Thread: 520 to 519

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

520 to 519

I currently have a z520c and I’m considering a new boat. Can
    some of you that have gone from a 520 to 519 give me your
    opinions? I do fish 3 in the boat a lot and I’m concerned about
    room. Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve had two Z520s and two Z519s, three if you count a Z119 which was essentially the same hull. Opinions about what would be the question. 520 is bigger and typically 2-4 mph faster. Because it’s bigger and heavier, the 520 also rides smoother, especially in very rough water. But the latest editions of the Z519 [since 2020] are a bit longer, deeper, and heavier than before, so the ride of the Z519 now is more comfortable than 2019 and earlier. I used to say that, in 2 foot waves and bigger, the Z520 rode 1/3 smoother than a Z519. Now I’d estimate they are a little closer in ride. Both are extremely stable fishing platforms: like fishing from a dock as the saying goes. The Z520 is 6 inches wider at the front pedestal, though, so if multiple people are fishing from the front deck, that difference will be felt. 66 inches for the Z519 and 72 for the Z520, last time I measured. At 19’9”, though, the Z519 offers plenty of room for 3 anglers if they space themselves. Personally, I prefer the Z519 for my type of fishing, which includes a lot of docks and tight spaces as well as a fair amount of open water like Lake Erie. If I frequently fished big-money tournaments on really big water, I’d go with the Z520, but I have no qualms about taking my 519 from Sandusky to Detroit or even beyond, unless it’s really rough. It’s all a matter of how far you want to go, in what conditions, and how fast.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I have owned both and will take the Z520c everyday over the Z519, especially with three people fishing out of it. Wider front deck and more cockpit area makes the Z520c fit my needs.

The only reason to go with the Z519 is if garage storage is an issue.

Resale for the Z520c will be better
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 01-11-2023 at 10:44 AM.

4. Member
    John, Do you think they will come out with a 519 R boat?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    John, Do you think they will come out with a 519 R boat?
    I’d say more likely they will not. Price point would be, imo, the biggest consideration. Also, the biggest and most expensive bells and whistles go on what the company considers their quote/unquote tournament boats. The economy and rate of inflation over the next 12-18 months will go a long way to informing us how the bass boat market is likely to proceed. Another, much sooner indicator might be this year’s boat shows, which start very soon. I’ll ask my industry sources but won’t expect to hear much before May or June. Good question anyway!

6. Member
    Have owned both, both great boats. Depends on what you want to do with them and the kind of water you fish. The 520 would be my first choice for all around fishing.

The 519 is the best for tight places, coves, rocks, and especially DOCKS !! It also fits easier into a standard garage. That said, I love my 205
    ( 520 basically ) as I have a shop to keep it in and only a few times a year that docks come into play. Great to in bigger water !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    519 deck is almost as wide as a 520 and wider than a 521 1 foot less in length 60" at rear of TM pedal--68" across the seat hole--82.5 at rear of carpet on front deck and 85" across the rear seat hole. not many boats out there with more deck width. 20-21 will have a ft or two more length
    Last edited by mactlman; 01-09-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    As a 519 owner there are very few days that I don't wish I had a 520.

10. Member
    I was hesitant at first when I picked up my 2022 Ranger Z519 I thought I would miss the big 521 and 520's I was used too but after a few trips out I love how that 519 handles and fishes. Stayed dry in some good 2 to 3 foot rollers when I was up north last spring, was able to get in the skinny backwaters on the Mississippi overall I am glad I went to 19'10 boat !

11. Member
    I’d say more likely they will not. Price point would be, imo, the biggest consideration. Also, the biggest and most expensive bells and whistles go on what the company considers their quote/unquote tournament boats. The economy and rate of inflation over the next 12-18 months will go a long way to informing us how the bass boat market is likely to proceed. Another, much sooner indicator might be this year’s boat shows, which start very soon. I’ll ask my industry sources but won’t expect to hear much before May or June. Good question anyway!

Not looking for a 519R as I think adding something like RIDE, for example, will add to the price. For me, just having the options of port side rod tube delete and storage between the seats will be a win on the current 519 Cup.

12. Member
    If you go with the 519 get the 225 hp motor, don't under power it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 73 Stag's Leap View Post

Not looking for a 519R as I think adding something like RIDE, for example, will add to the price. For me, just having the options of port side rod tube delete and storage between the seats will be a win on the current 519 Cup.

port side with no tubes just a divider like the 520 has, and starboard side with the front of the big locker opened up way farther forward would help immensely!!! small Starboard day box delete also for bigger locker a good option?
    Last edited by mactlman; 06-29-2023 at 08:14 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

14. Member
    Really good to hear some feedback on the 519. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I currently have a Z118 and was debating between getting a 518 or a 519. I was looking for a little more horsepower and a touch more deck space. I rarely fish big lakes and always fish docks to there was no appeal to a 21' boat to me. If anyone has gone from the 118/518 to the 519, I would be interested in hearing about the noticeable differences.
    5 Short of a limit

15. Member
    Had a 520 and Z20 before going to my Z519. Don't notice much difference, but don't fish huge water (most lakes under 30,000 acres). My 519 is about 2mph faster (maybe because of less things stored on it?). I did get the 519 because of garage storage, but have not regretted it at all.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    Had a 520 and Z20 before going to my Z519. Don't notice much difference, but don't fish huge water (most lakes under 30,000 acres). My 519 is about 2mph faster (maybe because of less things stored on it?). I did get the 519 because of garage storage, but have not regretted it at all.
    What is the mph on the 519? I am looking for low mid 70’s?
    Last edited by mactlman; 01-19-2023 at 09:00 PM.
    MAGA

17. Member
    Thanks for all the input guy’s I really appreciate it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    port side with no tubes just a divider like the 520 has, and starboard side with the front of the big locker opened up war farther forward would help immensely!!! small Starboard day box delete also for bigger locker a good option?
    I attended the Sacramento Sportsman’s Expo yesterday and spoke to the area WRG rep. He’s a great guy who’s a tourney fisherman and for years has had a local radio show/podcast on fishing related topics. He’s got a great reputation for stepping in and making things right on issues involving WRG boats.

I asked him about the port side rod tube delete. He pulled out his iPad and logged onto the internal Ranger website and didn’t see a factory option. He didn’t have any info as to whether the delete would become available for the current build model or if they had a newer 519 version coming that would have that option.

As for the glove box between the seats, that would incur a top cap modification and he didn’t see that happening if they didn’t see demand. Yet the 518 on the expo floor had a glove box and is a current option. So, 518 guys want the glove box but 519 guys don’t? Go figure…
    Mactlman, sorry I forgot to ask about taking out the day box on the starboard side to increase storage.

I told the rep and the local dealers I didn’t want an R boat or any options that would raise the base price – just the three options mentioned in this thread that we would pay to have if we wanted any one of them.

My takeaway from the show is: 1) for those who want these options on the 519, we need to be vocal to our local dealers and local WRG reps so they can show that there is demand for these options; 2) jc2bg, please pass my inputs and others on this thread to your factory contacts.

I know it’s a different hull design but my previous and current Ranger that I ordered new had the tube delete option. And it’s only 4 screws on the 819PHX to take out the rod tubes. And there is a glove box option. Just saying…

19. Member
    Sorry, should be 919PHX. See, it even pains me to type the correct Phoenix model number...

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ll do my best to pass ideas along, but I’m not sure what is meant by a glove box between seats. Both of my recent Z519s have had a “coin box” between the seats. Below is an interior shot of my current 2022. Where or how would a glove box fit into this picture? Also, I use the heck out of the day box on the starboard side. Always have in all of my Rangers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast