Hydraulic Steering Upgrade

Hi everyone, I recently acquired my first bass boat: a beautiful 1993 Champion 176 SCR w/ a 1993 Evinrude Intruder 150hp. The boat is awesome and I'm stoked to own a Champ! I've been taking full advantage of all of the amazing info on this site!

My main issue is with the steering. It has the Teleflex dual rack system. The steering is pretty tough and there is major torque steer(probably need to adjust trim tab). I'm planning to just make the upgrade to hydraulic pretty soon here, honestly it is mostly a safety concern for me. I also plan to add a manual(hydraulic isn't in the budget) jackplate when I upgrade the steering. I'm thinking either a 3" or 6" plate, open to suggestions? I will also be resealing everything, particularly going to make sure the transom trim is sealed.

Now with hydrualic steering, seems Uflex systems are the way to go. I'm going between the Hytech(175hp max) kit and the Protech(300hp max) kit. The Protech is about $400 more expensive(separate hose price included). My Intruder does fall within range of the Hytech, but I'm not sure if nearly maxing out the system is a good idea. I also have a feeling the premade hoses bought separate from the protech kit would be better than the cut to length hose included in the hytech kit?

My final concern is with tilt clearance of the hydraulic cylinder when the motor is mounted on a manual jack plate. Has anyone run into this issue? Would a 3" vs 6" jack plate be better as far as getting the clearance necessary? Thanks for all of your advice, it is much appreciated.

I am pretty sure the Hytech is rated at 150max similar to Seastar’s Baystar system. Those are usually designed for runabouts or pontoons that have their props way down in the water which have lighter steering pressure. Bassboats and the associated high prop heights produce a lot of steering pressure.

I would be going with the Protech kit. Call Uflex and ask them!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Back in 93 a 6" Rapid Jack was the OEM manual plate. I'd still recommend that plate. https://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/. You shouldn't have any clearance issues. I had a 93 201 with a 6" Rapid Jack and a Mariner 200 EFI. No problems.

On the hydraulic steering, go with the Protech system. You never want to get close to the limit on a steering system. If you haven't looked at SeaStar, you might compare pricing. SeaStar for a long time was the only choice in hydraulic steering, It's what's on my 210.

4. Member
    Just the advice I was looking for, thank you both! I'm going to get ahold of Uflex to make sure the Protech will work for me, I'll also compare to Sea Star. I've heard great things about the Rapid Jack manual plates, I will be looking into getting one of those.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome to the family!!!!!!

6. Member
    I put UFlex on my boat last yr.
    181 F/S
    $800. for the kit
    My advice before you get started , remove the steering wheel,
    measure the opening that you removed steering wheel from (i d),
    next measure the (o d) of the pump housing that fits in its place.
    On my dash 1/16” either way would have been a disaster.

Call UFlex tech support.
    One kit is rated < 150 hp, other kit is > 150 hp.

7. Member
    Good call, I will check around the helm to see if there will be any major clearance issues. Thanks!