducer. The side/ down images were not what I was hoping for. Im not certain about the GT56 transducer but have heard its improved. Do what works best for you and you cant really go wrong with either brand.

13. Member
    I ran Lowrance for 30+years. Switched over to Garmin begining 3 years ago . NEVER go back

14. Member
    I still have both in my boat and I would hate to give up either one if forced. While I currently have two Garmins and only one Lowrance, if forced, I would probably go to all Lowrance.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

15. Member
    My boat came with Lowrance (HDS Gen2 Touch 9 and 12). Now it has Echomap Ultra 102sv and 126sv. Now those Lowrance are old units, but from use, the Garmins are easier for the most part. And 2nd on the quick release cradles.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    I use all 3 brands and like stated above, all have their benefits. After several models of each unit, I love the 2d and waypoint management of Lowrance Live and network it with a Carbon and Elite FS for mapping. I then use a 93UHD stand alone for Livescope. I was not a fan of Garmin GT54 trandsducer. The side/ down images were not what I was hoping for. Im not certain about the GT56 transducer but have heard its improved. Do what works best for you and you cant really go wrong with either brand.
    GT56 is excellent. Personally I think its right there with the bird mega side imaging. Lowrance is really good with their new transducer now too.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    I used to run 2 hds gen 2 12's now i run all garmins, two 106sv and one 122sv...If I could do it all over again, I would go all lowrance hds lives/pro and one 12 inch garmin unit just for livescope.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13