Thread: Male vs Female

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Male vs Female

Once the decision has been made to get a puppy, how do you decide to get a male or female? Assuming you are not going to breed the dog is there a difference other than males are typically bigger?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

For my self I always prefer males for working dogs (hunting) but for a pet I prefer female as they usually roam less and are easier to train and generally chew less , for protection I have had several female dogs that were more protective over the family / home than the males ,,, it seems it can go either way on this

3. Member
    I'll have to agree that from my experience females seem to make better family pets.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Get one of each, sure takes the pain away when one goes over the bridge.

5. Member
    I have had 3 males and 2 females dogs from childhood until now. Typically females are more gentle and loving. But that’s not always the case, and has been the complete opposite for us.

Our first female dog my parents had to get rid of because she was really aggressive towards me and my brother when we were like 3yo. The other female was a beagle that was probably the most stubborn and hard to train dog we’ve ever had. I’ll probably never get another beagle because of her. She cost my parents like 5,000 (in 2002 money) worth of damages throughout the house. Great hunting dog but tough family dog.

the best dog we ever had was a male Shetland sheepdog. He was an amazing animal, never needed a leash anywhere because he would never go more than 10 feet from any one of us and magically knew his boundaries without training. You could crawl all over him without worry.

our golden retriever now is a male and he was pretty wild from puppy up until about 5 yo. Nothing to extreme just constant energy. He’s an amazing family dog. All he wants is to be pet and played with, even at 7.5yrs old he still acts like he’s 4. He had a tough time adjusting when we brought the baby home a couple months ago and you could tell the stress really got to him, his face turned gray fast. He’s uneasy around small kids but has been great with her. He was very easy to train, the only thing we wish he wouldn’t do is bark at every little noise
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Females are more protective
    Males are care free, they do need to be neutered.

7. Member
    females only in our house. same with cats
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Once the decision has been made to get a puppy, how do you decide to get a male or female?
    Gender shouldn't be forced, let the dog decide!

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

10. Member
    You're sick, sick, sick. Funny, but so so sick.

Anyhow, I prefer female dogs but I wouldn't reject a dog because of its sex. My Lucy is in advanced kidney failure, and I'm going to replace her when she crosses over. I look at the available female dogs in shelters but I'd take a male if it fit my needs, which are mostly emotional.

God loved us. He made dogs.

11. Member
    I've always been of the belief that the dogs will tell you which one wants to be your buddy and part of the family. When you go see them if you have pick of the litter just interact with them all, it should become obvious after a while which one you should take home.

12. Member
    Thank you! I was surprised it took 8 posts to set that straight.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I've always been of the belief that the dogs will tell you which one wants to be your buddy and part of the family. When you go see them if you have pick of the litter just interact with them all, it should become obvious after a while which one you should take home.
    This!
    When our last dog passed I didn't want another dog. Buddy of mine his daughter fosters dogs and got us to go over with him to his daughter's house.
    Wife went also well Bonnie our wiener dog and my wife bonded right away and Clyde our runted beagle chose me. Kinda funny didn't want no more dogs and these two chose us even though we didn't want no more dogs.

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I think the personality of the individual dog will matter more than male or female as well as the personality of the owner. I'm guessing that there isn't a correlation between sexes and behavior. More annecdotal evidence from the perspective of an individual owner.
    Thanos was the hero

15. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Had a male for our first lab. After he passed, I wanted a male, wife wanted a female so we got one of each.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You're sick, sick, sick. Funny, but so so sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Thank you! I was surprised it took 8 posts to set that straight.
    it will be really bad if it decides it's a Cat!

I’ve always been concerned with male dogs hiking their leg and peeing on stuff. That’s a good way to cross that bridge quicker than they will. LOL……seriously, indoor dogs for us will always be female due to this reason. And don’t say that they won’t do that……
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

18. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Depends if you drink Bud Light or not.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    Males are care free, they do need to be neutered.

20. Member
    All of our personal hunting/trialing dogs are female.

I've found them to be more cooperative and a touch more receptive to training. When they have the right pedigree, they have as much drive as a male.

That said, once we find the property that we are looking for, we will have a couple of males.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast