Injectors not firing

I went to fire up the boat for the first time this spring and it won't start. 2006 225 optimal SN in my signature.

When I turn the key to on, I can hear the pumps kicking in. I actually took the VST apart and everything looks good. fuel bulb pumps fine and gets hard.

Fuel rail has fuel pressure and the pressure rebuilds itself after I've released it at the shrader valve so fuel pressure seems good. Compressor is making air pressure, checked at the Schrader valve, pressure rebuilds after releasing. did the spin by hand test on the compressor and it checks out ok.

Took the spark plugs out of a couple cylinders and they were bone dry and I don't have the smell of gas anywhere after trying to start. It really seems like the injectors are firing at all. What can I do to test thing? multi meter on the harness for one of the injectors?

Only thing I've done this spring is I had to change out my tilt/trim unit. I had to take off the lower Cowell to feed the wire up through and unplugged the main harness to gain access to the wires. Is it possible I unplugged something on accident? I tried to do some googling and read something about a purple wire but wasn't quite sure what it was referring to.

Lastly, I know the optimal is fussy on batteries. I tried 2 different fully charged batteries and still no luck.

Thanks in advance for your advice and troubleshooting steps!
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

Check the kill switch
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Kill switch is fine. I thought that too. Vesselview responded too when I would flip the kill switch as well as the beep at startup would go away when I pulled the kill switch and would come back when I replaced the lanyard and flip the switch back into position. My Vesselview also is not giving me any error messages when trying to start.

4. Member
    does engine have spark at plugs , checked ????? all fuses checked ???
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Checked spark with a test light, it was fine. Checked the 4 fuses inside the engine and all were good. are there other fuses?

6. Member
    Can I test one of the injector connectors with a meter? with someone turning the key for a second should I see 12v across it?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowedin3 View Post
    Only thing I've done this spring is I had to change out my tilt/trim unit. I had to take off the lower Cowell to feed the wire up through and unplugged the main harness to gain access to the wires. Is it possible I unplugged something on accident? I tried to do some googling and read something about a purple wire but wasn't quite sure what it was referring to.
    Go back over your work. If it ran before you made any changes and now it won't run it's most likely something didn't get reinstalled correctly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

8. Member
    Ok, so I guess this was a false Alarm and I was just scared to lean on the key too long to bring it out of Hibernation. She purrs like a V8 Now :)

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a note: MAY have been low battery voltage. Your battery may have enough juice to spin the starter but not enough to keep MPR closed and all of the "magic components" live.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor