Electronics Updating Question

Ok I'm looking for some opinions here. I am am selling a few things to be able to upgrade my electronics in the boat. I am considering two paths which I know are unique to each other. I am looking at getting either a used livescope setup or a used 360 setup. I know they do very different things, so here's my question.

For those of you who've used both... if you were in the place were you only able to get one, which one would you get and why?

2. Member
    Livescope, and its not particularly close. I even got rid of a 360 unit to mount a perspective mode livescope setup.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Does livescope see structure as well as a 360 unit?

Really depends on the lakes you fish and the style of fishing you do. Do you care about seeing fish swimming or do you want to see the structure around you? I wouldn't ever go without my 360 now that I've learned how to use it. I see things on 360 that my live just doesn't pick up and it helps when I want to know where the structure is. Now that being said, they work awesome together to give you a great picture of the area you are fishing.

Over the winter I was fishing a local lake and we weren't getting a lot of bites. I moved over a long point and saw a rock pile on the 360, it was off to the side of the point and I wouldn't have known it was there without the 360. When I turned the boat to get a closer look, I was able to see the back side of the rock pile with the live and all the fish were sitting on that side of it! So I moved out and got the angle right where I could cast to them and pulled a nice fish out of there on my first cast! So the two technologies worked together to allow me to catch that fish.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

5. Member
    livescope livescope livescope. 360 can be nice for offshore fishing and positioning but they are two completely different tools IMO.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Really depends on the lakes you fish and the style of fishing you do. Do you care about seeing fish swimming or do you want to see the structure around you? .
    For the lakes I fish. offshore definitely dominates. I currently have HDS gen 3's, I'm learning a bit, but it's really hard to tell the structure around. For instance there is one big point which I have caught several nice fish off of, but idling around has been challenging to locate specifics on there. I have caught fish by fan-casting, but feel I could be more productive if I could get a better view of what's under the water.

What you said about them working well together is my end goal, but that will take time. I have an older boat, that I have been slowly making upgrades to and I am trying to keep in budget. So for now I will be going with just one, and that's why I asked if you could only do one at first which would it be?

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Have both, both great tools. If had to narrow it to only 1 100% be livescope

Quote Originally Posted by StetsonBasser View Post
    For the lakes I fish. offshore definitely dominates. I currently have HDS gen 3's, I'm learning a bit, but it's really hard to tell the structure around. For instance there is one big point which I have caught several nice fish off of, but idling around has been challenging to locate specifics on there. I have caught fish by fan-casting, but feel I could be more productive if I could get a better view of what's under the water.

What you said about them working well together is my end goal, but that will take time. I have an older boat, that I have been slowly making upgrades to and I am trying to keep in budget. So for now I will be going with just one, and that's why I asked if you could only do one at first which would it be?
    Does you current setup include Down/Side imaging? If so, you can sit off that point and use the SI to get an idea of what is there, but you would have to keep moving around it. Then go over it with both 2D and DI on a split screen to really identify it. But 360 makes that a lot easier and is way more efficient.

I would say in your case, a used 360 setup would be a huge benefit and then take the time to dial it in and learn to understand what you are seeing. Not sure what Lowrance offers, but for Humminbird you would need a M360 and at least a Helix 8 or 9 - I'd suggest a 10 if you can find one in your budget. And if you find it isn't giving you the info you wanted, you could always sell it and get a live setup and try that.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

9. Member
    I fish offshore a lot on a deep, clear lake. There is nothing better than Livescope in my opinion. If you target brush piles, etc. Livescope works exceptionally well also.

360 to find the house and Livescope to see if anyone is home!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    360 to find the house and Livescope to see if anyone is home!
    The thing about 360 though is if you are good with side imaging and do a decent amount of idling, its pretty easy to mark out your spots sitting behind the wheel (way faster finding structure this way too). But you can't recreate what you can do on livescope with a 360.

livescope can do what 360 does and then some (a little more foot work with perspective mode). Livescope all the way

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    livescope can do what 360 does and then some (a little more foot work with perspective mode). Livescope all the way
    Perspective mode can see the structure the way a 360 does?

14. Member
    With an adjustable perspective mode mount, its truly impressive what kind of structure you can pick up, even fishing deep. Its not as clear as the 360, and the range isn't quite as good. That said it's real time feedback, you can see fish swimming, and you don't need to be stationary for it to give you a good image.

15. Member
    Do you already have side scan?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Yes sir that is correct.