Thread: Z21 rail system

Z21 rail system

I am looking at a ranger Z21 how do the rail systems hold up? Is there any known problems with them or things to be careful of? Thanks

2. Member
    Had a 07 Z21 with the rails. Loved it and wished they still had it. Running a 521L now and still prefer the rails. Never had any issues with mine.

Ran an 07 Z21 for 9 years. Keep those rails lubed and clean, and they won’t give you any issues. You’ll never trip on them and mine were completely dry.

'09 Z20. Had an issue with one latch about 5-6 years ago. Had to remove the rail to re-seat one latch. Other than that pretty flawless. Never let in a drop. Compartments stay dry. 13 years, still going.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

5. Member
    Have an 07 Z19 with the rails. No problems at all.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

6. Member
    2005 Z21 with no issues
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

Z19 rails pretty much no problems at all

8. Member
    2006 Z21 - I personally didn’t like the rails, I now have a Ranger with the Perko latches to which I much prefer. My problems with the rails is they would stick on opening and were difficult to close… would take Very heavy pressure to close sometimes I would have to stand on the lids in order to get them to lock. On hot summer days they would be too hot to stand on in bare feet. I complained about the rails on every dealer service and was always told they were clean and lube and would break in soon. I’ve since sold the boat and I’m currently on my fifth Ranger boat, with the last two having Perko latches. You can see from your research, Ranger Boats only used the rail system for a few years before going back to the Perko style latches. My two cents and personal preference only.

9. Member
    Love the rails on my 08 Ranger Z20 and wish they still used them. The trick is to close the lids and press down on the lid where the latch is located and they close solidly everytime. I also put little arrows next to each latch with a labelmaker pointing to the compartment each latch opens. Otherwise people often open the wrong latch for the compartment they want. Never had any leaks despite taking lots of waves over the bow fishing big water.
    ciao,
    Marc

10. Member
    05 Z21 with rails. I don't mind the rails, but also prefer the normal latches.

Pros: No tripping hazards on the deck; clean look to the deck; never had an issue with the rails being too hot on my feet, grey rail paint seems to work just as intended
    Cons: Hard to close and/or open sometimes; half of my locks don't function due to a plastic part in the lock mechanism; still find myself opening the wrong compartment sometimes

Overall I certainly wouldn't let the rails keep me from purchasing a boat, but if I had the choice I'd get the normal Perko latches (or i really prefer the newer slam style latches I keep seeing on some other boats)
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250