Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    There are two imaging clinics in this area with open MRI. The majority of them are closed MRI

2. Member
    I've had several, and on more than on occasion they stopped to wake me up since I was moving in my sleep, and ruined the imaging.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    There are two imaging clinics in this area with open MRI. The majority of them are closed MRI
    It's been a few years since I've been in the game, but back when I servicing medical imaging equipment (retired in '17), open MRI's were more expensive to install due to more rigid room design specifications.

Open MRI's are lower field strength. The ones I maintained topped out at 1 Tesla. Closed, or bore, magnets could range up to 3 tesla (max allowed by the FDA.) Higher field strength magnets scan faster than lower field magnets, so that allows higher patient throughput (more $$$$ generated in a given day but I didn't say that.) 3T magnets do excel for certain studies though. Sometimes 1.5T is better. Depdns on what the Docs are looking for. But 3T systems tend to cost more to purchase on the other hand.

The reason 3T magnets can scan faster is because the relaxation rates between fat and water tissues separate just a little faster in a 3T main field than they do in smaller field strength magnets. That big magnet orients the majority of the hydrogen nuclei in your body in the same direction and make them precess (spin) at a frequency dependent on the main field strength. Then carefully shaped radio frequency pulses whack these little spinning hydrogen nuclei to get them to flip to the desired angle. When the little nuclei relax sometime later (which depends on what kind of body tissue each little nuclei is in) the system picks up the little teeny tiny RF energy that each little nuclei emits, then magic happens in the back room and an image is produced. When the RF signal is received from the little nuclei can be modified to yield different resultant images which gives more info to the Docs to help diagnose the patient. All kinds of image acquisition parameters can be varied, which is why many sequences are normally run on a patient to get the data needed. This is why an MRI brain scan can "see" multiple sclerosis plaques for example, while a CT brain scan won't normally pick up on a MS diagnosis. The MRI is superior for soft tissue imaging but it's MUCH slower than a CT scan.

It's simply amazing technology.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I got a good nap while in there. No big deal.
    It's funny, I can almost sleep in there too. It's strange that I have SO many phobias, but that ain't one of them.

5. Member
    This is a example of a radiation treatment mask for your head, mine was more like a Hockey mask that guy with the chainsaws wore in the movie. https://www.cancer.gov/PublishedCont...v600358810.jpg

6. Member
    you cannot stick me in that Tube.

Found a place in Hurst TX that do them while sitting up. They put a bar across the front to put your arms on and then asked, What movie would you like to watch, Piece of Cake.
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

7. Member
    I don’t have a issue with mri, I just had one. Just had surgery also, torn distal bicep tendon repaired, left, no fishing for a bit
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Banned
    i always fall asleep then get fussed at for twitching. ask for the semi enclosed

9. Member
    Just had a knee MRI on Sunday. Was glad that I only had to go in as far as my chest. Had a mild sedative beforehand anyhow as the last few years I have become somewhat claustrophobic. I just hate the s--t that happens to me as I age.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    I'm 6 foot two and 270#. I ain't ascared of anything....except that tube. If it was life or death I'd probably die before I went back in.

I've had a couple. Not a big deal to me but I am surprised by the number of people who are claustrophobic, and afraid of spiders.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

12. Member
    I don’t think it would bother me one bit but then I can’t have one because of pacemaker/difib.

13. Member
    I have them play some soul music in the headphones and i'm usually asleep in 5 minutes.
    Please release me,let me go.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim619 View Post
    It's been a few years since I've been in the game, but back when I servicing medical imaging equipment (retired in '17), open MRI's were more expensive to install due to more rigid room design specifications.

Open MRI's are lower field strength. The ones I maintained topped out at 1 Tesla. Closed, or bore, magnets could range up to 3 tesla (max allowed by the FDA.) Higher field strength magnets scan faster than lower field magnets, so that allows higher patient throughput (more $$$$ generated in a given day but I didn't say that.) 3T magnets do excel for certain studies though. Sometimes 1.5T is better. Depdns on what the Docs are looking for. But 3T systems tend to cost more to purchase on the other hand.

The reason 3T magnets can scan faster is because the relaxation rates between fat and water tissues separate just a little faster in a 3T main field than they do in smaller field strength magnets. That big magnet orients the majority of the hydrogen nuclei in your body in the same direction and make them precess (spin) at a frequency dependent on the main field strength. Then carefully shaped radio frequency pulses whack these little spinning hydrogen nuclei to get them to flip to the desired angle. When the little nuclei relax sometime later (which depends on what kind of body tissue each little nuclei is in) the system picks up the little teeny tiny RF energy that each little nuclei emits, then magic happens in the back room and an image is produced. When the RF signal is received from the little nuclei can be modified to yield different resultant images which gives more info to the Docs to help diagnose the patient. All kinds of image acquisition parameters can be varied, which is why many sequences are normally run on a patient to get the data needed. This is why an MRI brain scan can "see" multiple sclerosis plaques for example, while a CT brain scan won't normally pick up on a MS diagnosis. The MRI is superior for soft tissue imaging but it's MUCH slower than a CT scan.

It's simply amazing technology.
    i go to a for profit facility and needed an MRI scheduled. Called they asked what location and the told me they only have a 3T machine and what I need should be done on the 1.5. I said I want the latest greatest imaging and they explained why. Found this to be very refreshing in a for profit world. Usually not much for patient health in for profit. Hope it lasts.
    Please release me,let me go.

15. Member
    I had my only MRI 20 some years ago, one week after a patient in NY was killed in the MRI because someone left an unsecured oxygen bottle in the room, When they hit the switch, it instantly occupied the same regions as their head. Man, I was as nervous as a cat on cocaine when I stepped into the room

https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92745&page=1

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfish View Post
    The worst one I had to do was for Tinnitus in my left ear. My head had to be in a cage to keep me from moving it and then went into the tube. That was a grueling experience.
    A few years ago I had to have one of those, they thought I had a stroke and were doing an MRI on my brain, never forget, it was at 1 a m in the morning, lasted almost an hour, seemed like a year, I do not think I could do that again without being medicated, the guy that gave it said most people will pause the test at least a couple of times, I asked him, why the hell did you not tell me I could pause it ? Turned out all I had was a bad case of vertigo or BPPV.

17. Member
    I couldn't even do it after they doped me up

Have not had to do one yet, but I can get claustrophobic, hopefully that will be a bridge I do not need to cross.

I have had 2 so far. 1st for abdominal pain, 2nd for prostate. First one they gave me head phones. Don't go to sleep on us, stay awake. 2nd time was no sound, just the banging of the machine. 2nd one lasted almost an hour. With contrast on both. Easy peasy. I did need help getting up after the 2nd one. An hour with left arm up over the head got a little stiff after a while.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I got a good nap while in there. No big deal.
    Same here
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast