Question charger issue ???

So, I get home from a T on Saturday and plug in my Minn Kota 2 bank charger and shortly after notice smoke coming from the battery compartment. Find Charger wires to batteries are so hot the fuses are red and burning. I unplugged the charger, and the wires are a little melted and the fuse holders are shot. So, the question is I keep my throw cushion in the battery compartment on top of my trolling batteries and am wondering if this could have possibly caused a short or is my charger done???Never noticed an issue with this before.

Thanks

Not unless your cushion is made of metal !! Strange, as the Fuses are supposed to protect against this happening. Was it both sets of leads ? Was it both black and red wires ? Were the wires already connected to the batteries or did you connect them each time you use the charger ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    LOL thanks. Yes, it was both wires on both sets of leads and connections are the same they have been for years without issue.

4. Member
    Wouldn't cause a short but the wires and batteries do get warm when charging and the cushion could act as insulation and cause them to get hotter. Enough to start melting might be a stretch though.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Wouldn't cause a short but the wires and batteries do get warm when charging and the cushion could act as insulation and cause them to get hotter. Enough to start melting might be a stretch though.
    It has to be caused by a short, but what is really strange is the fuse didn't blow. Unless, the fuses have been changed to too high an amperage.
    Emti56 have you tested the batteries ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    In a closed compartment in warm to hot weather that charger can get hot enough to melt insulation. What exact charger and batteries? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go