Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you know how to Merge?

I dont feel like this is a difficult skill for drivers to learn, apparently safe and efficient merging has not been taught to 75% of drivers on the road today. That being said I would like to thank the 25% that merge correctly and make everyone's daily drive just a little better.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    Merging in Maryland was mind blowing. We were driving on the Potomac last June and apparently the merging tapers down there is just a suggestion and once the merging lane ends the shoulder just becomes an auxiliary driving lane to let to skip everyone until they see an opening to cut in.. Driving through Baltimore and DC areas were nothing less than anxiety attacks and praying that the people in front of you don’t do anything stupid.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 01-27-2023 at 07:02 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    It's not a hard thing to do, just head down the merge lane slam on your brakes and come to a complete stop before closing your eyes and pulling into traffic flow.

4. Member
    Only thing worse is a roundabout

5. Member
    The only thing worse than an overly-aggressive merger is the meek, or careful, person who is reluctant to merge. Frequently, the 35 mph ramp speed affects this.

6. Member
    I agree 100%. It's not that difficult but it does seem that no one knows how to do this. I was driving on the highway recently when the car in front of me decided to slam on their brakes at 60 miles per hour and come to a complete stop to allow a vehicle to merge in front of them. I was able to get stopped but I closed my eyes and prayed that the car behind me could stop as well.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Merging in Maryland was mind blowing. We were driving on the Potomac last June and apparently the merging tapers down there is just a suggestion and once the merging lane ends the shoulder just becomes an auxiliary driving lane to let to skip everyone until they see an opening to cut in.. Driving through Baltimore and DC areas were nothing less than anxiety attacks and praying that the people in front of you don’t do anything stupid.
    Yep towing a boat thru DC or Baltimore is no fun at all

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I don't think 98% of the people know what that means anywhere ...lol or proper speed limit and what lane they should be in
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member
    When I am merging onto a highway, I switch my f150 into sport mode just in case the idiot in front of me doesn't know what the hell they are doing. About half way down the ramp, you have a pretty good idea as to what kind of merger they are. Given that it is safe, I will merge all the way to the middle lane before they are even off the entrance lane. Its not hard to look into a mirror and judge the traffic speed and the speed you need to merge. I have a 6 year old son that knows more about driving than most 16-20 year olds. And out of the road, he has never sat in the front seat. He has driven my trucks across the fields a few times. He did great and was very responsible. Oh by the way, he doesn't have a cell phone that his nose is stuck into. I am a firm believer that this is why we have so many drivers that can't follow traffic laws and understand driving situations. Instead those dancing videos on tic tok are more important.

10. Member
    Not to hijack but slow left lane drivers on the interstate too. Thought it was redneck Alabama drivers until I drove down I95 to Fort Lauderdale Fl. They are freaking everywhere!

What helps me is I knowing is that I have the right of way at all times because I’m driving a Ram and towing a Ranger.

I just love entering a highway in the merge lane watching the oncoming traffic, getting on it, ready to enter your spot only to look up and see the car in front of you is stopped in merge lane!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasj View Post
    I agree 100%. It's not that difficult but it does seem that no one knows how to do this. I was driving on the highway recently when the car in front of me decided to slam on their brakes at 60 miles per hour and come to a complete stop to allow a vehicle to merge in front of them. I was able to get stopped but I closed my eyes and prayed that the car behind me could stop as well.
    We have a similar "problem" in Maine where a lot of people try to be courteous and helpful to merging traffic. A majority of Mainers will move into the left lane for you if they can but if they can't, they slow down and sit in your blind spot until you run out of merge lane. Too bad there isn't some sort of a sign they can use to tell you what they're doing.

South of here you find a lot more drivers acting like it's Mario or GTA time on the highway, rubbing bumpers at 80 MPH.

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Did you do it with a boat on the back, makes it extra fun....

Not sure where people got the idea that driving beside someone is merging.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

15. Member
    The sign should be change to: "Force your way in" ! Merge was not included in the driving test anymore.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I just love entering a highway in the merge lane watching the oncoming traffic, getting on it, ready to enter your spot only to look up and see the car in front of you is stopped in merge lane!!!
    That IS annoying but sometimes it's no one's fault. Maybe they were too timid or scared to merge but they also might have just run into a line of cars that's bumper to bumper and getting ready to exit.

We have only one cloverleaf in Bangor but it's pretty intimidating for new drivers or folks that live in a town of 200 people and don't normally see so much as a traffic light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Only thing worse is a roundabout
    Yep, and different rules
    ....if in the round road, who truly has the "right of
    Way" there some that has yeild signs for those in the round road....,others the yeild is for in bound.

18. Member
    For extra fun, come to the DC area when it's snowing.

19. Member
    Yeah hammer down!

people trying to get ahead that is all it is. Had a woman try to sneak around me in my truck mergeing on to I-10, her windows were down, mine too. I got called an ahole cause I did not let her cut.

Had a guy follow me home for the same reason. funny thing is I know where he lived.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast