Thread: VX card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VX card

Neither of my Apex units read the vx card. It was working on the boat ride out then all of a sudden it went to base map. Took card out put the older Lakemaster card worked fine. Went to the other Apex and it did the same thing, same symptom, can the cards go bad?
    Got the card from Brian at BBG who is no longer there.

2. Member
    Make sure the card does not have something spilled or covering one of the contacts. Other than that make sure the VX is selected in the chart section. If still no go, HB will have to replace the chip. I would guess it will have to be sent in for them to check it out. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    For some reason, I have to run the VX chart card in the bottom slot in my Apex. It seems that I also have to insert it just right for it to be recognized.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Steve, my VX is in the top slot and works fine. Do you get the same situation in your other Apex?

5. Member
    SLY, mine does the same thing. I have 2 units at the console and it will not read in one of my units, but will in the other bottom slot. It occasionally goes out while I’m running on plane. It’s annoying. Any solutions?

6. Member
    This is not sounding good! Are all these Apex units the same size? Mine is a 13 and I have no SD issue.

7. Member
    I tried running regular lakemaster card in my Apex 13's and wouldn't recognize it.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Steve, my VX is in the top slot and works fine. Do you get the same situation in your other Apex?
    Yes, it is my Apex 19 that has a problem. For some reason the top slot seems to be "picky". It will work for my data card but not the VX card. Even with the Data card, if I remove it, I sometimes have to reseat it a couple of times before it will recognize the card. I assume it is an issue of some sort with the card reader itself but it's intermittent so I'm just living with it. Once the data card is in and recognized by slot 1, everything operates fine until I remove it and put it back... sometimes.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDonkeyHunter View Post
    SLY, mine does the same thing. I have 2 units at the console and it will not read in one of my units, but will in the other bottom slot. It occasionally goes out while I’m running on plane. It’s annoying. Any solutions?
    As I just posted, mine will read my data card on Slot 1 but doesn't seem to like the VX card. It seems to work better if I push the card in and then release it slowly until it "catches" rather than a quick push/release.

10. Member
    Steve, sounds like that could be an issue with the card reader catch mechanism. Not positive positioning. The other guys might try slowly releasing the chip. I won’t be surprised to see some kind of alert in the future. (Faulty readers)
    Maybe check this out:
    Longer fingernails might be the difference here?
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-09-2023 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Longer finger nails?

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Steve, sounds like that could be an issue with the card reader catch mechanism. Not positive positioning. The other guys might try slowly releasing the chip. I won’t be surprised to see some kind of alert in the future. (Faulty readers)
    Maybe check this out:
    Longer fingernails might be the difference here?
    In my case, the SD card is "catching" after pushing it in but, if I let it quickly snap back to the "catch", it doesn't seem to work. I just have to do it slowly.

12. Member
    A slight mechanical bind could be the problem either way. I am not sure I hear it click, but I can feel when the latch mechanism snap in when I push it in fully. It sure sounds very similar to the described situation. He also has very shortly clipped nails and needs something to get it fully inserted. Bob

13. Member
    I'm going to call Humminbird today as when I need it the most it goes out. When it happens nothing works as suggested. I will go back to the older Lakemaster card. Its getting old being Humminbirds beta testers.

14. Member
    Please let us know what they said. Bob

15. Member
    Update
    I used the call back feature on the one boat network app and it said I would receive a call in 2 hours, 5 minutes later they called. I explained my situation and she told me to take pictures of the card, card holder and box it came in. Then in another email she wanted a picture of the files that were on the card so I took a picture of that. She called me back and told me that their team had the same issues on certain units they were testing and it seemed to only be happening to the VX premium card. She told me to sent my units (Apex 19 and Apex 16) back with the ups label that was sent vi email. She told me as soon as they got confirmation of the sent packages from ups 2 new units would be overnighted. I asked what about my VX card and was told to include that in one of the boxes and that a new one would be shipped as well. I asked about my Graph Glass on the units and was told no compensation for that. I really like the customer service Humminbird provides I just wish I didn't have to use it so often. Also called to order new Graph Glass from Precision Sonar and they took good care of me what a great company. Glad I called as one time the card went out in the fog and couldn't fish the shipping channel because of the freighter traffic. I now keep a back up card on the boat so I can keep fishing.

16. Member
    Find it hard to believe it just vx catd. I have older lake master plus that runs fine in my Solix gen 1's but not either Apex 13's. Know that is what they told you. Just letting others know

17. Member
    could it be a defective VX card? Looking at the lands on the card and wondering about the plating on these cheap China blank SD cards.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

Quote Originally Posted by scubatelco View Post
    could it be a defective VX card? Looking at the lands on the card and wondering about the plating on these cheap China blank SD cards.
    My SOLIX 10 G3 has the microSD readers and it won't read the Taiwan VX card in either slot.
    If I put the mircoSD card in the included SD adapter and put it in the SOLIX 12 G3, both readers work.
    If I put a Chart Select that is download to a SanDisk China microSD card the SOLIX 10 will read the Lakemaster mapping in either slot.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Reading through this thread everyone seems to be concerned about putting the VX chip into their unit and it working. I have an Apex 13 that will not read card, but knows it is in there, and it will ALSO not allow sharing of the maps from another Solix unit. Both of my Solix 10 G3 read the VX card fine and share it across network. The Apex knows when a VX chip is trying to be shared and shows the different chart links to Chart options, but it doesn't acknowledge the VX chip. It also stops recognizing the basemap that is part of the unit. Has anyone experienced this? I had to remove my Apex from Global settings for Charts and put my Lakemaster Plus V4 into the Apex to have mapping.

20. Member
    I think there must be a quality issue with these chips not interacting properly with a particular group of SD drives. Anyone with issues with this please report it to the HD. By email at least. New high dollar chips should be more trustworthy, not intermittant. Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast