casting braid to leader

Thoughts on a casting rod for a finesse jig on braid to leader?

2. Member
    I use a braid to leader on nearly 90% of all of my setups, and especially on the rods I use finesse jigs with.

im using 20-30lb braid to 10-12lb leader. I connect the mainline and leader with an Alberto knot. Never had it fail, it’s very thin and when you get used to it you can tie the knot in less than 30sec
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I use aidouble uni knot

4. Member

Improved Albright similar to the Alberto but easier and I have had zero knot failures both Spinning and casting

5. Member
    no knot is easier to tie than a crazy alberto knot. justin lucas has an excellent video about this knot on youtube. excellent.

6. Member
    I use braid to fluorocarbon on my spinning rods no better set up in my opinion, thats light line. But heavy braid to a 20 lb fluorocarbon line the knot is to big to go through your rod eyes smoothly. I have used a 18” leader of mon line to braid on my top water lures with treble hooks but it cast better if you keep your knot out of your eye tip. Hope that helps.

7. Member
    A decent illustration of the Alberto:

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot

Compare to the well known, long existing Albright knot:

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special

8. Member
    The shin fukae knot is super simple and works great.

9. Member
    I’ve just never saw the point of braid to leader on casting gear. If you need braid use braid. If not use floro or mono.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    I’ve just never saw the point of braid to leader on casting gear. If you need braid use braid. If not use floro or mono.
    Braid for the main line lasts longer, has less drag if you are trying to get deep, easy to see and helps get through grass.

But it is visible to fish and easily abraded.

Add a fluoro leader which is nearly invisible and abrasion resistant and you have a nearly perfect line.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    The shin fukae knot is super simple and works great.
    This is the knot I use now. I was using the Alberto but this is faster and easier. Seems just as strong if not better.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

The downside is how the braid digs into the spool on hookset.

13. Member
    I thought the question was a rod type recommendation. I have a custom made mh 6 ft 6 spiral wrap casting rod. I pair it with a small 100 dollar Daiwa Megaforce Plus reel that I bought 4 of for half price off of Legacy years ago specifically for finesse jigs. I use either 8 lb XT or 8 lb braid with a 6 or 7 lb floro with the jigs. Its my first jig rod out of the locker.

I put a flipping clinic on with that setup years ago in a 15 boat club tournament. My partner had an early limit and we went to fish thick weeds in 4 feet of water. I boated 3 limits on the 1/4 oz bitsy bug in a small area including lunker. I culled my partners fish easily and we weighed in the only limit that day. There were 7 boats on the weed flat near us and second place was 2 fish.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 04-10-2023 at 07:08 AM.

14. Member
    Honestly, go with cheaper rods. Cheaper rods tend to have larger eyelets so the knot passes through easier. I fished with nothing but braid to leader for several years because I only had a few rods, so I had to make them work for everything, and it was cheaper to use braid for 3-4 years and just add/remove leaders.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

15. Member
    Learned the hard way about flouro from braid. Taking it off anything larger than 20lb casting and going straight braid. Knot gets beat up way too much when casting on heavier swimbaits, chatterbaits and some crankbaits.

16. Member
    If it's a light wire hook I like a st croix medium power fast action.