Troubleshooting Hydraulic Steering

Anybody know a good way to find a pesky leak in the hydraulic steering system? End cap seals on steering cylinder are good. No leaks at the helm. Had system bled with a power purge unit a month ago and now has air in the system again. Can't figure out where the air is getting in. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

2. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Are you losing fluid or is the piston bypassing internally and you lose steering? Easy to reseal if the latter is the case

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSkipper View Post
    Are you losing fluid or is the piston bypassing internally and you lose steering? Easy to reseal if the latter is the case
    I hadn't lost steering... not sure if the piston is bypassing internally or not. I was doing some cleaning in the boat and I grabbed the steering wheel to clean it... turned it a little (maybe a 1/4 turn) and the helm burped a good amount of fluid out of the vent/fill cap. Called the shop that bled the system recently and he said air is getting in somehow. I figured if air is getting in, fluid must be getting out... but I dropped it off today to have them take another look at it.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

4. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Or they didn't bleed it properly

5. Member
    THIS!

Could be... we will see what they say. I will report back with results.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

7. Member
    Don't turn the wheel with the cap off and the system full.

8. Member
    I was told this long time ago and still do it religiously. Turn the wheel full left, hold pressure, and crack the fill cap then retighten. Do the same thing to the right. Repeat until you don't hear air bleed when you crack cap. Steering will stay tight unless you have leak or internal check valve leaking by.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    Could be... we will see what they say. I will report back with results.
    Funny you say that... the o-ring on the fill cap was bad. I thought it had a vent. Shows what I know.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X