Thread: Combat sticks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Combat sticks

Anyone have experience with the Evergreen Combat sticks? The hook up tackle has a promotion going on with them currently
    Red Sox in 6!

2. Member
    I own a large variety of different Evergreen International bass, light game, and saltwater rods along with several Evergreen USA casting rod models.

Fundamentally are you asking about the whole Evergreen USA Combat Stick series, a specific rod with this series, the add-on Lucky Box of Hide Up/Sawamura soft plastic lures, or all of the above?

As a general aside, there are also many Evergreen International rod series which bear the appellation "Combat Stick" so it's fortunate that you denoted the current deal going on from Ben and the folks at THUT for the Evergreen USA Combat Sticks as opposed to a rod from one of the JDM rod series as all of them are entirely different animals than the one you are referring to depending on which specific rod model you are seeking more information about.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Yes the ones offered at HUT for $199.00.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    The Evergreen USA Combat Stick represents a cost-efficient solution for the US market that is designed with "US tapers" and the standout rod for me in this rod model series has been the 7'3" HG heavy powered glass "Jackhammer" casting rod which debuted along with the collaborative Z-Man/Evergreen Jackhammer chatterbait lure. As is typical for 99% of fiberglass casting rods I have used, the casting motion is buttery smooth and effortlessly casts the Jackhammer lure it was designed to present. Further, as is typical with 99% of fiberglass casting rods I have used, felt sensitivity is not a strong suit of this specific rod, it's truly meant for presenting the Jackhammer and my lure retrieve style is based upon Brett Hite's suggestion, I let the lure sink to whatever water depth is appropriate for my use, and start reeling the lure in on a steady retrieve starting with a slower retrieve and working up to faster retrieves to see what the fish want on a given day of fishing.

Evergreen USA Combat Stick Jackhammer Rod Pros
    I truly enjoy using the Jackhammer and for several years there was no better casting rod for presenting this seminal lure than the Evergreen USA Combat stick Jackhammer rod. Please note that for my smallmouth bass fishing purposes, the relatively new Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Dire Wolf Wild 7 RS casting rod has supplanted the humble Jackhammer rod as my preferred rod for presenting the Jackhammer lure, but it also costs three times more than the Jackhammer rod.

The taper of the Jackhammer rod lends itself to using the Jackhammer chatterbait lure since they were essentially designed to work together, this is a common theme in JDM fishing tackle where a tackle manufacturer will create an entire ecosystem of rods and lures to be used together as a foundational perspective instead of using a less holistic approach and just simply works.

Evergreen USA Combat Stick Jackhammer Rod Cons
    The two key areas of the "Jackhammer" rod that I do not like are the use of the cheaper EVA foam handles, since I own many of the higher tier Evergreen International Orion rods which all use a much better grade of EVA foam handles and the best EVA foam handles can be found on the top tier Evergreen International Kaleido Inspirare, GT, GT-R, and GT-X rod models. Those EVA handles are simply of a better quality and have endured several seasons of hard use with no issues. The EVA foam handles on the Evergreen US Combat Sticks are appropriate for their cost-efficient nature.

The second area of the Evergreen USA Combat Sticks that I would prefer to be changed in future iterations is to stop using the Fuji ACS reel seats and to start using Fuji ECS reel seats, certainly this is primarily a personal preference; but I have found after extensive use on the water, that the ECS reel seat is much more comfortable for me and the way I palm/hold my casting reels.

In summary, I highly recommend the Evergreen USA Combat Stick Jackhammer rod since it's a fantastic rod for its designated purpose, e.g., please do not try to use this rod for bottom contact fishing as it will be a monumental disaster. Perhaps in a pinch, I might try to use it as a spinnerbait or large deep diving crankbait rod but its state purpose is to be used in conjunction with the Jackhammer and it excels at this specific function!

On a side note, as someone who fishes almost exclusively with JDM fishing tackle, this deal from THUT is a great way to purchase a good rod and dip your toe into the world of JDM soft plastics with two of the best JDM soft plastics manufacturers in the world: Hide Up and Sawamura (the originators of the paddle tail style swimbait).

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

The 7'2" mh (moving baits/shower blows) is a stud for bigger topwater and moving single hook baits.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

6. Member
    I have two Jackhammer rods, I like to throw 1/2 and 3/8oz on glass around spares vegetation. I also have a 7'2" shower blows rod and it's a fantastic topwater, will be trying it for rattle traps this spring. I don't mind the foam grips on moving bait rods and the camo is kinda cool. Build quality is very good for a $199.99 rod. Throw a new Zillion on there and you'll look like B Hite.

7. Member
    The price is still $199 but they are out of the $200 bonus of JDM so will hold off. Don’t really need a rod just figured with that deal I’d try one.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Life is short. Ordered the 7’2” showerblow/moving baits rod.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    Lol nice
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    Hemmed and hawed and Wife said “Just order the rod” .
    Red Sox in 6!

11. Member

12. Member
    Now I need a reel!
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Rod has arrived and feels great. The promotional products are interesting,some I can’t see using and honestly had to Google them to see how to fish them.
    Red Sox in 6!

14. Member
    Zillion 7.1, 30 lb braid and roll.

15. Member
    Anyone have the actual rod weight for the new jackhammer combat stick rod? Thanks all!

16. Member
    I have a new redesigned Combat Stick inbound...the 7'7" MH Mod-Fast listed for Shower Blows and moving baits. I'll list the rod weight on this post once it arrives.

I'm interested to see the overall fit and finish versus my JDM Evergreen rods, as well as the blank/taper performance versus other rods in the $200-$250 price range.

17. Member
    The Evergreen RCTC 7'7" MH arrived today. It scales in at 5.14 oz versus 4.26 on my ~ 15 year old Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MH Fast, granted it is rated with higher lure ratings and has lower modulus graphite throughout. The fit and finish is much better and very clean on the entire rod, no excess epoxy, straight guides, impeccable overall for this price range. It is mod-fast and leaning more towards faster than my custom 2010 MHX CB907, and preliminary feels a bit also slightly less powerful in the backbone. The overall balance is much better versus my Phenix and balances about 1" in front of the metal ring on the locking foregrip. Also, the Fuji tangle free Alconites on this rod easily passes 30lb PP SS V2 connected to 17lb Sunline fluoro with an improved Alberto knot. The weight of the 2019 Morethan PE XH that I'm paring to this rod is 7.10 oz and I would recommend a reel in that weight range to balance out the length of this rod model.

BTW, balance point is with the 2019 Morethan PE on it, fully spooled and with a longer 112mm handle.

Keep an eye on Amazon. I just got another shower blows rod for 93
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

19. Member
    Chris,I would definitely get another one of those rods
    Red Sox in 6!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webertime View Post
    Keep an eye on Amazon. I just got another shower blows rod for 93
    Is this Gen 1 or the refreshed Gen II?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast