Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    What does "going into the spikes" mean?

2. Member
    [QUOTE=scum_frog;13229484 Assuming there's nothing yamaha can do for the alternator on that side? Any help is appreciated guys![/QUOTE]
    What is it that Yamaha needs to do with respect to the alternator?

From your report of voltages it seems to be doing it's job.

Another Ionic 125ah user with a '15/'16 VF225 SHO - no issues to date - running for about a year I guess. I have considered dropping my AGM back in as a starting battery and dedicating the 125ah for electronics, but not due to capacity issues. I just have this $500+ Northstar AGM 31 behemoth sitting in the garage going to waste. Would also put some weight back in the stern, as after going all lithium and multiple bow units, plus the tackle store I keep in the boat, I am a bit bow heavy now :).

Cons, well lifting that f&cker back into the bilge for one. But I'd also have to switch from a 4-bank to a 5 bank charger, or come up with some alternative charging addon for the 5th battery. Didn't bother with it during the summer, but now that fall is here I might make a project of it, esp if I find a good deal or Black Friday deal on a MK 5 bank charger.

Chris & Trait's recent podcast had their Sponsor Battleborn rep on - he did talk about the disadvantages of using Lithium as a starter, despite some companies offering a specific dual purpose/cranking Lithium. Now, how much of that was due to Battleborn not having a Lithium Starting Battery option available, I cannot say. But overall it was an interesting look into the back end of Lithium manf/packaging/selling biz.

4. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I also have had an Ionic 125ah crank battery and Ionic charger on my 2014 SHO for almost 2 years now with no problems.

I hope you figure it out……
    I've run the Ionic 125 ah Cranking battery for almost a year. Not a single problem on my 200 SHO.

A couple of months or so with an Ionic 125 on my old 2010 250 SHO and no probs at all. Always comes home showing 99% charge and no shutdowns.

6. Member
    So when it started kicking my motor off I put my helix on so I can watch voltage and all of that and it goes all over the place......13v all the way up to 17v and in between non stop.....it does it constantly..... and only does it once the battery is up to full charge....when it is not full charge its perfect at 13.4-13.5v steady no movement.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

7. Member
    I'm still having the issue of sudden shutdown when the starting batt reached full charge. I've reached out to Bill at Impulse and none of the suggested fixes have been a long term solution. Been managing the problem by making sure my starting batt doesn't ever get fully charged and if it does, then I run my graphs till it sucks some juice down. Not ideal. Not sure what to do at this point.

8. Member
    Thanks for the update.

9. Lost in Desert.......Help
    Hi brainf.

PM Sent

10. Member
    Yea thats what ive been doing as well.....Amped is sending me a new battery to double check it is not a battery issue so im thankful they have such great customer service. If it ends up not being a battery issue "which i dont think it is" then ill either have to try running the power pole charge and seeing if that helps or go back to an AGM which I do not want to do.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    I'm still having the issue of sudden shutdown when the starting batt reached full charge. I've reached out to Bill at Impulse and none of the suggested fixes have been a long term solution. Been managing the problem by making sure my starting batt doesn't ever get fully charged and if it does, then I run my graphs till it sucks some juice down. Not ideal. Not sure what to do at this point.

Call me so we can get you fixed up, last I saw on posts you posted everything was good

Bill

205-965-8436

12. Member
    Follow-up: The folks at Impulse Lithium have shipped a new starting battery today, with an newly designed BMS that should take care of the problem. I couldn't be happier with that kind of customer service, so difficult to find these days. They are standing behind their products without hesitation. Pretty impressive if you ask me and makes me glad I bought from them.

13. Member
    I have had the ionic 125 for going on 3 years with “0”…. Issues…

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Another Ionic 125ah user with a '15/'16 VF225 SHO - no issues to date - running for about a year I guess. I have considered dropping my AGM back in as a starting battery and dedicating the 125ah for electronics, but not due to capacity issues. I just have this $500+ Northstar AGM 31 behemoth sitting in the garage going to waste. Would also put some weight back in the stern, as after going all lithium and multiple bow units, plus the tackle store I keep in the boat, I am a bit bow heavy now :).

Cons, well lifting that f&cker back into the bilge for one. But I'd also have to switch from a 4-bank to a 5 bank charger, or come up with some alternative charging addon for the 5th battery. Didn't bother with it during the summer, but now that fall is here I might make a project of it, esp if I find a good deal or Black Friday deal on a MK 5 bank charger.

Chris & Trait's recent podcast had their Sponsor Battleborn rep on - he did talk about the disadvantages of using Lithium as a starter, despite some companies offering a specific dual purpose/cranking Lithium. Now, how much of that was due to Battleborn not having a Lithium Starting Battery option available, I cannot say. But overall it was an interesting look into the back end of Lithium manf/packaging/selling biz.
    I stayed with an AGM for my starter and use an Ionic 125 for the electronics. The ionic is charged with a dc charger (Powerhouse Lithium’s Run-n-Gun specifically) piggy backed to the starter AGM, so my 4 bank charger stays the same. The lithium gets charged anytime the starting battery is getting charged (whether it’s running on the water or plugged in at home), but is otherwise separated from the AGM. Running just electronics, my 125ah lithium can get down to 20% at the end of a long practice day, so I’m not willing to use a single lithium for everything, even if the BMS can handle the SHO (which I haven’t tested).

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I stayed with an AGM for my starter and use an Ionic 125 for the electronics. The ionic is charged with a dc charger (Powerhouse Lithium’s Run-n-Gun specifically) piggy backed to the starter AGM, so my 4 bank charger stays the same. The lithium gets charged anytime the starting battery is getting charged (whether it’s running on the water or plugged in at home), but is otherwise separated from the AGM. Running just electronics, my 125ah lithium can get down to 20% at the end of a long practice day, so I’m not willing to use a single lithium for everything, even if the BMS can handle the SHO (which I haven’t tested).
    This is pretty much what I am considering - putting my Northstar AGM back in for Motor and boat wiring/pp/etc, and using a combiner or similar with my PCL 460 (or maybe aMK-550 PCL if I find a sweet BF deal). Then dedicate the Ionic 125ah to Electronics only. Still mulling it over.

16. Member
    I was running the X2 with no issues or anything just wanted to get the weight reduction of the lithium and leveling out the boat a little more as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    This is pretty much what I am considering - putting my Northstar AGM back in for Motor and boat wiring/pp/etc, and using a combiner or similar with my PCL 460 (or maybe aMK-550 PCL if I find a sweet BF deal). Then dedicate the Ionic 125ah to Electronics only. Still mulling it over.
    Shoot I forgot I installed a livewell temp sensor, which kinda sticks out the back into the area the battery would sit. I think it will still fit, but will be close. More of a "wrangling it into position" issue than anything. :(.

18. Member
    i also have had zero issues with lithium; and i do not have a pp charge system in. my setup is 2 125aH lithium;1 for cranking,1 for electronics;and 3-50aH for trolling motor. i also am still using my MK precision 4 bank as charger for all 5 with the lead split between cranker and electronic batteries and ALL charge to 100%

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattsuey View Post
    i also have had zero issues with lithium; and i do not have a pp charge system in. my setup is 2 125aH lithium;1 for cranking,1 for electronics;and 3-50aH for trolling motor. i also am still using my MK precision 4 bank as charger for all 5 with the lead split between cranker and electronic batteries and ALL charge to 100%
    Do you have a switch between the cranking and electronics batteries? Thank you
    Wes

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattsuey View Post
    Is the cranking battery, and possibly the house battery, being charged by the Yamaha alternator when the motor is running?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast