Ionic batteries first trip question...only one discharged???

So I made my maiden voyage today with my 3 new Ionic batteries. It's a 36v setup going to an Ultrex. All 3 are 100ah.

The batteries were all charged to full capacity and by the trip start they showed 97% for all 3. It wasn't too windy so by mid morning I checked them with the Ionic program and batteries 1 and 2 showed 97% still. Battery 3 showed 70%.

At the end of the trip, 1 and 2 show 97% and 98%, battery 3 showed 67%??? It seems the 2 did not lose any charge. After I hooked up the new batteries I checked the voltage at the TM and it showed 39 volts.I also double checked it again today and it is 39 volts going into the TM. BTW my older AGM cranking battery showed 12.79 volts after the trip.

The percentage data is from the Ionic BT program, but my multimeter shows:

Battery 1 13.32v
    Battery 2 13.32v
    Battery 3 13.19v

after trip readings

Any idea what's going on?
    Last edited by bass806; 02-25-2023 at 07:16 PM.

2. Member
    Are they all in the same location? Or is one separate. Something doesn’t sound correct. I would think fully charged you would see 100% give or take one %. How are they charged? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    You got a power pole charge?
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

4. Member
    No onboard charging system, just the alternator. It's on a 2018 Ranger 520c. I used the factory wiring diagram, just like it was hooked up before. It does have the factory switch that allows you to jump start from one to start it if needed.

5. Member
    It sounds to me like you don't have your batteries or your charger hooked up correctly.

I'd call Andy at Drewtech, assume that's where you got the Ionic's, and he'll walk with you getting it right.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    You stated no on board charging system, just the alternator, the alternator only charges the cranking battery and a 2018 ranger would have come from the factory with a dual pro ps4 delta volt charger unless it was ordered with out or with something else
    If indeed it has a factory ps4 and has not be sent back to dual pro for reprogramming it is not compatible with Ionic lithium batteries and will not properly charge.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    I guess you guys are misunderstanding. The batteries are charging fine, I took the old Dual Pro out and went with a Noco 4 bank that works fine. The 3 Ionic batteries did not discharge the same during the fishing trip. I have not charged them after the trip yet. It's a difference in the state of charge of the batteries after use. Please reread my post and let me know if that makes sense now.
    Thanks to all who are trying to sort it out.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    OK it takes about 3 to 5 cycles for the cells to completely balance and for the app to sync with the BMS,

Also do you have the noco charger on the AGM setting?
    Ionic recommends using the AGM setting rather than the lithium setting
    You mentioned 97%
    Was this after sitting for a long time?
    They should be at 99/100 % hot off the charger

As for the difference in the % I would go ahead and swap the position or 2 or the batteries and see if the issue follows the battery
    If you run them down a couple of times and charge on the AGM setting it should work it self out
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    They sat for 2 weeks only...went from 100 to 97. I will set it to AGM...didn't know that. Thanks!!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    You stated no on board charging system, just the alternator, the alternator only charges the cranking battery and a 2018 ranger would have come from the factory with a dual pro ps4 delta volt charger unless it was ordered with out or with something else
    If indeed it has a factory ps4 and has not be sent back to dual pro for reprogramming it is not compatible with Ionic lithium batteries and will not properly charge.
    I am trying to better understand what I refer to as battery charging madness. So many different opinions.

What is it about the Dual Pro PS4 Delta volt charger that makes it unsuitable for Ionic's lithium batteries?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    OK it takes about 3 to 5 cycles for the cells to completely balance and for the app to sync with the BMS,

Also do you have the noco charger on the AGM setting?
    Ionic recommends using the AGM setting rather than the lithium setting
    You mentioned 97%
    Was this after sitting for a long time?
    They should be at 99/100 % hot off the charger

As for the difference in the % I would go ahead and swap the position or 2 or the batteries and see if the issue follows the battery
    If you run them down a couple of times and charge on the AGM setting it should work it self out
    I bought a noco charger also. So when I set it up I need to put it on AGM?

12. Member
    Yes

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I am trying to better understand what I refer to as battery charging madness. So many different opinions.

What is it about the Dual Pro PS4 Delta volt charger that makes it unsuitable for Ionic's lithium batteries?
    the PS4 will do 2 things depending on the SOC of the battery, one it may appear to charge , the charger will go to 100% and cut off but the batteries will be at 75 to 80%
    the other thing it will do if you catch it in a different ant stage it will put out about 15+ volts causing the BMS to shut down, the charger will stop charging, the battery will turn back on and the process will repeat cycling the BMS on and off.
    this will damage the BMS after repeated use and it will stop taking charge even at lower voltages
    I have a stack of K2 Energy 48ah batteries all damaged by a DualPro Delta volt that was not reprogramed , now they can only be charged with a 1 amp charger to keep the BMS from shutting down

IM a DualPro dealer and sell many of the new lithium versions but I would not recommend the delta volt for any brand unless it has be reprogramed
    info@drewcraft.com