swim bait question

I don't have much luck with them on my lake and the question is this, I always rigged it on a belly weight. Recently I rigged one on my worm rod which had texas rig. Bullet sinker on the front. Caught a couple. Do you think it matters and why do most use the belly weight ?

I rarely use belly weights unless its a magdraft
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

3. Member
    Caught some fishing it Texas rigged. 8/0 beast hook with a 6” trash fish has been the best producer for me.

4. Member
    In the spring I fish a 5" a lot, trig 5/16 weight and pitch it to laydowns and brush up shallow.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZ View Post
    I don't have much luck with them on my lake and the question is this, I always rigged it on a belly weight. Recently I rigged one on my worm rod which had texas rig. Bullet sinker on the front. Caught a couple. Do you think it matters and why do most use the belly weight ?
    As long as it looks like it is running straight, why would it matter? I've caught them both ways that you have mentioned as well as several other ways (jig head, football head, etc.). You just need to rig it in a manner that gets it down to the depth that you want it and in a way that is most conducive to coming through whatever cover you are fish'n without hanging up.

A belly weighted hook helps to "center" the weight and keep it swimming parallel to the bottom as opposed to nose down but most people fish a swimbait at a pretty good clip and it will swim parallel regardless of rigging method. I fish a Kietech a lot on a Carolina Rig out on the ledges and I also fish it on a 3/4 ounce football head with a brush guard in place. I just take the skirt off of a regular football jig and thread a Kietech on the hook and I have caught a bunch of big fish dragging that thing around on shells and other hard spots. The fish get on deep Bluegill beds around here during the full moon of May and June and I catch a lot of those fish on a green pumpkin Kietech with some chartreuse dye accents fished on either a C-rig or the football had that I mentioned.
    Last edited by Philly; 02-15-2023 at 09:23 AM.

6. Member
    I usually only throw a belly weight if I'm throwing one with an underspin.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have great success with a belly weighted swim bait in Ontario but struggle to have success on Smith Mountain Lake yet I see others here who have success so I am missing something with my technique in Virginia.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Sometimes an external weight at the nose limits the head shake action a bit.

9. Member
    I fish shallow grass with a death grip 1/4 oz bullet hook with a weed guard like a jig would have. Eye is straight with the bullet shaped weight. Comes through the grass amazingly well.

Put my swim baits on a jig hook.

thank you all for your replies.

12. Member
    I am by no means an expert, but the belly weighted hooks help me pull swimbaits through the weeds. Aside from that, my swimbait luck is really hit and miss.