Ceramic Coating - Magic or Marketing BS?

Someone school me on the Pros 7 COns of Ceramic Coating.

Seems good, but expensive as hell.

What ever happened to simple Turtle Wax?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

2. Member
    Let me throw this out there. Always had problems with mold on my ski boat kept at our dock (with a cover). 2 years ago had a guy come clean it and he suggested I try ceramic coating for the seating. However, it was expensive and he had not tried it yet but I thought what the heck. He came back several times to check on it and almost 2 years later no mold. So it did something well. What it will do for your boat surface I can't answer.

3. Member
    Better mouse trap = more money.
    I tried ceramic wax and followed the application instructions and liked what I saw.
    However, not worth the extra price for what you get.
    Better marketing = more money.

4. Member
    I have not done the professional expensive coating, but I did do the chemical guys ceramic coating on my boat and it turned out pretty awesome. Water would bead right off and the shine was crazy. Lasted a pretty decent time too.

5. Member
    I had mine waxed two years ago.

My son does the expensive ceramic on all his stuff. I run mine through car washes and don't hesitate to use it to haul stuff. He drives about 5,000 miles a year, but dang he looks good doing it.

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Professional ceramic coat
    Pros: it's good for many years, cleaning the car is super easy, after cleaning the car looks great, it looks like it just received a fresh coat of wax but without the hours of work required for a good wax job. It actually looks better than a good wax job.
    Cons: it's expensive. I think we spent $2K, which included the ppf film on the front bumper. Every scratch and chip really shows.

DIY ceramic coat. I tried the meguiars ceramic coating
    Pros: it works as advertised, looks good, easy to reapply, easier to maintain than wax.
    Cons, needs a pressure washer for reapplication, doesnt last any longer than wax. A professional wax job will look better than what I can do with DIY ceramic.
    Thanos was the hero

7. Member
    The expense comes in the labor involved to do a proper paint correction and prep prior to applying the coating. I have a 2020 F250. Black Crew Cab. Spent nearly 14 hours (alone) in cutting and polishing surfaces to remove swirl marks. Light scratches etc prior to coating with ceramic to get the best finish possible. Cleans up super easy. No need to wax yet will look pristine after being washed. Will I do it again? I dunno. It about ruined me dedicating a whole weekend to a coating that may last 2-7 years who knows. Time will tell. I did booger up the coating on the edge of a fender flare that isn’t very noticeable up close but where the coating “raised” from my poor application, it is extremely hard.

I cant speak for any super expensive coatings but I was watching a youtube channel called Project Farm and he did a controled experiment on the over the counter ceramic coatings and came up with Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Wax Coating as the most durable. I have used it myself and it is very nice and can be found in walmart or your local auto parts store.

9. Member
    I have no idea about the product you asked about. I use Mothers CMX from Walmart, $18 or so. A bottle lasts me about two years. I double coat the boat in the spring, apply a coat after 3 weeks on the water in Minnesota and then another touch up to the top cap about 90 days later. My boat is a 95 Viper and it shines as good as the day I picked it up from the factory. The best benefit, fishing brown water Kansas, is that scum line wipes off with a damp rag and bugs don't stick either. Initial coats should cure 24 hours between coats for a better bond. My truck gets the same treatment and gets a coat every oil change, takes an hour to do my 150. Truck and boat need to be very clean before applying the initial coats.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I have not done the professional expensive coating, but I did do the chemical guys ceramic coating on my boat and it turned out pretty awesome. Water would bead right off and the shine was crazy. Lasted a pretty decent time too.
    I had my boat ceramic coated about a year ago, not sure if it is worth the cost, I detailed my boat this past week, used the Chemical Guys ceramic detailer, that stuff is good, my buddy swears I hired someone to detail my boat for me.

11. Member
    Ceramics are a wear coating. You have to maintain it.
    Please release me,let me go.

12. Member
    Definitely not a scam. Even spray on DIY style SIO2 spray waxes have significantly increased lifespan vs traditional waxes and sealants.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I use it on my truck paint and windows. Also on the glass shower panels.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Cermaic Coat and Ceramic wax are two different things...
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

15. Member
    Has anyone tried the Slick Mist Ceramic. If so is it worth the extra $5.00.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    I use it on my truck paint and windows. Also on the glass shower panels.
    good idea Craig, the shower glass.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

17. Member
    I had my new boat Ceramic coated and it was actually amazing for about 6-8 months. Minimal water spots and was super clean looling at all times. After about 6 months, it wore off and not worth the money in my opinion. Im very particular about my boat and wipe it down after EVERY use and vacuum the carpet. There was even a special spray you had to use rather than say boat bling to prevent it from wearing too soon. It was awesome for the 6 months or so but definately not worth 1200 bucks or so to have it done. The dealership paid for it to be done on my boat, when i purchased it, so i cant tell you which one it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brett87tex View Post
    I had my new boat Ceramic coated and it was actually amazing for about 6-8 months. Minimal water spots and was super clean looling at all times. After about 6 months, it wore off and not worth the money in my opinion. Im very particular about my boat and wipe it down after EVERY use and vacuum the carpet. There was even a special spray you had to use rather than say boat bling to prevent it from wearing too soon. It was awesome for the 6 months or so but definately not worth 1200 bucks or so to have it done. The dealership paid for it to be done on my boat, when i purchased it, so i cant tell you which one it.
    Guessing they just used a regular ceramic infused quick wax if they were vague about details
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package