Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    I make and serve dinner every night and I have yet to get a tip.

2. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuchmann View Post
    Going off this a little I ordered from Jimmy John's in the app, went in and picked up and was asked if I wanted to tip. I declined. It was one of my students, he came to class the next day and said I was cheap for not tipping. I asked why he thought I should tip him. His response was I filled your cup and handed your sandwich to you.
    Lol, I wouldn’t eat there again , hard telling what might be in your food /drink next time. LOL

3. Member
    Service is so bad now that they wouldn't get a tip, so they pressure you into tipping before the meal.

We tip 15-20% after the meal depending on QOS. And I only tip for meals and haircuts these days. Tipping has gotten out of hand.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    We tip 15-20% after the meal depending on QOS. And I only tip for meals and haircuts these days. Tipping has gotten out of hand.
    why haircuts?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    why haircuts?
    Because right after he tipped the girl at the massage parlor and the dentist office, it got awkward.

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    why haircuts?
    I always tip $5 on a $20 haircut.

A barber/stylist wields an immense amount of power...

Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Only time I tip before anything is the bartender at a wedding. Throw them a $20 at the start of the wedding and I get prefered service all night long.
    Same here, usually at a bar drinking with friends..... I've always receive my beer as I'm walking up to the bar. $20 To Insure Promptness

Ask him or her if they know TIP means.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

9. Member
    I always thought a gratuity was expected at a barber shop because it is a gentlemanly thing to do.

While I don't tip my Doc or other professionals who earn good money, I do tip other personal service workers, such as my masseuse and barber. I have an on-going relationship with them and they don't make great money. I usually tip them 20%. Wait staff usually get 15% unless the service is horrific or extra great. Then, their tip goes down or up, accordingly.

Just an FYI - the norm used to be to tip wait staff 10%. Then, it went to 15%. Over the same years, food prices at restaurants kept up with or surpassed inflation. So, wait staff essentially got a 50% real raise in purchasing power when the tipping norm when from 10% - 15%. I don't know about others, but my pay never increased by 50% over those same years.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdic View Post
    Same here, usually at a bar drinking with friends..... I've always receive my beer as I'm walking up to the bar. $20 To Insure Promptness

Ask him or her if they know TIP means.
    Has anyone ever taken back the tip if service was no better than everyone else at the wedding ? ? ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345