Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New YouTube Videos Regarding Update 23.3

Here are new videos I made regarding update 23.3. Please do a hard reset after installing the update if you have any issues remaining (save waypoints first). Please "like" and especially "subscribe: to keep content like this coming!

Performing a Hard Reset (Lowrance): When, Why, and How

Backup Your Waypoints (Lowrance)

Installing Lowrance Active Target 23.3 Update on Dual AT2's

Installing Lowrance Active Target Update 23.3

How to Install Lowrance Update 23.3 to An HDS Pro/LIVE/Carbon/EliteFS
    ciao,
    Marc

Marc,
    Does the hard reset fix issues with the ghost and using auto pilot?
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3.0L
    Leveling Kit
    ARE Z Series Topper
    2050 Ranger Reata

3. Member
    Marc, I have done the update and hard reset units after it was done because I completely lost all auto pilot functionality. It's there and you can click the buttons, but nothing happens. It has been confirmed as a firmware issue. I even went as far as to factory reset the ghost. Everything worked flawlessly until I did the update. This has been run up to the VP at Lowrance. If anyone has a work around or fix, I'd love to hear it. I have a tournament this weekend and badly need it because I am a walleye guy that relies on that.

Anchor works from the foot pedal, but course or heading lock do not and nothing else does from the graph interface. Again, it's there but nothing works. I even tried to set one of the buttons to course lock on the foot pedal and it would not work.
    NPAA #803

4. Member
    I am actually looking for the 22.1 firmware file if anyone has one. I want to try and roll back my units.
    NPAA #803

Marc, a video on saving, and then reinstalling your settings after a hard reset might be useful in this thread as well.

6. Member
    Marc - I really appreciate you're willingness to create these videos to help. If a hard reset is what is "required" it seems that Lowrance would have communicated that along with the update instructions. The issue is not saving the data (waypoints, routes, etc) its more of the total reconfiguration of the units to network including data sources, overlay data, saved pages, etc. For the folks with HDS Live units and AT1, Lowrance really crapped the bed with this update! Great videos though!
    2022 Ranger Z519, 2022 Mercury ProXS 225 4-Stroke (SN#3B056732), Fury 4-24P, Smart Craft Gauges, Atlas Plate, Ghost TM, Lowrance Electronics, BBT mounts, Ionics.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonta View Post
    Marc - I really appreciate you're willingness to create these videos to help. If a hard reset is what is "required" it seems that Lowrance would have communicated that along with the update instructions. The issue is not saving the data (waypoints, routes, etc) its more of the total reconfiguration of the units to network including data sources, overlay data, saved pages, etc. For the folks with HDS Live units and AT1, Lowrance really crapped the bed with this update! Great videos though!
    AGREED

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonta View Post
    I can't speak to why Lowrance does or does not talk about hard resets in their updates. It isn't always necessary, but in my experience if bugs persist after an update in most (not all) cases a hard reset fixes it. I realize many don't want to have to reinstall all their pages' overlay data and network data sources. I probably have many more to setup than most as I have 22 Tees on my NMEA network, and all my graphs, two AT2 boxes and a 3DStructureScan on my ethernet network. I prefer to look at it like an opportunity to practice and get good at customizing all my pages and settings. Everytime I rebuild them I do a better job than before.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Marc, a video on saving, and then reinstalling your settings after a hard reset might be useful in this thread as well.
    Good suggestion. I will add this to my list. I will say though, as Team Colibri often suggests, saving your settings and reinstalling them after a hard reset can possibly restore problems that caused your reason to perform a hard reset in the first place. It never hurts to try, and if all is well after restoring the settings then you saved a lot of time!
    ciao,
    Marc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach440 View Post
    Marc, I have done the update and hard reset units after it was done because I completely lost all auto pilot functionality. It's there and you can click the buttons, but nothing happens. It has been confirmed as a firmware issue. I even went as far as to factory reset the ghost. Everything worked flawlessly until I did the update. This has been run up to the VP at Lowrance. If anyone has a work around or fix, I'd love to hear it. I have a tournament this weekend and badly need it because I am a walleye guy that relies on that.

Anchor works from the foot pedal, but course or heading lock do not and nothing else does from the graph interface. Again, it's there but nothing works. I even tried to set one of the buttons to course lock on the foot pedal and it would not work.
    I will test mine when I return home from Florida later this week. I agree that the autopilot functionality is essential and would be no bueno to lose.
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman38 View Post
    Marc,
    Does the hard reset fix issues with the ghost and using auto pilot?
    I don't know. Will try it when I return home next week. I need my autopilot functions and will stay on this if it is not resoved.
    ciao,
    Marc

12. Member
    Seems like if I have Lives and AT1 the new updates don’t add that much to risk the issues some are having? I don’t recall this much problems with the 2 previous updates.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Seems like if I have Lives and AT1 the new updates don’t add that much to risk the issues some are having? I don’t recall this much problems with the 2 previous updates.
    I tend to agree with this, I only updated to see the new palettes and turns out hey don't work well for me anyway :(.

