Trailer tires and mph?

Two questions: for guys with Goodyear or Michelin tires now on your trailer do you trailer at 75 mph if that is the speed limit? For guys like myself that still have Loadstar tires, is there a speed that you won't go over for fear of tire failure due to speed? Thanks for any feedback. Steve
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

2. Member
    I've got Goodyear tires on my single axle but I don't go over 65, not because I'm concerned with tire failure but because for some reason I get a lot of sway, never had that issue with my old truck.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    No, there isn’t a speed concern for me with the Loadstar tires. The highest speed limit near to me is 70 mph, and with fuel conservation in mind, I only run 75 mph a couple of times per year. But I logged 20k miles on my last set of Loadstars without even significant tread wear [previous boat], and I expect the same kind of performance from my current ones. Heat buildup is the enemy of tires, so proper inflation is important. And if I ran hundreds of miles in 90+ degree weather, I might have a different perspective.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    No, there isn’t a speed concern for me with the Loadstar tires. The highest speed limit near to me is 70 mph, and with fuel conservation in mind, I only run 75 mph a couple of times per year. But I logged 20k miles on my last set of Loadstars without even significant tread wear [previous boat], and I expect the same kind of performance from my current ones. Heat buildup is the enemy of tires, so proper inflation is important. And if I ran hundreds of miles in 90+ degree weather, I might have a different perspective.
    I was down in Texas a couple weeks with my boat and there is a ton of 75 mph 2 Lane as well as 4 Lane.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yeah, I realize that western states [in particular] have higher speed limits. That said, when we run 65 mph to low 70s up here on I-75 it’s not going to make much difference in tire reliability or temperature from running 75-ish somewhere else. It’s all pretty much relative. Just a little higher mph occasionally is going to make a very small difference, at least in my opinion and experience. I’ve never towed a boat at 80+ mph, for very long distances, but back in the dim past we towed from Ohio through Chicago and up to Wisconsin 15-20 times, with single-axle trailers, in the middle of summer, and the old Marathon tires. Going around that Chicago toll road towing a boat is not for the faint-hearted, but we survived without a single tire failure. Dumb luck I’m sure.

6. Member
    Yeah, I realize that western states [in particular] have higher speed limits. That said, when we run 65 mph to low 70s up here on I-75 it’s not going to make much difference in tire reliability or temperature from running 75-ish somewhere else. It’s all pretty much relative. Just a little higher mph occasionally is going to make a very small difference, at least in my opinion and experience. I’ve never towed a boat at 80+ mph, for very long distances, but back in the dim past we towed from Ohio through Chicago and up to Wisconsin 15-20 times, with single-axle trailers, in the middle of summer, and the old Marathon tires. Going around that Chicago toll road towing a boat is not for the faint-hearted, but we survived without a single tire failure. Dumb luck I’m sure.
    Thanks John
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    To OP....yes....Defenders
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Yes, on the Interstate 75MPH is often the slowest I go.

9. Member
    I don’t know the brand of my tires, but they were upgraded with some wheels from Pro’s Choice when I bought my boat. I run 80-85 with no problems at all. Tread wear on these tires are great too. I have over 40k miles on these tires and they still have half their tread.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    To OP....yes....Defenders
    Same here.

11. Member
    Steve, The General Altimax RT43's I put on my trailer last year are T rated for speed which is up to 118. I would have no concerns pulling at 75-80 all day long. I usually pull 70-75 without issues. The loadstars on your trailer, that were on mine also, are M speed rated which is up to 81 mph.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It’s great to get such specific, detailed information, Bob. Thank you for researching and reporting. Try to keep it under 100, just the same.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Steve, The General Altimax RT43's I put on my trailer last year are T rated for speed which is up to 118. I would have no concerns pulling at 75-80 all day long. I usually pull 70-75 without issues. The loadstars on your trailer, that were on mine also, are M speed rated which is up to 81 mph.
    Great info Bob. What made you decide on the General Alitimax vs Goodyear or Michelin?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

14. Member
    It’s great to get such specific, detailed information, Bob. Thank you for researching and reporting. Try to keep it under 100, just the same.
    No promises John if I hear "the bite is on" somewhere

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Great info Bob. What made you decide on the General Alitimax vs Goodyear or Michelin?
    A couple factors played into my decision. Ranger used to factory install these tires on the 17" Challenger wheels (I believe that's what they're called) in the mid 20 tween year range. Also Basscat has used these tires for several years now and I've read on posts from them that they've experienced some of the lowest warranty issues on these of any tire they've used. Last thing for me was cost and availability - they were readily available nearby and a little cheaper than the Michelins which my dealer would have had to order. I was in need of tires at the time and didn't want to wait. I would have been perfectly happy with Michelins also but so far these have been great. Good luck!

16. Member
    A couple factors played into my decision. Ranger used to factory install these tires on the 17" Challenger wheels (I believe that's what they're called) in the mid 20 tween year range. Also Basscat has used these tires for several years now and I've read on posts from them that they've experienced some of the lowest warranty issues on these of any tire they've used. Last thing for me was cost and availability - they were readily available nearby and a little cheaper than the Michelins which my dealer would have had to order. I was in need of tires at the time and didn't want to wait. I would have been perfectly happy with Michelins also but so far these have been great. Good luck!
    Thanks Bob. See, there was a method to your madness
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

I have the goodyear endurance. I dont know what there max speed is, but I usually don't go over 70. That is the best cruising speed for my truck for gas mileage. I just make sure the tire pressure is what is recommended by the manufacturer. Never had any tire issues.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

18. Member
    The General Altimax RT43's I put on my trailer last year are T rated for speed which is up to 118.
    The Altimax is a great tire for sure

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons