Minn Kota variable speed switch

I have a Minn Kota maxxum with a broken variable speed switch. I cannot get the serial number because the housing was replaced and it did not get transferred off the old housing. It is a 2002 model. I have searched the net and not having any luck. Every site i go to wants a serial number. The switch wiring runs into the module and cannot be unhooked. It doesn't look like it's replaceable so i guess I need a module. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Have you tried trollingmotorparts.com ? I've bought stuff for various trolling motors from them and never provided the serial number.

3. Member
    There are many changes to trolling motors over 21 years. How do they know which one you have? The serial number is how they can look it up and give you the correct part. There very well not be a part available for it after 21 years! Just guessing but I doubt anything is the same now as it was then. Practically the stone ages vs todays electronics. Buying an old trolling motor may be your best shot, but a used working motor or a new one may be your only means of fixing the old motor. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

"The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Thanks for the link. I didn't think about how old it was and I'm sure it's an analog board. I guess either find an old one and rob the board or buy a new one. What would you recommend for just a basic Minn Kota 24 volt. I haven't looked at trolling motors in years. Thanks for the help

6. Member
    Try looking on eBay to get a feel for prices. Ultrex would be the biggest price and technology if you want pedal driven steering. The minn kota sight is the place to see what is available. To keep the price down ,either ebay or one of the parts/repair centers is the way to get a rebuilt. Someone will have a link or at least a name for one. Bob
    Actually the site Roy gave might have what you need. Try them
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-04-2023 at 06:40 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

If you need the control board, this should be the correct part.

https://northlandmarine.com/products...-board-2884052

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Is your Maxxum hand or foot control? How many volt and pound thrust? Let me know, I can look it up.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

9. Member
    It's foot control 80 foot pounds 24 volt.

10. Member
    With your present situation you have options.
    As stated you can try to find a used board with the same part number. You can buy the kit Bill has the link to. Buy a reconditioned motor from a place that sell them or buy new.
    If your motor is still in pretty good shape I would go with the upgrade it that Bill has the link to. Easy to install. Just follow the directions.
    I have installed several, but it has been a couple of years since I did onr.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info on the updated circuit board. I called Northland to ask if i needed to do anything special to install it and he walked me through the steps. I was blown away at the service and to get a real person to answer the phone was a bonus. Guys I can't tell you how much i appreciate all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by mgsmith View Post
    Thanks for the info on the updated circuit board. I called Northland to ask if i needed to do anything special to install it and he walked me through the steps. I was blown away at the service and to get a real person to answer the phone was a bonus. Guys I can't tell you how much i appreciate all the help.
    BTW: I have a PDF build document for a DIY lift assist for the MAXXUM. I did this some time ago and have sent out several hundred Docs over the years. Inexpensive, works great and includes some customizations to tighten up slack in the pivot pins.
    Here’s the Build sheet for download.
    Attached Files Attached Files

13. Member
    Bill thanks for the info. When I get this TM fixed I'm going to look in to that I like that Idea.

14. Member
    I want to thank everyone for their help. I ordered the board from Northland marina. I could not believe how easy it was to install. It works great and I didn't have to buy a new one.

15. Member
    If your motor is old it probably has a lot of slop in the bushings and pins, if you put the kit Bill Reynolds is referencing it takes all that noise out and makes lifting the motor an easy task. It's easy to install and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mgsmith View Post
    Bill thanks for the info. When I get this TM fixed I'm going to look in to that I like that Idea.
    I followed Bill's instructions with my 70# and it's worked great (did this long time ago) have only had to replace one shock since then, thanks again Bill...

Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    I followed Bill's instructions with my 70# and it's worked great (did this long time ago) have only had to replace one shock since then, thanks again Bill...
    My original post was in 2017 in the Clever Tips and Ideas forum and it has over 41,000 views to date.
    I enjoy creating and sharing DIY projects and am very pleased that so many people see the value in this one.