14. Member
    Really dumb question here Marc but with my units networked, I only to backup waypoints from one of the units correct?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Normally I recommend installing all updates as they come, but for the first time if I had AT1 still and all was working fine, I would probably hold off on doing the update until it is determined what conditions causes problems and what the fix is. On the other hand, with AT2 I would definitely install 23.3.
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Really dumb question here Marc but with my units networked, I only to backup waypoints from one of the units correct?
    Assuming that by networked you mean ethernet, then yes, you only need to backup from one unit because ethernet networked units synchronize all their waypoints constantly (making them virtually the same on all units on the ethernet network).

If you only had a NMEA network, then there is a possibility your waypoints are not identical between your units (all units have to be powered on when a waypoint is saved for it to be shared to others on the NMEA network).

Obviously then if you have both NMEA and Ethernet, then the waypoints are identical between units and only one unit needs to be backed up.

Create a file folder on your computer for Lowrance Waypoints and drag and drop a copy of the backedup waypoints into this file in case your card gets damaged, lost, or over-written.
    ciao,
    Marc

17. Member

USA

[QUOTE=rfdong;13040906]Seems like if I have Lives and AT1 the new updates don’t add that much to risk the issues some are having? I don’t recall this much problems with the 2 previous updates.[/QUOTE

Not to make excuses for Lowrance/Navico, but the roll out of the Pro's and AT2 during a time when electronics manufacturers (from cars to televisions) are scrambling to find computer chips seems to have played a role in this protracted issue and solution. My information (not verified definitively) is that after initial prototypes were produced and testing completed for the Pro's and AT2, the chip supplier couldn't deliver.

An alternate source was procured, and was supposed to be identical according to the supplier. Came to find out it was close, but no cigar.

I believe these new chip sets were also placed in the newly produced LIVE's, which changed how they also behaved with the software originally designed for the original chip sets.

Now Lowrance software engineers had to develop new software to fix the problem created by the supply chain issue and chipset substitution. And to complicate the issue there was extreme pressure to get a fix out quickly because production with the new chip set was full speed ahead to meet demand (again, which was supposed to be identical).

As a manufacturer myself (QuickDrops dropshot weights) I once experienced this 20 years ago when my overseas supplier of packaging couldn't deliver what I designed and left me high and dry. This caused me to shift my production entirely in the USA with USA-made packaging and labels that could be relied upon to meet my standards. Electronics (all brands) contain many more parts than my business, and only available overseas, so you can imagine how much more difficult it is to control the production and quality situation.

Also realize that Lowrance/Simrad/B&G products are used all over the globe, in many different types of boats and applications. On BBC we tend to think in terms of bassboats, walleye boats, and crappie fishing. The software and hardware engineers have to please all the inshore, offshore, and freshwater applications in every country. When a plan doesn't go as planned, it isn't necessarily a quick fix especially when you have many more priorities than us on BBC.

While many were upset that AT2 froze (myself included), I was probably more upset I lost the ability to use my underwater camera with the HDMI port on my new Pro's. I needed that software fix ASAP, while most on this board weren't even aware the HDMI port on the Pro's wasn't working because of the issued outllined above. My point here is that imagine you are the software engineer and you find out the programming you designed and tested no longer works because the chip set supplier failed. These units are complex with many functions that most of us never use, but all need to be fixed because the unit needs to be able to operate all the functions. Do you fix a few, or all at once? Glad I don't have to make that decision.

I would expect that this will all get sorted out and everything will be back to normal once again. I plan to hang in there and believe all will be good again because Navico/Lowrance is big enough to survive these setbacks and is vested in getting it right.
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Assuming that by networked you mean ethernet, then yes, you only need to backup from one unit because ethernet networked units synchronize all their waypoints constantly (making them virtually the same on all units on the ethernet network).

If you only had a NMEA network, then there is a possibility your waypoints are not identical between your units (all units have to be powered on when a waypoint is saved for it to be shared to others on the NMEA network).

Obviously then if you have both NMEA and Ethernet, then the waypoints are identical between units and only one unit needs to be backed up.

Create a file folder on your computer for Lowrance Waypoints and drag and drop a copy of the backedup waypoints into this file in case your card gets damaged, lost, or over-written.
    Thanks Marc!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member
    They shouldn't have dumped it off in the customers laps without proper testing! Also a major problem that wasn't addressed was that the Newer Lives with the .37 software installed do not network well if at all! They don't share maps, waypoints or transducers for more then 20 minutes at a time (if it doesn't lock up first). You can do all the Hard resets you want...that doesn't work. Lowrance needs to make this right!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Thanks Marc!
    You are welcome. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel (Marc Marcantonio) for lots of tips.
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast