Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    look good as long as you like red carpet :)
    I had red carpet on a Stratos. NEVER again. No use for tan carpet either. I like grey or charcoal.

2. Member
    Ultimately, the future for boating pricing is a big question mark.

However, there hasn't been a day that has passed since boats were sold that the majority of people didn't think new boat prices were outrageously high.

Looking at every other type of boat that exists from Pontoons, Tow Boats, Center Consoles, Etc they are all priced much higher than our bass boats.

Therefore, is the problem the manufacturing companies or with our expectations. Hard to say....

Naturally, rebates and deals are coming into play as the equilibrium for supply and demand has shifted left. But, when it shifts right again, pricing will rise as it has for the last couple decades.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Walk into a bass boat dealer today and I bet that isn't the case at all at a majority. I am by my dealer's place almost weekly since they are a big tackle dealer too.

They continue to sell a ton of 20-21' decked out boats at light speed. Nothing is slowing down. The 17-18' models sit on showroom floor a whole lot longer.

What we all fail to realize is that a lot of people made more money and got raises during the past 3 years. Not everyone is hurting. I also don't fall for the BS that a little $300-400 monthly stimulus check for 6-12 months suddenly let everyone go buy a new boat either. That's not even realistic considering a boat loan is a bit harder to qualify for.
    That sort of proves my point. People dont want the smaller rigs. Just because that big dealer is moving boats doesnt mean thats the consensus. They move a lot of pro staff and pro boats to that add to the movement. I agree with others that new big boats have always been expensive but i do think the perception is changing. People used to be much more inclined to go get that smaller rig but now that doesnt seem to be the case. It seems like people would rather just give up if they cant get the big time stuff

..having anything left for upgrades could mean anywhere between $2K to $40K for tournament level boat accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    The market is CRAZY RIDICULOUS.....20 year old boats selling for anywhere from 10-20k. I toyed with the idea of selling my 2021 z21 to lose the monthly boat payment and use the money I'd make to buy another rig but I would barely have anything left for upgrades, electronic changes, etc....guess I'll keep my rig.
    I doubt prices will drop much. Manufacturers will either close their doors before making significant price cuts, or scale back catering to the wealthy. I doubt profit margins are as much as many think. Take a tour watching boats being built. It's extremely manually labor intensive, in a harsh work environment, no where near as refined as the automobile industry with robotics for example. Take a look around at all their overhead. Their material costs have spiraled up. 10 years from now pro level tourney rigs will be approaching $200K. Buy them now while they're cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Said it here a 100 times...banks stop cutting 20-30 year notes, prices will come down.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    As long as new boats are priced high the used market will follow. And as new boat sales drop due to high prices, buyers will look to the used market and this will also drive up the used market.
    ..and I confess I have said boats weren't a good investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    The NADA on my 09 ranger is more than I paid for it now. Would cost more than double to replace it.

I bought a new 18' Hydrasport 175HP in 1992 for $18K. Using an inflation calculator, $18K in '92 is equivalent to $38K in 2023. Today a comparable new 18' Nitro with a 175 is $42K, only $4K higher in comparable $s with better 4S engine, trolling motor, and hydraulic steering.

My new '92 Hydrasport was pro tournament level at the time. Today's pro tournament level boat is a different animal all together. Comparing the two is like comparing a '92 Geo Prizm to a '23 Corvette.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    ..having anything left for upgrades could mean anywhere between $2K to $40K for tournament level boat accessories.

I doubt prices will drop much. Manufacturers will either close their doors before making significant price cuts, or scale back catering to the wealthy. I doubt profit margins are as much as many think. Take a tour watching boats being built. It's extremely manually labor intensive, in a harsh work environment, no where near as refined as the automobile industry with robotics for example. Take a look around at all their overhead. Their material costs have spiraled up. 10 years from now pro level tourney rigs will be approaching $200K. Buy them now while they're cheap.

This.

..and I confess I have said boats weren't a good investment.

I bought a new 18' Hydrasport 175HP in 1992 for $18K. Using an inflation calculator, $18K in '92 is equivalent to $38K in 2023. Today a comparable new 18' Nitro with a 175 is $42K, only $4K higher in comparable $s with better 4S engine, trolling motor, and hydraulic steering.

My new '92 Hydrasport was pro tournament level at the time. Today's pro tournament level boat is a different animal all together. Comparing the two is like comparing a '92 Geo Prizm to a '23 Corvette.
    Get this logic out of BBC lol
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Wouldn't bother me one bit. All I care about is showing up with 5 big ones in the well and winning! Could care less about what others think I look like in that boat.
    I agree except....that livewell wont hold 3 good ones let alone 5!
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    We all have wants we can’t afford…Hell…I want a 60 foot Viking. the reality is I have a nearly 7 year old bass boat. That’s what I can afford.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on pricing. I have never seen them go down since my first bass boat, and highly doubt they will, If anything they will get more expensive.

Manufacturers either pay for or conduct their own demographics studies of their target market. They know very well the income ranges and buying habits of perspective types of boat purchasers.
    Out of curiosity I wonder what the out the door price would be if everything on the boat to include motors, graphs, anything else was priced at the cost it took to make each item without the markups included. This would include labor, materials, incidentals, yada....yada....?

8. Member
    Have a 2021 Bass Cat. See the same year make and model advertised for 8 and 9 k over what I paid in 2021. Guess guys are adding in all the ad-ons they did after the got the boat. Banks are only going to finance a certain percentage of book value.

I will take 60k for my 2021 Sabre FTD SP. Added gamin livescope and a pair of raptors. So 60k gets it :)

9. Member
    Out of curiosity I wonder what the out the door price would be if everything on the boat to include motors, graphs, anything else was priced at the cost it took to make each item without the markups included. This would include labor, materials, incidentals, yada....yada....?
    I can't imagine these manufacturers are making a killing profit margin wise on the sales of these boats. I think its sort of in the independent rod manufacturing sort of category, just scaled way up. Big enough to make some decent income and run a sustainable business, but not so profitable (or scalable) that giant corporations are dying to jump into the business.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    In 1996 I bought a 1993 BassCat PII with a Yamaha 200 and paid cash, yes CASH total $12,500.00. Now some upgrades to electronics also TM and the biggest was a New pre-covid 200 SHO along with carpet, rub rail and interior several years ago. I wonder if I could get my initial investment back?
    Easily get your initial $12,500

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I can't imagine these manufacturers are making a killing profit margin wise on the sales of these boats. I think its sort of in the independent rod manufacturing sort of category, just scaled way up. Big enough to make some decent income and run a sustainable business, but not so profitable (or scalable) that giant corporations are dying to jump into the business.
    Who knows, why I asked?

Maybe a graph only costs $500 to make
    a trolling motor $1000
    main engine $4000
    Boat shell $3000
    combined misc. $10,000

Total $17,500? Again just speculation but curious what the real figures look like?

12. Member
    Who knows, why I asked?

a trolling motor $1000
    main engine $4000
    Boat shell $3000
    combined misc. $10,000

Total $17,500? Again just speculation but curious what the real figures look like?
    It's a tough question to answer, and only guys like Rick Pierce likely would be able to answer. While the raw materials aren't going to be that expensive, the costs of tooling and molds, facilities, labor, R+D are going to be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    As always, it’s the bottom budgets that are getting cut out. There has always been an old boat market between $5-10K. They weren’t for everyone, but they were running and fishing for those that had little money, probably didn’t want or couldn’t get a loan. Just wanted a bass boat to fish out of. That market doesn’t exist any more at any age of boat.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/275256246246938/

Literally an entire forum of bass boats for sale under $10k to get people on the water to simply fish. Lots of nice older rigs on there all the time.

14. Member
    Sold my 2007 Ranger Z19 the end of Nov for $36,000. But it was a very clean, well maintained boat. With a new Merc 225 4-stroke motor on the back with 4 yrs remaining on warranties. Took 2 days to sell. Guy drove down from Indiana and picked it up.

My old 2002 Skeeter ZX250 is worth more now than when I sold it in 2010. My 2000 Ranger is worth more now than what I paid for it 4 years ago.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/275256246246938/

Literally an entire forum of bass boats for sale under $10k to get people on the water to simply fish. Lots of nice older rigs on there all the time.
    Saw that and like his simple rules or "Bye"

Saw that and like his simple rules or "Bye"
    Yup, good group with no bs. Lots of 90's model Rangers on there in good shape for decent prices.

Who knows, why I asked?

a trolling motor $1000
    main engine $4000
    Boat shell $3000
    combined misc. $10,000

I bet the graphs are way less. Look at the price of computers. There is an absurd amount of markup on those.

19. Member
    Nothing against bass boats but if I were to spend $100,000 on a boat I’m no longer looking in that direction. Remember at the end of the day a product is only worth what 2 parties are willing to come to an agreement on. No matter what one person thinks or what it costs to come to market.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    According to the BPS flyer that arrived in my mailbox today I can buy a brand new Z19 with a 200 hp Mercury for $47,995 plus freight and prep. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast