Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I’d love to find a ‘94 f-350 crew cab 4x4 with the idi turbo. That’s my unicorn (nothing to do with power)
    My unicorn is '97 crew cab long bed 7.3

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    My unicorn is '97 crew cab long bed 7.3
    That’s my #2!

3. Member
    I'm self admittedly a non diesel guy, but I don't have a towing need that requires a diesel. As predominantly a daily driver for me any extra mpg is offset by diesel being $1.00/gal higher and DEF. However, if I towed my boat for a living I'd more than likely go diesel. My half ton Ram with a 5.7 and my Chevy 3/4 ton with 6.1 gasser would pull my Phoenix and Skeeter (locally) at about 11-14 mpg depending on which ramp I fished from. I live in mid TN where it's basically flat and smack dab between two lakes. I probably have 20 ramps under 10 miles from my driveway. Plus I don't have to get on the interstate to go fishing and pull a boat 70-80 mph. So I realize there are variables and my variables happen to be beneficial. My usual haunt to fish is 7.1 miles from my driveway and there's one stop light and one stop sign to and from. I don't even have to stop at that one stop light going to because I turn right and it has it's own turning lane and no one can come from the other direction and I always have the arrow. I do have to stop coming home because I turn left coming home.

I saw one of Zaldain's YT videos and he pulls his camper with a Ford diesel and boat with the Toyota. I mean I understand he probably can't pull the camper with a gasser but if I were him I'd probably go diesel for both. Although in that same video he made a huge deal and complained about the DEF when he and his wife stopped for fuel and walk dogs. Even Wheeler left Toyota and bought a Chevy diesel last year. Apparently he rode with someone else and drove that diesel pulling a boat up hills and was sold.

So although I'm not a diesel guy I'm not stupid, if I pulled something back and forth across the country for a living I'd more than likely go diesel.

4. Member
    I would go diesel also if I pulled for a living. But I’m in the woods a lot, dirt roads, fire trails, crossing rivers, etc. Built my rig to do exactly what I need it for. Still tows great, just eats gas. Small price to pay. But not towing a boat across country for a living.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by dickenscpa View Post
    I'm self admittedly a non diesel guy, but I don't have a towing need that requires a diesel. As predominantly a daily driver for me any extra mpg is offset by diesel being $1.00/gal higher and DEF. However, if I towed my boat for a living I'd more than likely go diesel. My half ton Ram with a 5.7 and my Chevy 3/4 ton with 6.1 gasser would pull my Phoenix and Skeeter (locally) at about 11-14 mpg depending on which ramp I fished from. I live in mid TN where it's basically flat and smack dab between two lakes. I probably have 20 ramps under 10 miles from my driveway. Plus I don't have to get on the interstate to go fishing and pull a boat 70-80 mph. So I realize there are variables and my variables happen to be beneficial. My usual haunt to fish is 7.1 miles from my driveway and there's one stop light and one stop sign to and from. I don't even have to stop at that one stop light going to because I turn right and it has it's own turning lane and no one can come from the other direction and I always have the arrow. I do have to stop coming home because I turn left coming home.

I saw one of Zaldain's YT videos and he pulls his camper with a Ford diesel and boat with the Toyota. I mean I understand he probably can't pull the camper with a gasser but if I were him I'd probably go diesel for both. Although in that same video he made a huge deal and complained about the DEF when he and his wife stopped for fuel and walk dogs. Even Wheeler left Toyota and bought a Chevy diesel last year. Apparently he rode with someone else and drove that diesel pulling a boat up hills and was sold.

So although I'm not a diesel guy I'm not stupid, if I pulled something back and forth across the country for a living I'd more than likely go diesel.
    What does real estate go for there?

Probably just that 'stache dragging down the MPGs....

7. Member
    Diesel is now cheaper than gas in Texas. First time in years.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irbf30 View Post
    Diesel is now cheaper than gas in Texas. First time in years.
    Diesel was $0.89/gal in South Texas when I got my ‘84 F-250 6.9! I’m not that old either! (38)

9. Member
    Have any of you guys thought about this. People putting tunes to there motors and then and all the deleted crap, then the motor poops and the truck is then a POS for them. I wrenched in a GM dealer and one of the guys went to a training class and GM was talking about kicking warranty repairs for pooped motors. They had the data and new what a tuned broken piston looked like or how a piston would break and new it. Don't know if they ever kicked any. The big Duramax was made for third world countries and has morphed to what it is today, and a damn good motor if left alone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet lou View Post
    Have any of you guys thought about this. People putting tunes to there motors and then and all the deleted crap, then the motor poops and the truck is then a POS for them. I wrenched in a GM dealer and one of the guys went to a training class and GM was talking about kicking warranty repairs for pooped motors. They had the data and new what a tuned broken piston looked like or how a piston would break and new it. Don't know if they ever kicked any. The big Duramax was made for third world countries and has morphed to what it is today, and a damn good motor if left alone.
    “ putting tunes to their motors and then all the deleted crap”. You do know what deleted means right? Plus a property tuned and deleted diesel will run a chit load better and cleaner with better mpg’s than stock without issue. You’re describing guys running way to much boost from aftermarket turbos. Mechanic for gm you say, hmmm.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Probably just that 'stache dragging down the MPGs....
    he does have a pretty sweet womb broom!
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    While the V6 may be fuel efficient while under no load, when towing it is under more strain and takes more effort to pull a load than a V8 would be.

13. Member
    Zaldain says he is towing boat in tow-haul mode. I never pull my boat in tow haul-....not the best gearing for mileage. Now if I was pulling a substantial trailer of some sort, I may use tow-haul.

14. Member
    That these?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

15. Member
    I filled my truck and boat up with gas at the Big Indian yesterday after catching a bunch of Lake Erie Jumbo Perch. Towing a 3k rig with my '07 Tundra I averaged 13.1 MPG on the way home. After 16 years I probably averaged 2-5 MPG less than other manufactures but my truck is ALWAYS running and not in the repair shop like many of my other prior vehicles. I would rather pay just a little bit more each week then get hammered with a $3000.00 tranny repair or whatever every other year. To each their own.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Zaldain says he is towing boat in tow-haul mode. I never pull my boat in tow haul-....not the best gearing for mileage. Now if I was pulling a substantial trailer of some sort, I may use tow-haul.
    I have tested this theory and found that tow-haul mode does not have negative effect on MY mileage.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I have tested this theory and found that tow-haul mode does not have negative effect on MY mileage.
    If your drive to the lake is up and down hills like mine is, tow mode is a good thing to have.

18. Member
    In tow mode mine won’t go into high gear till 65. I don’t use it for the boat. Just not enough of a load.

19. Member
    I tow a Phoenix 920Pro and live 2000' above sea level. Here's how my last three trucks did towing on the highway @ 75mph.

2018 Ford Raptor 8mpg
    2020 F250 PSD 13.5
    2020 GMC AT4X 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Same here, I have a 2008 2X2 Tundra 5.7. I never use the tow haul mode and never manually down shift when going up hill no matter how steep when towing my boat. I only down shift going down steep grades to slow down to prevent getting a speeding ticket and not overheat the brakes in case of a panic stop. I just leave the transmission in Drive and let it down shift when it feels it needs to. Drive in my Tundra is the 6th speed and the 2nd overdrive gear. I have no problem passing vehicles towing my boat going up steep hills, the transmission knows how far to down shift in Drive. Any body that has gone to Clear Lake from Interstate 5 to Highway 20 knows how steep and long some of the grades are. When I first got my Tundra I was worried about the hills and used the tow haul mode the entire trip and manually shifted going up the hills towing to Clear Lake. I didn't like the mileage and tried not using the tow haul mode and left the transmission in Drive the next time to Clear Lake. No problem with hills and I got about 5 more miles per gallon. Zaldain doesn't have to use the tow haul mode to tow his bass boat if the motor in his Tundra is as stout as the 5.7.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast