Thread: P2 vs Caracal

P2 vs Caracal

I am considering purchasing a Caracal when I sell my P2. Fished a small derby on Sunday and we did a shotgun start and with my Pantera I blew the field away. It was not even close. I am sure some of you have made this change before, so how much performance will I feel like I'm losing.

Setup properly, no significant performance at all. There are trade offs though. If speed is the most important, then opt for the rear tank option and a 24v Ultrex if going MK. If holeshot is important then go with the belly tank but you will lose under-seat storage. Fishing comfort is VASTLY improved with the Caracal. I had a 2010 PII and love the wide deck and forward TM pedal of the Caracal.

I have rear 26gal tanks, 36v Ultrex; 2x Helix 10s, M360, MLive at the bow; 1x Helix 10 at the console; 3x 12v 60ah lithiums for trolling and a Northstar 31AGM for cranking and everything else. I get 72-73mph with low fuel, 70-71 with half fuel and 69-70mph full fuel using my stock 23P Fury 4. I plan to have it worked by Ronnie this summer. Holeshot is fast but not PII fast.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I just made that change. I sold my 2018 PII and ordered a 2023 Caracal. I was concerned about holeshot since the lakes in Florida are extremely shallow. I went with standard belly tank and small kicker tank. I have lithium batteries and the standard slide master jackplate. I can tell you I was shocked and can honestly say my holeshot is the same if not better then the PII. I am 6 foot 4 and can tell you I love the added width in the console area and massive front deck on my new Caracal. I loved my PII and was extremely worried about getting rid of it, but I feel I made the right choice with the Caracal.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    I strongly considered the Caracal, but did not have the space in the garage to fit it, all my crap, and my truck.

Its got alot more storage to weigh it down so dont go over board on graphs and heavy tackle. I loved mine and they fish well. Only gripe I had was loading it on the trailer.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

6. Member
    The caracal is twice the boat compared to to p2 imo. P2 has the best holeshot of any cat ive had or been in. But its light and small compared to the caracal. Top speed is about the same. 73-74. You wont win any boat races but when you fish its so big and comfy it makes up for it. If you fish 2 on the deck its nice not having the rods stepped on by the co angler. No back wash either.