Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EFI ECM HELP PLEASE.

Hello everyone. I am in need of assistance. I have a 2000 225 LEFI, it is a 3L, sn-0T054491. Story short version, customer knocked a board over in my shop ' the board hit the wall plug my boat was plugged into and shorted things out. I am sick about it because I got it a few months ago, 1 owner, extremely low hours (130 lbs compression on all 6) never a bolt turned on it. Any way I am now looking for ignition ecm and fuel ecm., and after searching I am not sure what will or will not work on my motor. My mechanic said mercury only used these ecms for 3 yrs and said it is basically an xb and to find some 300 ecm's, idk. All the ones I find, the numbers are slightly different so I am unsure of match. I really don't care if they are for a 225,250, or 300 as long as they work and are plug and play. My stock ecm #'s are, IGN ECM 830044 17 (PI92420701) FUEL ECM 830046 12 (PF92420701) Thank you in advance for the help.
    Last edited by FUN CHASER; 03-03-2023 at 06:30 AM.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

2. Member
    GOT UM BOTH on 2002 250 xb stock no modifications to either
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Buy these. ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

4. Member
    How much sir ?
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    How much sir ?
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

6. Member
    5 hunid (500) each plus shipping , rather you brought boat i install and lake test with you, itll be FUN
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Gotta ask, was this the battery charger power wire the board hit? And how did that cause ecm failures? Are you absolutely sure those ecm's are bad?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

8. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ +1 , better be sure

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +2.... There's a fuse that should have failed in an effort to protect them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    Gotta ask, was this the battery charger power wire the board hit? And how did that cause ecm failures? Are you absolutely sure those ecm's are bad?
    Makes no sense to me! Can not see how this would have caused electrical issues on the motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    This is why I wanted to ask you guys on this forum, I know thru your expertise I will be lead in the right direction. I guess I should have given all of the details in first post. So here goes. Prior to this incident the motor performed flawless. When it happened yes it was the on board battery charger that was plugged into the wall, I do upholstery and work long days and had not yet put a shutoff and bus bar on the boat. When I took it to the lake and put it in the water about the time I got out of the no wake zone, I noticed a slight miss, I thought I had googen bad gas because I put 25 gallons in on the way to the lake at a place I never get fuel, so I didn't think too much about it when it had a hard time planning out and didn't want to run right, I went about a mile to my first planned stop to fish. When I went to move to another area it was still not right so I shut it down pulled the hood and found the plug that connects the main harness to the injector harness was fried, the blue wire completely and the red one partially. So I used the trolling motor back to the ramp, used big motor to load. Got it home , looked for other burnt wires and fuses and found none. I pulled the injector harness and injectors, ptched the harness just to test, got fire thru each wire , I then checked the injectors and they are opening and closing ( my plan is once I figure out exactly everything is to send the injectors to be checked and of course new harness). All coils are firing. When I tried to start it again it won't fire up and fuel is dumping out of the exhaust so I assumed stator and or fuel ecm. Called my mechanic(rebuild guy) he said bring it in to plug into computor to see what all was going on, i told him i didnt think it could be plugged in and sent him pics of the motor and he agreed and said one or both of the ecms are probably fried, gave me the number to simoms in cali to see if they could check and or rebuid them. I pulled the ecms yesterday and the gel is lumped up in a couple of spots, so (probably out of ignorance) i assumed they were damaged also. Thank you again for all responses and direction. I absolutely hate that this happened to this motor and hoping to get it back running .
    Last edited by FUN CHASER; 03-03-2023 at 12:47 PM.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

First thing I would do is disconect everything from batteries except the charger, The see if the charger still works. I doubt this was the cause of this problem, also check voltage at the batteries while charging (max of 14.6 volts)
    I would also find another tech to have this checked out, this is no DYIY job.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    PM sent.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

14. Member
    Can you post some pics of what you are describing?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

15. Member
    as well as complete electrical system for this engine

16. Member
    Update, flooding issue. Motor seems to be flooding itself out. Will run for a few seconds then dies, fuel poring out of exhaust. Yesterday when I had a few minutes I squeezed the primer bulb which would not harden up, I could hear fuel moving thru the engine somewhere, I then discovered fuel flowing out of a small hole in the plenum on the port side, beside lower butterfly. I pulled the float to see if it was cracked, found no cracks or any fuel inside of it. I cleaned fuel pump and pressure regulator screens, and replaced fuel water seperator. Now when key switch is turned on and fuel pump runs fuel is still flowing out of the same place. Where do i look for from here ? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by FUN CHASER; 03-07-2023 at 09:46 AM.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You likely have two, possibly THREE separate problems that can all result in a rich-running engine:

1. VST Needle/float problem (VST is overflowing, which dumps to the small brass fitting and runs down the back of the intake)

2. Melted wiring you described indicates there is likely a short (pinched wires) inside the Fuel Management assembly.

3. Check fuel pressure at KEY ON and then at 15, 30 and 60 seconds after turning key OFF. If pressure is dropping substantially, you have a fuel leak as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You likely have two, possibly THREE separate problems that can all result in a rich-running engine:

1. VST Needle/float problem (VST is overflowing, which dumps to the small brass fitting and runs down the back of the intake)

2. Melted wiring you described indicates there is likely a short (pinched wires) inside the Fuel Management assembly.

3. Check fuel pressure at KEY ON and then at 15, 30 and 60 seconds after turning key OFF. If pressure is dropping substantially, you have a fuel leak as well.
    Thank you sir.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

19. Member
    Do you have a wiring harness ?
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

20. Member
    yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast