Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happened to the affordable family performance boat

The performance fishing boat market is popular and full of many options. But the family performance sport boat is hard to find especially when you are talking "affordable." At a time when affordable is a relative word, the $300k plus boats are selling well, but back in the day a family could get into a family boat that ran 70 or 80+ MPH and was accessible.

More here:

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2023...rformance-boat

A 2000 Checkmate Pulsare 2100

I never thought of a "family boat" as one that ran 70mph+ and only sat two people
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I never thought of a "family boat" as one that ran 70mph+ and only sat two people
    A dude with a mullet, three chicks and a bag of coke isn’t a family?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post

5. Member
    What happened to affordable [insert anything here]?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Ahhhh, the West Virginia definition of "family." You do have a point
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcat33 View Post
    What happened to affordable [insert anything here]?
    I got an answer but I cannot post it here

8. Member
    https://boats-from-usa.com/sea-ray/s...achanga-207615

I almost bought a SeaRay Pachangia back in the day with twin 454s . It was a fast boat . Could have bought it new in 87 for $35,000 . I bought my first waterfront lot instead. It was the correct decision, I did not have the mullet but I was single and knew that boat would be a chick magnet at the time.

9. Member
    I'm coming at this as a big fan of this type of boat, but...
    My first boat was a 1948 Chris Craft, beautiful mahogany and beautiful curves. She held 5 people and could pull a skier. Oh! And that glorious exhaust note! What a looker.
    So you run down the lake in your "family performance boat"... then what? Every other style of boat does everything better. PWC's are more fun individually, fishing boats fish better, pontoons offer better logistics for people, dedicated wake boats/ski boats do that job better, etc etc.
    It's probably just a style of boat that's become extinct. And that's a shame.

10. Member
    It bit the dust!

11. Member
    The pontoon became the family rig.

12. Member
    I like my Triton Allure - F=S.. Family boat..

An Allison Prosport XB21 would make for a nice family cruiser! Priced one out years ago and regret not pulling the trigger...

14. Member
    Every boat is a compromise. I’ve had ski boats, fishing boats, PWCs, and a tritoon. I’ve finally settled on a Lund Tyee. It does a little bit of everything. You can ski, fish, cruise with family, or just anchor and swim for the day. It handles rough water well, tows easily, and fits in the garage. Lol.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    The performance fishing boat market is popular and full of many options. But the family performance sport boat is hard to find especially when you are talking "affordable." At a time when affordable is a relative word, the $300k plus boats are selling well, but back in the day a family could get into a family boat that ran 70 or 80+ MPH and was accessible.

More here:

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2023...rformance-boat

A 2000 Checkmate Pulsare 2100
    is that Matt Robertson's boat?

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    is that Matt Robertson's boat?
    No, but Matt must have good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Most seat 5. People like the speed and handling of a performance boat over a family tug boat.

One of the best ever, Allison Grand Sport

19. Member
    Tried multiple versions of the fish n ski and none of them did either very well. Once I bought a couple of pwc’s and a bass boat, everyone was happy and if on a week vacation to Powell as long as I returned by the end of the week I stayed out of trouble.

20. #FRB
    I don't know, aside from just cruising around the lake I don't see how the type of boat this thread is about would be good for much else. It's the marine version of a sports car. When it comes to an "affordable" family boat it's hard to beat a deep V aluminum with enough hp to pull a skier or tube but not so much it jacks the price of the boat way up.

In early 1990 my dad bought a leftover '89 Spectrum 1900 with an 85 Force for $6000. He got what he paid for but for 10 years we beat the crap out of that boat and it mostly took it despite him not maintaining it like he should have. The Force motor had its issues but it was still reliable for the most part if you knew how to start it and slam it into gear before it died. Pretty sure they were still the old Chrysler for '89 because it sure looked like one under the cowling. No power trim either so someone always had to be ready to lift the motor by hand as we were on a collision course for the bank. It would pull two 200# skiers...BARELY with 6 others in the boat and it was just fast enough to pull tubes but not so fast it was dangerous. He got his money's worth out of that boat several times over with all the lake trips with the people from church we ran with. He provided the boat and the others kept us all fed while out on the lake and camping. I remember him wanting something like a Bayliner but he could do things with his aluminum boat that would make the fiberglass pleasure boat owners cringe.

My reason for telling this story about a boat we can all agree was a POS is because there's nothing wrong with a basic family tug boat because they're versatile and willing to bet most looking for "affordable" would choose one of them over something like what this thread was originally about. That's my honest speculation about what happened to the "performance family boat". And I can't deny the fact that pontoon boats are really nice for easing around the lake and having fun.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast